Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Arrow G2X worth this price?

Hello All,

I am looking at the T-Mobile G2X as my first Android phone. I am coming off a Blackberry Curve so this will be a huge upgrade. I was looking at getting a used MyTouch 4G or a new Samsung Exhibit II (non-contract) but a T-Mobile G2X stumbled across my path.

A friend sent his G2X in to get fixed and they sent him a new one. He ordered the S2 the day it came out to use instead. He is asking $225 shipped from his place. I saw on Ebay that new ones go for around $255. I read the G2X was bugging but Gingerbread has fixed that.

Is a new G2X a good deal @ $225? Or are my other options above a better choice?

Thanks!

Default Re: G2X worth this price?

I wouldn't pay that much for one when we don't know if it will get Ice Cream Sandwich yet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    I wouldn't pay that much for one when we don't know if it will get Ice Cream Sandwich yet.
    I read that it will get ICS....

Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' Coming to LG Smartphones | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Also, my budget is around that price. The other options appear to be a used MyTouch 4g or the Samsung Exhibit II

Love my G2X. Awesome phone all around. Check out Costco... I picked mine up for $50 and a 2 year contract.

My - post GB update - G2x still freezes a lot, requiring a battery pull, sometimes a couple of times a day / sometimes not. It has trouble flipping from 2G to 4G when it's available. The GPS only works occasionally...so I can't rely on it for navigation on the road. Prior to the GB update it would often turn itself off while charging but that seems to have been fixed. IMO, LG and T-Mobile have done a horrible job of QA testing this device.

T-Mobile has also disavowed any responsibility for the quality issues. When asked - via online chat with support - whether they accepted any responsibility for the quality problems with the phone, their response was:

"Unfortunately, we do not. Just like you expected a reliable sufficient device so did we. The manufacturer is responsible for the issues with the device."

They then offered me a used replacement - that they would not guarantee - for a $20 exchange fee.

On the other hand, it's very fast - when it works - and I like stock Android. In your situation, and given my experience, I don't think I'd gamble more than $50 on a used one.

TMo had a online special and I got two G2X for free, they will be here Monday. They might still have the special.

Sent from within my pocket.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Quote Originally Posted by spacecrusader View Post
    I read that it will get ICS....

Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' Coming to LG Smartphones | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Also, my budget is around that price. The other options appear to be a used MyTouch 4g or the Samsung Exhibit II

It might get it, but not any time soon. Heck I don't even expect it to hit the G2x till way after I am on to a new phone....and I still have 15 months left on this contract. That is how little faith I have left on this device and LG as a whole (at least its mobile devices.) They won't get me again that is for sure. No more LG smartphones for me.

ROM
    Stock ROM, rooted

I have to agree with rizzman. I'll be extremely surprised if LG doles out ICS anytime in the next year. It'll be easier to get when I can upgrade; to a non-LG phone. Most likely Samsung or HTC. Motorola has already ticked me off by not unlocking the bootloader on their phones after promising to do so.

I might even consider apple or a win7 phone
    Lindel -- T-Mobile LG G2X

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Quote Originally Posted by lindel View Post
    I have to agree with rizzman. I'll be extremely surprised if LG doles out ICS anytime in the next year. It'll be easier to get when I can upgrade; to a non-LG phone. Most likely Samsung or HTC. Motorola has already ticked me off by not unlocking the bootloader on their phones after promising to do so.

I might even consider apple or a win7 phone
    Yep I would be extremely surprised too if we see ICS anytime sooner than 6-9 months down the road. I mean look how long it took LG to push out a GB update for device knowing fully well that there were issues with the phone that could have been fixed with the new OS. SO yeah I think I am done with LG smart-phones for a while. They make great dumb-phones. Once the the devices' IQs go north of 100, beware.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Well there we have it. Looks like the Optimus 2X will get ICS....oh wait...we have the G2x. Something tells me we are going to get screwed on this one.