Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G2X Review (Network issues - Wait for Android 2.3)

Before anyone makes a pointless comment, let me introduce myself and advise you a bit of my background. I have 11 years experience as a systems engineer and know technology well. Regardless of its Linux, Unix, AIX, HP-UX, or Windows...

That being said and now out of the way.

Purchased a brand new G2X yesterday. Used old SIM in new G2X, had the CSR update the PRL, IMEI, and other pertinent information before leaving the store. Made sure the phone could acquire a 4G and 2G signal. Performed a sync of my Google data (which took longer than normal, shouldve been a warning sign) and off I went on my merry way....

First things to note about the G2X and its current configuration:

Android 2.2 doesn't take advantage of the dual core processors hardware. In laymen terms, think how Windows XP cannot take full advantage of a SSD because it doesn't have TRIM support, or how Windows Server 2003 Standard is limited to run on up to 4 CPUs regardless if installed on an 8 socket physical box. The hardware (regardless of how good) is OS bound. Android 2.3 will resolve this, but for now the OS really isn't performing as well as it could and should. I understand this, hence why I am not bashing this phone or calling it a POS. It is technically in its RC phase currently from a software perspective and was most likely released earlier than LG wanted due to a push from T-Mobile. When 2.3 is released I will consider this phone truly production ready. Moving on.

1. Slow data speeds on 4G connection compared to MyTouch 4G. VERY SLOW! Constantly buffering YouTube, unstable network connectivity, slow loading of basic web pages consisting of all static content. Constantly bouncing between 2G, 3G and 4G. Tried setting to WCDMA only had no change on data speeds. When tethering (using wifi or USB) the data connection was also slow. Thinking this was a unique issue to a single device (mine) I checked with various other people I work with and they all confirmed similar performance. Replaced SIM and device, and had same performance issues. The average user would perhaps never notice the difference between 1.5mbps vs 6mbps but when you tether daily for work tunneling through a VPN, you will surely notice higher latency or worse performance. Summary: Latency higher, speeds slower, connectivity unstable.

2. Poor battery life as compared to MyTouch 4G. Though this could be expected with a dual core processor that has each processor operating at "same speed" frequencies. Though I honestly somewhat expected this.

3. Camera wasnt impressive. Regardless of 8MP, it still wasnt very good with shutter speed and focus. Same with front facing camera.

4. Wifi couldnt not see my Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem (regardless of the settings) though my MyTouch 4G and other Android devices can see it and connect without an issues.

5. When connected via USB it always wants to mount the storage volume to my laptop, car, etc. I could not find a setting to disable auto mounting volume and to USB charge only. (i may have overlooked this as i didnt spend much time)

6. Default Webkit browser sucks. They shouldve included a bit more to it, like full HTML support. Pinch to zoom works but doesnt resize text on screen. Little functionalities like this shouldve been included even if they intend to leave the OS mostly stripped down.

7. Screen is good. Not great, but good. Wouldve liked to see higher res or maybe a 3.7" screen for the res they used, but overall its good. Still hard to see in direct sunlight though.

8. Shape is weird. The bottom of the bezel is too long. They shouldve trimmed that, even if it meant making the device a tad bit thicker. Instead it makes the device feel top heavy since the weight is at the top and the bottom teeter totters.

So. In summary. Got the phone, wasnt good for what I need (battery, fast and stable network) so I returned it and will patiently wait for either the 2.3 update (which should fix the OS/hardware stuff) or the new HTC device.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gerasimatos View Post
    Before anyone makes a pointless comment, let me introduce myself and advise you a bit of my background. I have 11 years experience as a systems engineer and know technology well. Regardless of its Linux, Unix, AIX, HP-UX, or Windows...

That being said and now out of the way.

Purchased a brand new G2X yesterday. Used old SIM in new G2X, had the CSR update the PRL, IMEI, and other pertinent information before leaving the store. Made sure the phone could acquire a 4G and 2G signal. Performed a sync of my Google data (which took longer than normal, shouldve been a warning sign) and off I went on my merry way....

First things to note about the G2X and its current configuration:

Android 2.2 doesn't take advantage of the dual core processors hardware. In laymen terms, think how Windows XP cannot take full advantage of a SSD because it doesn't have TRIM support, or how Windows Server 2003 Standard is limited to run on up to 4 CPUs regardless if installed on an 8 socket physical box. The hardware (regardless of how good) is OS bound. Android 2.3 will resolve this, but for now the OS really isn't performing as well as it could and should. I understand this, hence why I am not bashing this phone or calling it a POS. It is technically in its RC phase currently from a software perspective and was most likely released earlier than LG wanted due to a push from T-Mobile. When 2.3 is released I will consider this phone truly production ready. Moving on.

1. Slow data speeds on 4G connection compared to MyTouch 4G. VERY SLOW! Constantly buffering YouTube, unstable network connectivity, slow loading of basic web pages consisting of all static content. Constantly bouncing between 2G, 3G and 4G. Tried setting to WCDMA only had no change on data speeds. When tethering (using wifi or USB) the data connection was also slow. Thinking this was a unique issue to a single device (mine) I checked with various other people I work with and they all confirmed similar performance. Replaced SIM and device, and had same performance issues. The average user would perhaps never notice the difference between 1.5mbps vs 6mbps but when you tether daily for work tunneling through a VPN, you will surely notice higher latency or worse performance. Summary: Latency higher, speeds slower, connectivity unstable.

2. Poor battery life as compared to MyTouch 4G. Though this could be expected with a dual core processor that has each processor operating at "same speed" frequencies. Though I honestly somewhat expected this.

3. Camera wasnt impressive. Regardless of 8MP, it still wasnt very good with shutter speed and focus. Same with front facing camera.

4. Wifi couldnt not see my Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem (regardless of the settings) though my MyTouch 4G and other Android devices can see it and connect without an issues.

5. When connected via USB it always wants to mount the storage volume to my laptop, car, etc. I could not find a setting to disable auto mounting volume and to USB charge only. (i may have overlooked this as i didnt spend much time)

6. Default Webkit browser sucks. They shouldve included a bit more to it, like full HTML support. Pinch to zoom works but doesnt resize text on screen. Little functionalities like this shouldve been included even if they intend to leave the OS mostly stripped down.

7. Screen is good. Not great, but good. Wouldve liked to see higher res or maybe a 3.7" screen for the res they used, but overall its good. Still hard to see in direct sunlight though.

8. Shape is weird. The bottom of the bezel is too long. They shouldve trimmed that, even if it meant making the device a tad bit thicker. Instead it makes the device feel top heavy since the weight is at the top and the bottom teeter totters.

So. In summary. Got the phone, wasnt good for what I need (battery, fast and stable network) so I returned it and will patiently wait for either the 2.3 update (which should fix the OS/hardware stuff) or the new HTC device.

Cheers!
    1.-I found my speeds to be about the same in my area (Central Florida-Orlando)

2.-100% Agreed!

3.-Again, Agreed.

4.-Wi-Fi is definitely flaky.

5.-Nope, it isn't present. You must manually make the choice.

6.-Hence why I keep using Dolphin.

7.-Agree yet again.

8.-Shape is ok. I had a Droid X, so it was no concern here.

I'm with you in just about every regard and I'm switching back to my MT4G tonight. I had high hopes, but it just didn't meet my expectations either. Sensation, looks like it's your turn up next.
    Moto Droid 1->HTC Droid Incredible->Moto Droid X->HTC MyTouch 4G->T-Mo G2X(RETURNED)->HTC Sensation->Sony Xperia Play (The PlayStation Phone)
    VCL

Sounds to me you wouldn't be happy whatever you had. I find the data speeds to be 2 gb faster then my MyTouch 4G. The build quality is excellent. Sorry but I think it's the best phone out on the market to date.

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by VCL View Post
    Sounds to me you wouldn't be happy whatever you had. I find the data speeds to be 2 gb faster then my MyTouch 4G. The build quality is excellent. Sorry but I think it's the best phone out on the market to date.
    im in agreement as well, I had a Droid X then I went through 2 Dinc's and a Galaxy S 4G, so I'm pretty happy with the G2X

Default G2x Slow Internet

i have full bars 4g in my area and when i had the MT4G it was great. super fast DL and UL speeds, but with the G2x. the internet is terrible. and i know im not the only one. 2 of my friends are having the same issues...i hope TMO sends out an update quick or im returning it. love the phone. hate the web speeds
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would love to see screenshots of these slower speeds. I'm getting faster speeds on the G2X compared to the myTouch 4G.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Unhappy

I'm having issues with the phone too, and I also compared data speeds
    with the MyTouch 4G while wifi hotspotting at my workplace.
    The laptop was real snappy with the MT4G internet,
    but slow, laggy. or no signal at all with the G2X.

I'm on my second G2X and have yet to see the 3G icon, on either phone for that matter.
    Its either 2G or 4G and is always UMTS, even though this area is 21mbps 4G.
    Monday I'm going to try wifi hotspotting it again with this replacement phone
    but I'm not having too much confidence anything will change.

If its the same result the phones going back for a refund and I'll wait for the Sensation.
    Maybe HTC will have their phone ready for prime time.

Hebrews 13:8

yeah i will probably return this phone also. and wait for June when sensation hits. i think they released it to early. and to the people that are saying they are having better speeds....why are so many people reporting slower speeds?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Every phone has some release day issues. I'm sure a software update will fix many of them. Yes, it sucks, but at the same time is a fact of life.

What you don't hear about are the thousands of people NOT having any issues with the phone. I'm one of those people. I'm not experiencing any of the bugs that some of you guys are.

On a side note...I do have screenshots of speedtests from the G2X and myTouch 4G that were taken at the same time showing that my speeds are better. I'm not sure if my area has the 21mbps upgrade or not yet.

what do you suggest for others like me having these issues? and yeah i hope they do fix it.

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

You guys are complaining about seeing 2g and 4g on the phone. It doesn't show 3g on the status bar. Just 2g (edge) and 4g (hspa/hspa+). So the sensation is the phone of the future? Are you guys serious? I have a G2, had a G1, messed around with an Evo. Htc phones have the worst battery life of any phone available. Hands down. Stick with your G2x. Trust me, it will be better than the Sensation. Plus, it has stock android. By the time the Sensation comes out, the G2x will have Gingerbread I'm sure. I have had my phone since the 21st and I have only had one reboot. I say exchange it until you get one that works. Tmobile is aware of the issues and I don't think they would give you a problem.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

what do you suggest for others like me having these issues? and yeah i hope they do fix it.
    Keep exchanging it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

None of the issues that I've had are unique to the G2x. I know my house is in a 'bermuda triangle' for all cell carriers, so I'm used to having issues every now and then.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    None of the issues that I've had are unique to the G2x. I know my house is in a 'bermuda triangle' for all cell carriers, so I'm used to having issues every now and then.
    And I spoke too soon. I'm having issues more often than I used to.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Keep exchanging it.
    I've had no screen issues or rebooting either, with either phone.
    And once I killed the battery completely, turned it on a couple times
    when it was dead, then recharged it, I've had no battery issues either,
    with either phone.

Just poor to zero data at my workplace, with both phones.

I'm just having a tough time paying $500 for a phone with unacceptable data
    problems when I already have a MyTouch 4G that has no data problems, and is
    soon to get Gingerbread.

I dont think I'm going to let my 14 day buyers remorse period go by without
    returning the phone for a refund.

If they get the issues worked out in a few weeks I can always pick up one on Craigslist.
    I'm already seeing them new in sealed box for $400 on there.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And I think its going back. Its been a lot more spotty, but I can't tell if its the phone or the network. The signal drops frequently, but without it showing on the display. I've also had a fair bit of trouble with text messages refusing to send.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Download Mobile Signal Widget from the market. It gives you a lot more accurate reading on your signal strength.

If you are having signal problems you will definitely have trouble with text messages going through.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Download Mobile Signal Widget from the market. It gives you a lot more accurate reading on your signal strength.

If you are having signal problems you will definitely have trouble with text messages going through.
    Its been happening a lot. It's actually really strange. One of the messages was sending for 15 minutes before it notified me of the failure.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I ended up returning mine today. I love the phone to death, but the network was giving me too much trouble. The rep that helped me sounded like I wasn't the first customer from my side of town to return a device because of iffy coverage.

Ill miss the little dual core beast, but I need a network that works all the time. Hopefully VZW will get a dual core sooner rather than later.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bionic = Later

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bionic = Later

It just sucks. The G2X was my PERFECT android device. Fantastic hardware, great IPS screen, dual-core. And it was all let down by the network. If I knew I was going to be by a city when I get a full time job I would have no qualms dealing with it for now, but I don't know for sure.

I really contemplated just swallowing the problems for now, but I couldn't. I'm really disappointed with this. Now the question becomes: trade in my Thunderbolt for a Charge whenever it is released, or go back to my Droid X and just wait it out until the Bionic is released. Or, I could do the dreaded thing and get a Motorola Atrix on AT&T...
    Last edited by Droid800; 05-02-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Whoa! Change of situation!

Just checked t-mobile's coverage map (and gave customer service a quick call), and T-mobile is in the process of bringing a new tower online in my area that should shore up coverage. I tried checking this last night, but their coverage locator kept spitting out an error. That changes everything. I know right now there is only two towers running t-mobile for my town of 150,000. (hence the problems.) I'm actually sort of shocked the rep at the store wasn't aware of this expansion.

Needless to say, I'm irritated now. Customer service apologize profusely and said I can go back into the store and do a win-back tomorrow if I want.

Not sure I will though. I think I'll stick with Verizon for now, and start saving my pennies for paying full price on the Bionic when it eventually comes out.
    Last edited by Droid800; 05-03-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Unhappy The Rubber Meets The Road

Well I got to test the 2nd G2X today at my workplace.
    Same result as the 1st one.
    Tomorrow would be the 14th day so I returned it today for a refund.
    I did not want to return it in the worst way but the reality of it is
    this phone has the worst reception of any phone I've tried at my
    work location.

Back to the MyTouch 4G again which works great as a wifi hotspot
    in the metal building where I work.
    The MT4G is supposed to get Gingerbread soon I've been hearing.

Now who needs a couple protective cases for a G2X ?

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Whoa! Change of situation!

Just checked t-mobile's coverage map (and gave customer service a quick call), and T-mobile is in the process of bringing a new tower online in my area that should shore up coverage. I tried checking this last night, but their coverage locator kept spitting out an error. That changes everything. I know right now there is only two towers running t-mobile for my town of 150,000. (hence the problems.) I'm actually sort of shocked the rep at the store wasn't aware of this expansion.

Needless to say, I'm irritated now. Customer service apologize profusely and said I can go back into the store and do a win-back tomorrow if I want.

Not sure I will though. I think I'll stick with Verizon for now, and start saving my pennies for paying full price on the Bionic when it eventually comes out.
    How far along are they in that process, though? It can take quite a while to get through all the hoops to put up a tower.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How far along are they in that process, though? It can take quite a while to get through all the hoops to put up a tower.
    I've no idea. They wouldn't tell me that, they just said that there was a new one in the area. As much as I love the G2X, though, I've decided to stick with Verizon and LTE for now. I can always ebay the Charge if there's a dual-core phone I want.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast