Hey look: engadget is reporting about the g2x quad band 3G issue

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
At the end of day, anyone that is not happy with the phone should just return it. I still think that it is currently the best Android device available right now.

I agree with that.
Its the fastest phone I've ever had.
But at the end of the day, it wouldnt do what I needed it to do.
And the MyTouch 4G does do what I need it to do.

So no matter how sweet the G2X was, I Just couldnt see paying $500
for a phone that had the poorest data reception of any TMO phone I've had yet.
(at my workplace location)

So I sadly returned it.

I will be there when the Sensation hits I guess......

:(

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow....reading this post is really worrying me I might have chosen the wrong phone! I just left ATT literally two days ago and picked up this device. Now I am reading it might not even work if ATT buys out tmo. I can only hope that there would be some type of incentive to us G2X owners if the device does not work on their frequencies no? Either that or we could get out of out contracts. Boy I hope this is all wrong because I love this device......It has been good the last two days to this android noob just learning the ropes..,,,:)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow....reading this post is really worrying me I might have chosen the wrong phone! I just left ATT literally two days ago and picked up this device. Now I am reading it might not even work if ATT buys out tmo. I can only hope that there would be some type of incentive to us G2X owners if the device does not work on their frequencies no? Either that or we could get out of out contracts. Boy I hope this is all wrong because I love this device......It has been good the last two days to this android noob just learning the ropes..,,,:)

Read some of the later posts. The G2X HAS the hardware capability. It is just locked (for now) to t-mobile's frequencies. If the buyout goes through, ATTmobile would issue a software update to unlock those other frequencies. (assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)

Don't worry. It's going to be more than a year before anything changes.

giffer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Moore's theory

Read some of the later posts. The G2X HAS the hardware capability. It is just locked (for now) to t-mobile's frequencies. If the buyout goes through, ATTmobile would issue a software update to unlock those other frequencies. (assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)

Don't worry. It's going to be more than a year before anything changes.

"(assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)" is the key phrase here. By the time the proposed sale happens, and the networks are merged, very few people will still be using the G2x. A merger (buyout, whatever you wish to call the acquisition of T-Mobile) of this size will be caught up in the red tape and courts for a couple years. Sprint and Verizon have already raised objections that the Justice Dept is going to have to take a look at. Then once it is approved, it will likely take another year or so to merge the two networks.

So lets just say it will be 3 years before the merger is complete and technology merged. Based on Moore's theory, we will be two generations beyond the G2x. Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Not many people I know keep cell phones for three or more years. Especially techie type people..

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
"(assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)" is the key phrase here. By the time the proposed sale happens, and the networks are merged, very few people will still be using the G2x. A merger (buyout, whatever you wish to call the acquisition of T-Mobile) of this size will be caught up in the red tape and courts for a couple years. Sprint and Verizon have already raised objections that the Justice Dept is going to have to take a look at. Then once it is approved, it will likely take another year or so to merge the two networks.

So lets just say it will be 3 years before the merger is complete and technology merged. Based on Moore's theory, we will be two generations beyond the G2x. Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Not many people I know keep cell phones for three or more years. Especially techie type people..

Oh yeah, for sure. But let's say the G2X isn't EOL'd until the holidays or later. That would leave some of those buyers still with a G2X by the time the network transitions are complete. So, there shouldn't be any doubt that ATTmobile will have an upgrade path for those people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463