LG G2X, Quad band 3G and the AT&T merger ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
At this point it is pretty much proven that the phone does not support at&t 3G bands (nor the European 3G bands) making the phone useless outside of AWS areas (i.e. T-Mobile USA and some small networks in Canada).

As everyone knows at&t is looking to merge with t-mobile. Not only will at&t shut down t-mobile's AWS 3G in order to deploy their 4G LTE, but as part of the merger t-mobile customers get free roaming on at&t's network RIGHT NOW. This will also continue even if the merger does NOT happen.

As such this would have been one of the best phones in the world, if it had actually had quad band 3G, since you would have had access to two networks in the US and you would have had a much more future proof device - can you say great coverage.

And yet, t-mobile continues to advertise the phone as a quad band device and their responses, if you ask them about it, are flat out lies.

I urge you to:
1. get on twitter and dump on @tmobile for false advertising and misleading customers.
2. email and "tip" blogs and newspapers about this story and get them to write a negative/scathing review of the phone and tmobile's tactics.
3. email t-mobile's executive customer care at ExecutiveResponse@T-Mobile.com
4. go out and buy the phone at full retail and return it (opened) because of false advertising

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
And yet, t-mobile continues to advertise the phone as a quad band device and their responses, if you ask them about it, are flat out lies.

I urge you to:
1. get on twitter and dump on @tmobile for false advertising and misleading customers.
2. email and "tip" blogs and newspapers about this story and get them to write a negative/scathing review of the phone and tmobile's tactics.
3. email t-mobile's executive customer care at ExecutiveResponse@T-Mobile.com
4. go out and buy the phone at full retail and return it (opened) because of false advertising

I'll save you some time here.
I need a name and contact information for the people "flat out lying".
I need a link to the advertising that says it will work on AT&T or European 3G bands.

That's the reply you, or anyone else will receive from any newspaper or blog that's reputable if you start sending in emails. If you can provide them, I'll make sure hundreds of thousands of people see your complaint. If not, I can't help you.

And numbers one and four in your numbered list show your character, so you may want to tweak that part a bit if you want to be taken seriously.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll save you some time here.
I need a name and contact information for the people "flat out lying".
I need a link to the advertising that says it will work on AT&T or European 3G bands.

That's the reply you, or anyone else will receive from any newspaper or blog that's reputable if you start sending in emails. If you can provide them, I'll make sure hundreds of thousands of people see your complaint. If not, I can't help you.

And numbers one and four in your numbered list show your character, so you may want to tweak that part a bit if you want to be taken seriously.

I don't really appreciate your tone. Did I attack you personally? Do you work for T-Mobile and are you responsible for this scam?
If you have the power to make "hundreds of thousands of people" see the complaint, why don't you actually DO SOMETHING about the situation?
It would have been nice to get a "Thank you for pointing this out". Instead, you essentially attack me for warning people about a scam.
I believe that people interested in buying this phone would like to hear this, so maybe this topic should be stickied?
Android Central could, of course, also do the right thing and INVESTIGATE AND REPORT about this scam, instead of asking someone else to do all the dirty work.

So to save you and other people some time, even though you obviously aren't even going to thank me:

Link to people reporting quad band 3G NOT working and responses from T-Mobile, including a response from T-Mobile Executive Customer Service:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1041402

T-Mobile Website LYING about the specs:
The LG G2x 4G Android Phone | T-Mobile (this page was put up today as far as I can tell!)

The previous product page for the phone (click on specs):
Unsupported Browser

All of them list QUAD band 3G:
UMTS/HSPA+: AWS Band IV / 2100 / 1900 / 850

You can also check pretty much EVERY REVIEW for this phone touted that fact that it was quad band and was therefore going to be (i) future-proof due to the merger, (ii) would be able to take advantage of at&t's 3G network due to the new roaming agreement for t-mobile users and (iii) would be a great phone for off-contract at&t (and rogers/telus) customers that wants a Tegra 2 unlocked phone.

PS: Yes, I admit #1 and #4 of my suggestions might be a little over the top, but with tech reviewers, journalists, and bloggers totally failing us customers, they are the only ways normal customers can really affect a company like T-Mobile: hit (i) their PR department and (ii) their bottom line.

Last edited:

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
And to really drive this point home: this does not only affect at&t/telus/rogers/... users that want to buy the phone for use on those networks!!!
T-Mobile customers get to use at&t frequencies as part of the merger agreement with at&T, i.e. T-Mobile customers should get MUCH BETTER RECEPTION with this phone. But T-Mobile LIED and they don't.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea if GSMArena is accurate when it comes to specs (though I have used their site in the past and it has been accurate) but according to their site the G2X does support UMTS (3G) @ 850/1900/1700/2100.

T-Mobile G2x - Full phone specifications

I just checked with T-mobile.com and according to their own website the G2X supports UMTS/HSPA+ AWS Band IV/2100/1900/850.

I took a screen grab, but I have no idea how to post it to this thread.

Dan

Last edited:

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
And doesn't LG's website show the same thing...?

LG P999 Cell Phones & Mobile Phones - LG Electronics US

I'm going to have to agree with the people on the XDA developers forum that you posted and say that I think those bands must be temporarily disabled. Why would T-
Mobile want a brand new, exclusive phone, to be able to work on a competitor's network when the merger hasn't even gone through? It wouldn't make sense for those bands to be active right now when there's no reason for any T-MOBILE customer to need them on.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, they are advertising it as working .... BUT IT DOES NOT WORK! Is it that hard to follow and read the links I posted?
And as I said: it also affects T-Mobile customers as they would be able to roam on at&t's 3G network if this was working.

And I love the fact that hundreds of people report that it DOESN'T WORK and yet some smartasses think that pointing to T-Mobile's website is magically going to make those reports incorrect. T-Mobile LIED!!! Do you get it now?

PS: These responses are exactly the reason why it's a pathetic failure on the part of reviewers not to update their reviews and get to the bottom of this story. Andoridcentral has 2 stories about the G2X on the front page now but not one word on this issue. WHAT THE F?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't really appreciate your tone. Did I attack you personally? Do you work for T-Mobile and are you responsible for this scam?
If you have the power to make "hundreds of thousands of people" see the complaint, why don't you actually DO SOMETHING about the situation?
It would have been nice to get a "Thank you for pointing this out". Instead, you essentially attack me for warning people about a scam.
I believe that people interested in buying this phone would like to hear this, so maybe this topic should be stickied?
Android Central could, of course, also do the right thing and INVESTIGATE AND REPORT about this scam, instead of asking someone else to do all the dirty work.

So to save you and other people some time, even though you obviously aren't even going to thank me:

Link to people reporting quad band 3G NOT working and responses from T-Mobile, including a response from T-Mobile Executive Customer Service:
i dont believe g2x has 850mhz UMTS HSPA - xda-developers

T-Mobile Website LYING about the specs:
The LG G2x 4G Android Phone | T-Mobile (this page was put up today as far as I can tell!)

The previous product page for the phone (click on specs):
Unsupported Browser

All of them list QUAD band 3G:

You can also check pretty much EVERY REVIEW for this phone touted that fact that it was quad band and was therefore going to be (i) future-proof due to the merger, (ii) would be able to take advantage of at&t's 3G network due to the new roaming agreement for t-mobile users and (iii) would be a great phone for off-contract at&t (and rogers/telus) customers that wants a Tegra 2 unlocked phone.

PS: Yes, I admit #1 and #4 of my suggestions might be a little over the top, but with tech reviewers, journalists, and bloggers totally failing us customers, they are the only ways normal customers can really affect a company like T-Mobile: hit (i) their PR department and (ii) their bottom line.

I already work more than 90 hours a week. I'm not spending more time chasing hype. The FCC confirmed the phone supports those frequencies. A look at the parts list will tell you the phone supports those frequencies.

Unless the FCC is lying --
Unlock phone
swap baseband
it will work.

You're suggesting the FCC is lying and people should start a mass campaign to contact folks like me, ranting and raving without anything to back up their assertions. I'm just letting you know what to do to be taken seriously. You don't have to try and filter emails like this -- I do. If you don't want to follow my suggestions, thats fine. But if you want me to say T-Mobile is lying, you're going to have to show me where they lied, because all I see are hardware specs and a note that there is no guarantee that any T-mobile phones will work with other providers, which the FCC has proven to be the case. Maybe you should redirect your anger at whoever told you that this means the G2X will work on networks other than T-mobile, because T-Mobile never did, and Android Central never did. I can't invent news -- Editor-in-chief would skin me, and T-Mobile's legal team would have a field day.

That being said, you need to stop insulting other forum members. This is not a request, this is not optional.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, gbhil, I've never read anywhere where it said those bands are working, just that they're there. Anything that has said that they will work is purely speculation and nothing more.

For me it's not a deal breaker because I'm not worried about it and I'm sure the majority of people out there feel the same way. I think we just need to take a deep breath and let it go :)

indelible5

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Not to "pile on", and just my .02$, but both of these statements are how I have interpreted it from day one as well.

I'm going to have to agree with the people on the XDA developers forum that you posted and say that I think those bands must be temporarily disabled.

Agreed, gbhil, I've never read anywhere where it said those bands are working, just that they're there. Anything that has said that they will work is purely speculation and nothing more.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I already work more than 90 hours a week. I'm not spending more time chasing hype. The FCC confirmed the phone supports those frequencies. A look at the parts list will tell you the phone supports those frequencies.

Unless the FCC is lying --
Unlock phone
swap baseband
it will work.

You're suggesting the FCC is lying and people should start a mass campaign to contact folks like me, ranting and raving without anything to back up their assertions. I'm just letting you know what to do to be taken seriously. You don't have to try and filter emails like this -- I do. If you don't want to follow my suggestions, thats fine. But if you want me to say T-Mobile is lying, you're going to have to show me where they lied, because all I see are hardware specs and a note that there is no guarantee that any T-mobile phones will work with other providers, which the FCC has proven to be the case. Maybe you should redirect your anger at whoever told you that this means the G2X will work on networks other than T-mobile, because T-Mobile never did, and Android Central never did. I can't invent news -- Editor-in-chief would skin me, and T-Mobile's legal team would have a field day.

That being said, you need to stop insulting other forum members. This is not a request, this is not optional.

I love it when non-tech people run a tech website.
T-Mobile says the phone works with 850/1900/2100, e.g. if you are a t-mobile user you should be able to get 3g on at&t's 3G, on telus and rogers, or in Europe.
As evidenced by the people who tried this, ALL OF THAT DOES NOT WORK!
But go ahead - stick your head in the sand.
You seem to be a joke when it comes to reporting android news and facts - god knows what you spend 90 hours a week. It must be some pretty ridiculous stuff.

And as far as "insulting" other forum members.
When people post responses without even bothering to read the links, I posted ... maybe I am the one that is being insulted.
But who am I talking to; you obviously did not read one word in the links I posted either.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
With all due respect to GBhil, if I were a regular end user and I saw on T-Mobile's own website that my chosen device works on X frequency, I would expect the device to work on X frequency.

Having said that, I can see where maybe the device does work on X frequency, but only while roaming for example. However, T-Mobile's own website does not make any mention of qualifications to work on X frequency, thus I would expect the device to work on X frequency without qualification.

It is outright lying, no probably not, but it is IMHO confusing.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile says the phone works with 850/1900/2100, e.g. if you are a t-mobile user you should be able to get 3g on at&t's 3G, on telus and rogers, or in Europe.
You seem to be a joke when it comes to reporting android news and facts - god knows what you spend 90 hours a week. It must be some pretty ridiculous stuff.

When people post responses without even bothering to read the links, I posted ... maybe I am the one that is being insulted.
But who am I talking to; you obviously did not read one word in the links I posted either.

Preface: I have no association with Androidcentral (other than being a general member of the forums on the site).

coolVariable, while I am not 100% certain, I believe that GBhil is actually the tech guru for AndroidCentral. If anybody is qualified to run a tech website, it is my understanding that GBHil is that person.

Dan

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Fact -- the hardware in the phone was tested by the FCC and they say what radio bands it is capable of using.

T-Mobile lists these specs.

T-Mobile never once said any of that was operational, nor did they claim the phone would work on any other network. They list hardware specifications, and those match the hardware included in the phone. If someone else said the phone would work outside of T-Mobile, your beef is with them.

Does T-Mobile plan to enable any of this in the future? Maybe. Is it a bug that it's not working? Maybe. But it certainly was never advertised to do anything other than operate on T-Mobile network, and it does.

The only real "fact" here is you want me to put MY NAME on an article claiming that you were lied to by the FCC and T-Mobile. Then you'll need to show me where they lied, not where you assumed. People who bought the Inspire did show me where they were lied to about HSUPA. I broke the story and it was covered by every other tech blog on the internet, because I had facts. I would love to be able to do the same thing here, but I can't, because T-Mobile's only statement on the matter is that they do not guarantee the phone to operate on another network. The biggest thing anyone may be guilty of is being confusing.

We're not on different sides, no matter what you think. I just can't hang my name on this one until someone can provide a source from T-Mo that says it should do something it doesn't.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It is outright lying, no probably not, but it is IMHO confusing.

Dan

THIS! But confusing isn't enough to try to crucify someone from T-Mobile in my opinion. Trust me, I would love to see where T-Mo claimed it would work, because that makes my job very easy.

Preface: I have no association with Androidcentral (other than being a general member of the forums on the site).

coolVariable, while I am not 100% certain, I believe that GBhil is actually the tech guru for AndroidCentral. If anybody is qualified to run a tech website, it is my understanding that GBHil is that person.

Dan

I'm just a dude who like to goof around with shiny things :)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

4387pfhwf#$%%T@v...sorry, just choked when I read that :p

Just to point out a similar situation...The Droid Pro has the 3G bands to work on AT&T, but when you stick the SIM in, it doesn't connect, because Verizon locked it out. Anyone trying to lynch Verizon because of this? No, because they never said it would work on AT&T, just like T-mobile. Personally, I'd be happy that you have a phone that will work post-merger with just an update.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
4387pfhwf#$%%T@v...sorry, just choked when I read that :p

Just to point out a similar situation...The Droid Pro has the 3G bands to work on AT&T, but when you stick the SIM in, it doesn't connect, because Verizon locked it out. Anyone trying to lynch Verizon because of this? No, because they never said it would work on AT&T, just like T-mobile. Personally, I'd be happy that you have a phone that will work post-merger with just an update.

^^^^THIS^^^^

The phone is future-proof. If the merger does happen. I'm sure it was planned this way so that a software update can be issued to make the appropriate changes.

I plan on getting this phone for that specific reason so this issue is near and dear to me. I'm keeping a close eye on it as well, but have not heard T-Mobile say that the AT&T AWS bands are active right now.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Fact -- the hardware in the phone was tested by the FCC and they say what radio bands it is capable of using.

T-Mobile lists these specs.

T-Mobile never once said any of that was operational, nor did they claim the phone would work on any other network. They list hardware specifications, and those match the hardware included in the phone. If someone else said the phone would work outside of T-Mobile, your beef is with them.

Does T-Mobile plan to enable any of this in the future? Maybe. Is it a bug that it's not working? Maybe. But it certainly was never advertised to do anything other than operate on T-Mobile network, and it does.

The only real "fact" here is you want me to put MY NAME on an article claiming that you were lied to by the FCC and T-Mobile. Then you'll need to show me where they lied, not where you assumed. People who bought the Inspire did show me where they were lied to about HSUPA. I broke the story and it was covered by every other tech blog on the internet, because I had facts. I would love to be able to do the same thing here, but I can't, because T-Mobile's only statement on the matter is that they do not guarantee the phone to operate on another network. The biggest thing anyone may be guilty of is being confusing.

We're not on different sides, no matter what you think. I just can't hang my name on this one until someone can provide a source from T-Mo that says it should do something it doesn't.

FACT: T-Mobile lists that the phone works with 850/1900/2100 and AWS (must be hard to click on the 2 links I posted)
FACT: The phone only works with AWS (we have plenty of proof for that, at this point)
FACT: That is the definition of false advertising (False advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

FACT: if you were tech savvy you would "get" points 1-3
FACT: if you had even the slightest journalistic integrity, you would be as upset as the people over on XDA and you would report about

... instead we get some BS about some stupid sign-up page in the news section. Or an article about @tmobile promising "gingerbread soon" for the g2x. How is that more newsworthy than this? It's so ridiculous. I guess reporting (often stupid) rumors about upcoming phones and touting features is ok, but when it comes to holding companies accountable for promises that they made, it is a whole different ballgame. You are probably just another blogger that only runs a "website" in order to get the free phones and devices and you are afraid to spoil your relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.