First Impressions and User Reviews

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For those of you that already have the phone please post your first impressions and/or reviews.

This is not a place to report problems. We have other threads for that. :)

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I just bought mine yesterday and will give you a 1 day review. The phone is blazing fast and the video/camera/1080p is off the hook. Gaming is console grade. The internet runs fast along with the browser. The battery life seems good but I need to charge it a few times then recheck. Unfortunetly I live in a dead spot for any phone so my ability to play with the phone 4G is limited only to when I am out and about. I will post more soon but for now the phone rocks and is well worth it. Gingerbread is coming any day I heard. I dont see any reason to root this phone to speed it up, no reason at all.

dagaetch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Been using mine for a week as of today. I love nearly everything about it - the screen is great, speed is insanely fast and graphical ability is very impressive. 4G speeds aren't all that impressive, but that could easily be due to location, there aren't a lot of towers nearby and a lot of tall buildings around. Besides, the wifi is great and with wifi calling it's only about an hour a day that I'm on a cellular radio anyway. There looks to be a pretty decent user community forming around the phone, and we should see ROMs coming out pretty soon which will be nice. I haven't experienced any of the backlight problems some complain of.

Only issue is battery life - when it's just sitting idly, things are fine, but I feel like even light usage drains the battery pretty heavily. Still not insane, I only need to charge once per day, but meh. anyway ROM's might help with that too.

A really really nice phone, I'm very happy with it and highly recommend!!

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
The phone design is nice. 4.0" may be my new sweet spot. The external speakers are amazing. When you use the DTS boost, it's super loud. The G2X appeared snappy, and then I loaded all of my 150+ apps, and it was only marginally faster than my MyTouch 4G (MT4G). The pure Google experience is nice, but even still, I kind of like Sense. I had to do too much customization to get it to act like certain aspects of the Sense UI, but it's possible. The camera is passable, but not top notch as the specs lead you to believe. I took some high res pics and compared them to my MT4G, and they weren't that much better, if at all.

Mine was quite buggy. You can read about many of them on the boards here as people are quite vocal about them. Some are inexcusable like not being able to delete the default sig. Of all the problems that exist in early releases, this is just one of those that has no business being an issue in all honesty. I also had some issues with having to manually perform pairing over and over. It would delete my devices. Wi-Fi would disconnect as well.

I really wanted to like this phone and make sure it was my primary device for the next quarter at least, but this turned out to be the device I returned faster than my iPhone when I had it (3 weeks for that). Back on the MT4G, and I'm not realizing a lot of advantages the G2X had over the MT4G.

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had it for exactly a week and I am super happy with it. I'm coming from the MT3G so the performance blows me away. It is a real pleasure to use and I have absolutely no regrets.
Screen looks awesome, I think 4" is perfect as i wouldn't want the phone to be any bigger. It feels good in the hand and it's heavy enough to feel solid but light enough to be used one handed.

The issues I've seen are occasional freeze requiring to remove the battery (usually after charging overnight) and the battery draining a little fast while in use. I am not experiencing the battery drain issue while idle like some other people have reported though.

All in all, I am very happy I got this phone and that will be my main phone for a while.

Hope this helps

rifleman223

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This phone is absolutely AWESOME!!! Couple the screen and processor, by far one of the best phones out there. Did I mention that this thing is FAST? :)

soleilelf

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my G2x for 2 days and it's easily the best phone I've ever had!

The size is awesome and the weight is very comfortable. The phone is super fast, even with all my apps on it. The camera pics have great quality and the flash is brighter than even my digital slr camera; this should be taken into consideration while using.

The battery lasts all day even after: playing NFS Shift, using Pandora for an hour, heavy app and internet usage, plus all of my notifications, sms, emails, and i.m.'ing, while having the screen on full brightness and leaving several apps running in the background while using a live theme. The dual core processor is amazing! I don't live in a 4G area.

Right now I'm watching live streaming of President Obama's announcement and there's no lag or buffering AT ALL. The sound quality is great and the placement of two speakers on the bottom are a cool feature.

I can't say enough good things about this phone- BUY IT and you won't be sorry!!! :D

Guntert

May 4, 2011
Visit site
ok, I have had this phone for only a day! I was with Sprint using EVO and played with my wifes MT4G and they were almost the same. I decied that the G2X might be better! So far I am really missing my EVO!!! I dont like that I cant see a light saying its charging or a light that says I missed a call or something!!! Then phone like reboots itself a few times and I have to turn it off and back on to get my texts and email! So far I am not all that happy! I also miss the weater, time and date wiget that the MT4G has and.

Panick

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine. It was an upgrade from an original (jailbroken to work on T-Mobile) iPhone so it's actually a pretty dramatic upgrade for me. I have wanted an Android phone for a few years but after all my research I never quite found the phone that fit (the Nexus phones both came really close though). The G2X has a bigger screen and is just the slightest bit thinner than my old phone. From the specs you wouldn't think the slight shave in thickness would matter but it's immediately detectable by my hand as soon as I pick up the device. It's every bit as fast and responsive as I had hoped it would be. Mine doesn't have some of the bad light bleeding issues others have noticed, just a slight bit in the up left corner that's only noticeable when the screen and room are dark. I am really liking Android. I do miss some of the little flourishes that were in the iOS but since most of those existed to hide how slow that phone actually was, I can live without them.

On the con side of things, I hate the back cover. It's flimsy as hell and every time I go to take it off I fear I'm going to break it. One would think that on a high end smart phone they could come up with a more elegant way of battery access than literally ripping off a flimsy cover that feels like it'll snap in half if you look at it wrong. Battery life isn't the greatest but I would say it's manageable (and unlike my iPhone I can have an extra battery if I need one for some reason). I have had one slight glitch with the phone thus far: it seemed to hiccup and the screen went black and the lower buttons all lit up and then the phone rebooted itself right in the middle of listening to a song on Amazon's cloud player. In the several hours of hard use I put on it since I have had no issues.

Network-wise I can't say much. Sound quality on calls is good but as far as data goes, I live in the boonies right now and there is no 3G or 4G access closer than a 90 minute drive. The phone works just fine (albeit slowly) on the 2G network out here. In a few months I'll be moving to a big metro area with 4G service and then my "unlimited" data plan might actually be worth something.

Overall I am happy with the phone. I can't say it was definitely worth the money ($500 off contract and easily the most expensive phone I've ever purchased), but time will tell I suppose. I am liking it as much as I did the iPhone when I first got it and that says a lot of good things about the G2X as I really liked the iPhone. Before the iPhone I went through 4 phones in less than two years (three "feature" phones and a Windows Mobile device). The iPhone has lasted me almost four years now. Hopefully the G2X will do just as well.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just bought mine last night and have to say I love it so far. I do have a bit of the same light leak problem people are talking about but its only noticable because I looked for it. I'm not really a tmobile fan but love what this phone does for android in the games and looks department. The phone is fast and looks amazing and does well on the things I need it to do.

PrettyPryncess

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since last Thursday, and i most say that I am in love. i was a bit nervous coming from coming the Blackberry world of so many years, but I can honestly say that I have no regrets and happy that I made the switch. i noticed in many reviews that I have read that alot of ppl complain about the battery life, but I'm a heavy data and texter user and I get 10hrs off my battery. This is a very great phone i have not had to do any battery pull, which is so not normal for me, and a very speedy browser.....Loving my Kholie LG Android (yes i name my phones lol)

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just picked mine up yesterday, coming from the Droid 1. I'm used to rooting and running custom ROMs, so the first thing I did was to root. I'm leaving it stock for the moment, since Gingerbread doesn't seem to be much better for the G2X than for the Droid 1 at the moment.

I've had 1 reboot so far, and I've noticed the battery life might be problematic, but I've got plenty of chargers (especially now!) if necessary.

Happy to be here, and hope to pick up a lot of good info and tips.

serenity9301

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the G2X yesterday & I have to say that I do love the phone. I upgraded from a MyTouch & can definitely see a difference in picture quality & speed. My only question/concern (maybe a stupid question here) is if there is an indicator light anywhere on the device to alert me if I've missed a call/text/email? Maybe I am just missing a setting somewhere? And the vibrate isn't quite strong enough to always attract my attention if I'm busy. But these are certainly minor concerns when the phone performance is so great. :))

Reactions: kathrynchurchill

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a 2004 blackberry pearl 8100, the phone is quite overwhelming and I am not used to being such a slow texter and dont understand the native functionality as of yet. I hope I pick it up in 2-3 weeks or I should go back to BB..........

Battery life is horrible and in my line of work I am routinely in large conferences and seminars with little access to chargers, maybe Ill just have to see if I can lug one around with me.

I work in virutalization/cloud computing and the android was highly recommended but I am an email/mass texter type that is missing his keyboard.........I am wondering if I can replace my BB addiction with the added functionality of the G2x in its ability to connect internet and find things readily as well as embrace social media.

I am really stressed out with the widgets too.....what the heck is the thing with the satellite dish?? when its enabled my speed test sucked..........when its off, the phone roars on download to about 4000 but then the upload is like 250-300???

Chiknhawk

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I have been a big fan of iDevices. Meaning iPhones, Ipads, iPods. But never the mac. I have always loved PC when it comes to desktop. Now I have purchased this G2X not too long ago and gotta admit I am happy in some ways and not happy in other ways. I am compnaring this with my iPod 4G iPad 1G. Now when it comes to browsing the web, I gotta say the iPod 4G running wifi is top notch when it comes to pinch or zoom. When I have tried this on my G2X, it seems ok but not as smooth like butter as in iPod. Second, the web page seems to load a bit faster iPod 4G, when I test both of them using wifi from same router. Although this is my first android, I am still learning about it.

giffer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had the G2x for just over a month now. Truly love the phone. The speed against my wifes old BB is amazing. I have been working on personalizing, and getting to know all that it can do. I really like the feel of the phone in my hand and the layout of the screens. Only issues that I have found is not being able to permanently edit my email signature and when in 2G service area voice sound is tinny and drops in and out. Hoping for Gingerbread upgrade soon. That should really make this phone rock.

I know I have seen people commenting on the camera. I think it is a great camera for a phone. If your looking for professional type pictures, buy a real camera.

wmurphy1975

Jun 22, 2011
mandatory-tech.com
I owned mine for just around a month and had to return it. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread for this but after 2-3 weeks I was just not happy. It seemed really great at first...nice screen, abundant internal storage, and it was blazing fast! But it kept locking up on me and the battery life was the worst I've ever had on a phone.

You can see my full review here but I ended up returning it and getting the Sensation instead.

DaAvTh

May 9, 2011
Visit site
For those of you that already have the phone please post your first impressions and/or reviews.

This is not a place to report problems. We have other threads for that. :)
Had this phone for a while now so I'm getting to this thread a little late. I like the phone overall besides all the freezes and errors everyone mentions it does what I need it to do. I'm not a big "hacker" you can say so I get by rooting and other such things through tutorials. I recently rooted and flashed a custom recovery image to my phone so now I plan on deleting some of the extra stock apps that take up quite a bit of space and use setCPU to try and balance my phone for everyday use to see if I get more performance out of it. Not sure of any tricks you all may have learned playing around with the phone but I'll post more as I see it.

Have to be proud of the phone you have, especially if you can't always go out and get another one :-$ so I try to make the best of every situation and look at the positives.

deathwiz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
2 days with dis phone so far. 1st thing dat hit me is "fast!". Dis puppy screams. Been devout BB abuser past 5 yrs. Needed new phone but da new BBs were a lil outta reach. Dis phone had close specs 2 da 9860, n much more affordable. Hadda import BB sounds, much more audible then what came on it. So....let's c what dis ting can do......Let da torture test begin. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463