Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hey look: engadget is reporting about the g2x quad band 3G issue

we're hearing (and have found in testing) that the G2x may not actually be a quad-band HSPA+ handset, and we're having trouble getting an unlocked version to connect to AT&T's 3G network.
    Fact enough?
    => FALSE advertising by T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by coolVariable View Post
    Fact enough?
    Damn...that sucks. Did they actually advertise that capability though. I don't remember seeing it.

In any case, If I was on T-Mobile, I couldn't get this phone knowing that if the merger goes through it'll pretty much be a brick as far as cellular data is concerned.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Fact enough?
    No. they are still testing and waiting on official word from LG or T-Mobile.

You handily left that part out of your excerpt.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    No. they are still testing and waiting on official word from LG or T-Mobile.

You handily left that part out of your excerpt.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    I already have official word from T-Mobile. The G2X is not designed or guaranteed to work on any other network, as stated on the product page.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Red face

I know I'm having reception issues with mine.
    Will only go 2G or 4G, never seen a 3G icon.
    Also its always on UMTS even when the 4G icon is displayed.
    I've had it since the 20th and nothings changed, even when
    I did a new sim card like tech support suggested.
    Guess its going back soon, maybe try an exchange and see if that
    fixes it. If not bring that one back too for a refund and wait for the
    Sensation.

Oh, and,

in before the lock//

heheh

Hebrews 13:8

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    I already have official word from T-Mobile. The G2X is not designed or guaranteed to work on any other network, as stated on the product page.
    LOL!

Wink G2X = No 3G AT&T Bands

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/04/t-mob...pa-disappoints

The T-Mobile G2x fact sheet, attached http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...heet_FINAL.pdf , contains accurate information. The T-Mobile website is incorrect and we’re working to correct it. The G2x supports 850/900/1800/1900 MHz for 2G/GPRS only, and supports 3G/4G UMTS/HSPA+ bands I and IV. The G2x does not support AT&T’s 3G bands. This banding is hardware based.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Fact enough?
    And? Even if they were (which they weren't, because they never claimed it would work on AT&T's 3G network) you're still within the 14 day return period. If you don't like it, return it. Otherwise, quit complaining.

seriously...unless you have some piece of advertising that specifically says "able to work on AT&T 3g bands" just let it be. there's plenty of worse stuff that these companies get away with, see todays supreme court ruling for an example.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yep I saw that too. Still scratching my head at the FCC filing, though. Pretty sure that says that the hardware supports ATT 3G bands. Oh well. Won't matter for a long while, anyway.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yep I saw that too. Still scratching my head at the FCC filing, though. Pretty sure that says that the hardware supports ATT 3G bands. Oh well. Won't matter for a long while, anyway.
    It probably does, but its probably locked down by way of software. (sort of like how RIM uses a pentaband radio but locks it in different configurations for different carriers)
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Oh well. Won't matter for a long while, anyway.
    I guess it won't matter ... unless you are a t-mobile customer who would get free roaming on att's 3g network. last i checked att's coverage was significantly wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    And? Even if they were (which they weren't, because they never claimed it would work on AT&T's 3G network) ...
    Nope. Was false advertising: They claimed on their website that it supported UMTS: 850/1900.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nope. Was false advertising: They claimed on their website that it supported UMTS: 850/1900.
    You don't understand what constitutes false advertising. T-mobile never said it would work on AT&T's network. They never claimed ANYTHING having to do with those frequencies. You assumed that because the phone supports them (which it does) that it would work on AT&T. It was YOUR mistake. (Verizon also offers phones that work on GSM, and no one would actually think they could use it on AT&T or T-mobile)

As I said earlier; you were within the 14 days when T-mobile gave their statement. If you didn't return it, you have no right whatsoever to claim false advertising.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I guess it won't matter ... unless you are a t-mobile customer who would get free roaming on att's 3g network. last i checked att's coverage was significantly wider.

If AT&T coverage is that much better for someone then why wouldn't they just switch to AT&T? If you need to rely on roaming for good signal and coverage then maybe that particular carrier isn't for you.

I'm not saying I go to any remote areas where only one carrier has coverage, but I've yet to go somewhere where I have no T-Mobile signal at all. Yeah I drop down to Edge, but that's not a big deal.

What I think they did with this phone is make it so that they can issue a software update to make those frequencies usable if/when the buyout happens.

And no it's not false advertising. They never said it will work on those frequencies, only that the phone supports them, which it does. I would say it's shady advertising at best.

ROM
    Stock

Did they ever say that the phone supports those frequencies or did people just assume? After all the LG Optimus 2X is a quad band phone and the G2X is essentially the same device with stock Android in place of the LG UI. But did T-mo have LG make a special version of the phone without the unnecessary radios or did T-Mo just lock out the radios that it didn't need? The latter seems more likely, IMO. It sounds like someone at T-Mo just did a cut and paste on the Optimus' spec sheet in the first round of G2X marketing.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Pretty sure it passed the FCC with support for those frequencies. T-Mobile probably just locked out those frequencies.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

At the end of day, anyone that is not happy with the phone should just return it. I still think that it is currently the best Android device available right now.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Panick View Post
    Did they ever say that the phone supports those frequencies or did people just assume? After all the LG Optimus 2X is a quad band phone and the G2X is essentially the same device with stock Android in place of the LG UI. But did T-mo have LG make a special version of the phone without the unnecessary radios or did T-Mo just lock out the radios that it didn't need? The latter seems more likely, IMO. It sounds like someone at T-Mo just did a cut and paste on the Optimus' spec sheet in the first round of G2X marketing.
    I was actually looking to switch to this phone because how awesome it is. If you look at the back of the box though, it shows that it supports all 4 different bands. Sadly though...it does not. So unless they did just lock them and a simple software update can unlock them, this device will not receive a cellular signal after the merger. :-(

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    I was actually looking to switch to this phone because how awesome it is. If you look at the back of the box though, it shows that it supports all 4 different bands. Sadly though...it does not. So unless they did just lock them and a simple software update can unlock them, this device will not receive a cellular signal after the merger. :-(

I have faith that they will get unlocked if/when the buyout happens.

That's still years away, though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I have faith that they will get unlocked if/when the buyout happens.

That's still years away, though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
    If that's the case, then as soon as I can convince Sprint that I need to be let out of contract because of all this mess....the G2X will be sitting in my pocket. Unless something brilliant drops on TMO before that. :-)

If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The only other known entity (phone) dropping on T-Mo is the Sensation. I'm sticking with the G2X.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ether813 View Post
    At the end of day, anyone that is not happy with the phone should just return it. I still think that it is currently the best Android device available right now.
    I agree with that.
    Its the fastest phone I've ever had.
    But at the end of the day, it wouldnt do what I needed it to do.
    And the MyTouch 4G does do what I need it to do.

So no matter how sweet the G2X was, I Just couldnt see paying $500
    for a phone that had the poorest data reception of any TMO phone I've had yet.
    (at my workplace location)

So I sadly returned it.

I will be there when the Sensation hits I guess......

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Wow....reading this post is really worrying me I might have chosen the wrong phone! I just left ATT literally two days ago and picked up this device. Now I am reading it might not even work if ATT buys out tmo. I can only hope that there would be some type of incentive to us G2X owners if the device does not work on their frequencies no? Either that or we could get out of out contracts. Boy I hope this is all wrong because I love this device......It has been good the last two days to this android noob just learning the ropes..,,,
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    Wow....reading this post is really worrying me I might have chosen the wrong phone! I just left ATT literally two days ago and picked up this device. Now I am reading it might not even work if ATT buys out tmo. I can only hope that there would be some type of incentive to us G2X owners if the device does not work on their frequencies no? Either that or we could get out of out contracts. Boy I hope this is all wrong because I love this device......It has been good the last two days to this android noob just learning the ropes..,,,
    Read some of the later posts. The G2X HAS the hardware capability. It is just locked (for now) to t-mobile's frequencies. If the buyout goes through, ATTmobile would issue a software update to unlock those other frequencies. (assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)

Don't worry. It's going to be more than a year before anything changes.

Cool Moore's theory

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Read some of the later posts. The G2X HAS the hardware capability. It is just locked (for now) to t-mobile's frequencies. If the buyout goes through, ATTmobile would issue a software update to unlock those other frequencies. (assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)

Don't worry. It's going to be more than a year before anything changes.
    "(assuming that any of the network changes happen before any current G2X owner is up for an upgrade)" is the key phrase here. By the time the proposed sale happens, and the networks are merged, very few people will still be using the G2x. A merger (buyout, whatever you wish to call the acquisition of T-Mobile) of this size will be caught up in the red tape and courts for a couple years. Sprint and Verizon have already raised objections that the Justice Dept is going to have to take a look at. Then once it is approved, it will likely take another year or so to merge the two networks.

So lets just say it will be 3 years before the merger is complete and technology merged. Based on Moore's theory, we will be two generations beyond the G2x. Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Not many people I know keep cell phones for three or more years. Especially techie type people..
    Giffer ~ Note2, Note10.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast