Ice cream sandwich.....those in the know please explain

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that it means much for us from a T-Mobile/LG aspect. When ICS gets released, our devs for the G2x will surely pounce on it and whip up something cold and sweet for us. But don't look to T-Mobile/LG to do anything with it.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure the G2x hardware can handle ICS. I keep reading these articles that refer to the hardware in certain phones not being able to handle ICS. I suspect they are talking about the chip and other internals that don't have the capability to work with the software.

A good example is my iMac. It is several generations old (about 3 1/2 years to be exact). It has a dual-core Intel chip in it with 3 gigs of internal memory and a 250 gig hard drive. I use Boot Camp to partition the drive and have Windows XP on the drive. All that said, my Intel chip can't handle Windows 7 so I am stuck with XP. If I want to move to Windows 7 it will mean a move to a newer iMac. I suspect the same is with the G2x, it was built around Gingerbread and that is it. As much as I like the G2x I am thinking of moving back to an HTC phone sometime in January. I just don't see LG as being very proactive with phone updates. The G2x still needs another update to take care of some of the glitches left over from 2,2 but I suspect we have seen all the updates to the G2x that we will ever see. It was a pure vanilla androide phone that was never meant for the masses and it didn't sell well enough to garner any further attention from LG or T-Mobile.

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Our phones use a lot of the same hardware used in tablets, I don't imagine that ICS would be too big a step for us.

As far as runnning windows 7, I was running it on a notebook when it was in beta, and that laptop was about 3 years old at the time. Pentium M (read gassed up pentium 3) with 2 GB and a 160BG hard drive. Ran fine, at least as fast as XP.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I doubt that it means much for us from a T-Mobile/LG aspect. When ICS gets released, our devs for the G2x will surely pounce on it and whip up something cold and sweet for us. But don't look to T-Mobile/LG to do anything with it.

yeah, look to cyanogen or any of the other well known devs to cook up a ics rom that will work with our phne if tmo or lg drops the ball on this (which will most likely happen)

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure the G2x hardware can handle ICS. I keep reading these articles that refer to the hardware in certain phones not being able to handle ICS. I suspect they are talking about the chip and other internals that don't have the capability to work with the software.

A good example is my iMac. It is several generations old (about 3 1/2 years to be exact). It has a dual-core Intel chip in it with 3 gigs of internal memory and a 250 gig hard drive. I use Boot Camp to partition the drive and have Windows XP on the drive. All that said, my Intel chip can't handle Windows 7 so I am stuck with XP. If I want to move to Windows 7 it will mean a move to a newer iMac. I suspect the same is with the G2x, it was built around Gingerbread and that is it. As much as I like the G2x I am thinking of moving back to an HTC phone sometime in January. I just don't see LG as being very proactive with phone updates. The G2x still needs another update to take care of some of the glitches left over from 2,2 but I suspect we have seen all the updates to the G2x that we will ever see. It was a pure vanilla androide phone that was never meant for the masses and it didn't sell well enough to garner any further attention from LG or T-Mobile.

Fuzion would help?

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah right.....we will never officially see ICS on our devices. But then again it is nice to dream. Between LG and TMO they will surely find a way to hold this up. Never again buying an LG smartphone. Dumbphone yes....anything with an IQ north of 70 no.

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The hardware is more than capable, but LG gave up on the G2x a long time ago. I'm another one that will never buy another LG phone.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The hardware is more than capable, but LG gave up on the G2x a long time ago. I'm another one that will never buy another LG phone.

Yep...No more LG smartphones for me. Good phones but horrible support from the co. I feel like once they push out a device that is it on to the next one and f... everyone that might have a problem with the last device. And again I am not complaining about ICS cause I know not to buy a phone for future updates, but geez at least push out an update to fix the lingering bugs that still plague the device even with GB. That is all I want, and I do not think that is too much to ask. But I learned my lesson. Fool me once shame on you, twice shame on me.