1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

Default Is The G2x Dead In The Water

Being that the G2x was the first dual core Android phone and pure vanilla at that, I am wondering if anyone thinks that T-Mobile and LG are letting it die a slow death. My feeling (and personal opinion) is that I will be shocked if it gets ICS when it comes out. I believe the hardware and chip set can handle ICS, I just think that due to a lack of sales (and new phones coming out with ICS in the near future) it is now relegated to the back room. One of the ways that is telling is the number of manufacturers that have come out with cases for itor, lack thereof. Not many and even those that did have nothing special for the phone. Even Case-Mate and Otter Box have not attempted cases for the phone. Actually, Otter Box did have it on their web site at one point as "Coming Soon"... then it disappeared off the site. Pretty telling. As much as I like the G2x it may be time to consider one of the newer phones coming out at T-Mobile in the next couple of months.

Default Re: Is The G2x Dead In The Water

I hope you're wrong but I also have the feeling that you have it right.
    I have kept my phone in its factory state so far as I didn't want to mess with rooting etc... but if I don't hear anything from LG and/or T-Mo when CM9 comes out, I'll be installing it

ROM
    Stock ROM, rooted

The phone is more than capable of ICS, but I don't think we'll see anything from LG or T-Mobile concerning ICS except broken promises.

If the source for ICS is released (it should be), then we'll have ICS flavored ROMs, but only then. Don't depend on LG or T-Mobile.
    Lindel -- T-Mobile LG G2X

They already said that the ICS source will be released. LG won't do anything because they wrote the phone off as a failure as soon as it was released. T-Mobile can't do anything. Devs are our only friends here.

Well, it's official, here you go:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

I think its pretty clear that the G2x is done and over in terms of any updates. The phone didn't sell well to begin with, even though it really is a fantastic piece of equipment, and the issues these had out of the box was a total deal killer. I have to admit that mine works nearly flawless and is the best Android phone I have had to date... but no ICS update will relagate it to my 10 year old later this year when I move back to HTC and she gets her first mobile phone. LG has done themselves a major disservice with how they have handled the G2x in terms of the consumer. I for one will never buy an LG phone again.

There is confusion on what LG's official statement is.

Read the comments for a statement from LG.

Just reading between the lines, but it's looking like no ICS for Optimus 2X, but maybe on the G2x.

ROM
    Stock ROM, rooted

LG has already stated that neither platform will get anymore updates. If we get ICS, it'll be because of the devs, no one else.

That said, I'll keep mine till I'm eligible for an update from T-Mobile, then I'll move on to something else from HTC or Samsung. There will be other top-notch phones in the future to choose from, and quad cores are just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by lindel View Post
    LG has already stated that neither platform will get anymore updates. If we get ICS, it'll be because of the devs, no one else.

That said, I'll keep mine till I'm eligible for an update from T-Mobile, then I'll move on to something else from HTC or Samsung. There will be other top-notch phones in the future to choose from, and quad cores are just around the corner.
    Where have they said this?

ROM
    Stock ROM, rooted

My bad, I didn't read the article at androidandme.com closely enough. I still don't think we'll see anything from LG or T-Mobile tho. If your G2x is stock with the OTA, then you're running GB on a Froyo kernel. Basically still a broken phone since GB doesn't make use of a dual core processor.

Nvidia has yet to release any of the drivers for their proc, LG has yet to release a kernel for GB, why would they bother with ICS?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lindel View Post
    My bad, I didn't read the article at androidandme.com closely enough. I still don't think we'll see anything from LG or T-Mobile tho. If your G2x is stock with the OTA, then you're running GB on a Froyo kernel. Basically still a broken phone since GB doesn't make use of a dual core processor.

Nvidia has yet to release any of the drivers for their proc, LG has yet to release a kernel for GB, why would they bother with ICS?
    Doesn't make efficient use. It definitely uses both cores, though.

Sent from my SGS II
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Update: LG has contacted us to let us know they have not yet made a decision on whether to bring Ice Cream Sandwich to the Optimus 2X or G2x. LG is still testing Ice Cream Sandwich on those two devices, and the ultimate decision on whether or not these devices will see the update will depend not only on the devices’ ability to handle ICS, but also whether or not the user experience with ICS on these devices will be a good one. My sincerest apologies to readers and LG.

[LG Official Statements on Ice Cream Sandwich OS Update]

LG firmly denies the rumors that claim LG will not be providing the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) OS update for the LG Optimus 2X. These rumors are NOT true. LG is currently in the process of planning the ICS OS update for the LG Optimus 2X as well as other LG high-end smartphones. Detailed information on the ICS OS update schedule for specific models will be announced, once the ICS OS is publicly released by Google. Please stay tuned for more updates from LG.

Thank you very much.
    I guess they heard us.