Using Phone Only on Wifi

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've done a little searching around for this answer but couldn't find anything definitive. I am looking for a way to run the phone only on wifi while going to another country. I was able to do this easily on my Blackberry by unchecking the Mobile Network box under network connections and having wifi enabled. I was then able to make/receive calls, get email, browse, use apps, and text when using a wifi network (as if I was still in the US) and everything would be disabled when not in a wifi network.

Basically, I do not want the phone to roam and use up data when I'm not on wifi. What is the simplest way to achieve this on this phone? How can I confirm that I am running solely on wifi? I've only had this phone and been using Android for 6 days so not totally sure how it works.

I tried turning on airplane mode and then turning on wifi. It lets me browse and use apps but no calls and no texts.

Thanks in advance!

JWainscot

Apr 24, 2011
www.lgforum.com
If you are on wifi only you wont be able to make calls or texts. Those features run over the 3g/4g/cdma/ networks and such. I would suggest installing skype or another voip application.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That is really disappointing if it's true. I cannot believe my 2+ year old Blackberry was fully capable to make calls and texts exclusively on Wifi and this brand spanking new phone cannot.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This phone does have wifi calling, but I'm not sure if it works outside of the US.

Your old Blackberry might have UMA. That would explain it being able to make calls.

steveo1198

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the TMO blackberry 8320 and used UMA both at home and at work due to building construction causing a lot of dead zones. The G2X does utilize wifi calling and basically just functions as a tmo voip. There is no text service available while using only wifi. I must say that the audio quality while using wifi is not very good. However, that could be based on a number of different things such as network noise and interference.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used to have the TMO blackberry 8320 and used UMA both at home and at work due to building construction causing a lot of dead zones. The G2X does utilize wifi calling and basically just functions as a tmo voip. There is no text service available while using only wifi. I must say that the audio quality while using wifi is not very good. However, that could be based on a number of different things such as network noise and interference.

I can text while on wifi with wifi calling enabled.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Call quality on wifi calling is extremely dependent on signal strength and internet speed. I have paid attention while it's enabled and I can't find any indication that it's connecting to the cellular network to send the texts so it has to be going over wifi.

JWainscot

Apr 24, 2011
www.lgforum.com
That is really disappointing if it's true. I cannot believe my 2+ year old Blackberry was fully capable to make calls and texts exclusively on Wifi and this brand spanking new phone cannot.

well, I think the best advice I could give you is to go to the supplier or manufacturer's site or join in their forums or write to their support. Like in your case, going to lg mobile support would be good. That's what I usually do when I'm at a loss on what to do with my purchased item/s. It does help a lot.

Hope you get back to me with your success story after this.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
To follow up on my original post, I was able to use my G2x while solely running on wifi (with mixed results) while I was in Canada for a few days this month. I was not charged for any roaming either after reviewing my bill.

I have to say though, it was nowhere near as reliable as my old Blackberry 8900 (which my wife still uses). She would have a good wifi signal in certain rooms while I did not have any or I would have a weak wifi signal but not strong enough to make wifi calls while she would. I was only able to send/receive texts when my wifi signal was strong enough to enable wifi calling.

Here's what I did to run only on Wifi:

-Have wifi on and connect to a wifi network(obviously)
-Set wifi sleep policy to Never
-Under the Wifi Calling app, hit Menu, then Settings, then Connection Preferences and select wifi only

JWainscot

Apr 24, 2011
www.lgforum.com
To follow up on my original post, I was able to use my G2x while solely running on wifi (with mixed results) while I was in Canada for a few days this month. I was not charged for any roaming either after reviewing my bill.

I have to say though, it was nowhere near as reliable as my old Blackberry 8900 (which my wife still uses). She would have a good wifi signal in certain rooms while I did not have any or I would have a weak wifi signal but not strong enough to make wifi calls while she would. I was only able to send/receive texts when my wifi signal was strong enough to enable wifi calling.

-Under the Wifi Calling app, hit Menu, then Settings, then Connection Preferences and select wifi only

I'm glad you found a way.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Also do "settings>wireless networks>mobile networks> and make sure to un check "data enabled to fully disconnect from your wireless carrier's network.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, not natively, but if you download the free app TextPlus from the Market, you can send texts and pictures via wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

You sure?.....I could text natively strictly on wifi. Do you mean texting strictly with wifi in a way as to not have your texts routed through a wireless carrier?

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You sure?.....I could text natively strictly on wifi. Do you mean texting strictly with wifi in a way as to not have your texts routed through a wireless carrier?

I'm going to be out of the country for a few weeks next month, and was interested in T-Mobile's WiFi Calling. So I guess yes, I am looking to text strictly with WiFi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon