Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Default Using Phone Only on Wifi

Hi everyone, I've done a little searching around for this answer but couldn't find anything definitive. I am looking for a way to run the phone only on wifi while going to another country. I was able to do this easily on my Blackberry by unchecking the Mobile Network box under network connections and having wifi enabled. I was then able to make/receive calls, get email, browse, use apps, and text when using a wifi network (as if I was still in the US) and everything would be disabled when not in a wifi network.

Basically, I do not want the phone to roam and use up data when I'm not on wifi. What is the simplest way to achieve this on this phone? How can I confirm that I am running solely on wifi? I've only had this phone and been using Android for 6 days so not totally sure how it works.

I tried turning on airplane mode and then turning on wifi. It lets me browse and use apps but no calls and no texts.

Thanks in advance!

If you are on wifi only you wont be able to make calls or texts. Those features run over the 3g/4g/cdma/ networks and such. I would suggest installing skype or another voip application.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

That is really disappointing if it's true. I cannot believe my 2+ year old Blackberry was fully capable to make calls and texts exclusively on Wifi and this brand spanking new phone cannot.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This phone does have wifi calling, but I'm not sure if it works outside of the US.

Your old Blackberry might have UMA. That would explain it being able to make calls.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Yea the 8900 definitely had UMA. when I saw this phone advertised wifi calling, I assumed it was the same thing.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I used to have the TMO blackberry 8320 and used UMA both at home and at work due to building construction causing a lot of dead zones. The G2X does utilize wifi calling and basically just functions as a tmo voip. There is no text service available while using only wifi. I must say that the audio quality while using wifi is not very good. However, that could be based on a number of different things such as network noise and interference.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDroid412 View Post
    I used to have the TMO blackberry 8320 and used UMA both at home and at work due to building construction causing a lot of dead zones. The G2X does utilize wifi calling and basically just functions as a tmo voip. There is no text service available while using only wifi. I must say that the audio quality while using wifi is not very good. However, that could be based on a number of different things such as network noise and interference.
    I can text while on wifi with wifi calling enabled.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Wifi calling will work internationally.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    I can text while on wifi with wifi calling enabled.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
    Interesting...I will have to check this out. thanks
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Call quality on wifi calling is extremely dependent on signal strength and internet speed. I have paid attention while it's enabled and I can't find any indication that it's connecting to the cellular network to send the texts so it has to be going over wifi.

Default Re: Using Phone Only on Wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
    That is really disappointing if it's true. I cannot believe my 2+ year old Blackberry was fully capable to make calls and texts exclusively on Wifi and this brand spanking new phone cannot.
    well, I think the best advice I could give you is to go to the supplier or manufacturer's site or join in their forums or write to their support. Like in your case, going to lg mobile support would be good. That's what I usually do when I'm at a loss on what to do with my purchased item/s. It does help a lot.

Hope you get back to me with your success story after this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

To follow up on my original post, I was able to use my G2x while solely running on wifi (with mixed results) while I was in Canada for a few days this month. I was not charged for any roaming either after reviewing my bill.

I have to say though, it was nowhere near as reliable as my old Blackberry 8900 (which my wife still uses). She would have a good wifi signal in certain rooms while I did not have any or I would have a weak wifi signal but not strong enough to make wifi calls while she would. I was only able to send/receive texts when my wifi signal was strong enough to enable wifi calling.

Here's what I did to run only on Wifi:

-Have wifi on and connect to a wifi network(obviously)
    -Set wifi sleep policy to Never
    -Under the Wifi Calling app, hit Menu, then Settings, then Connection Preferences and select wifi only

To follow up on my original post, I was able to use my G2x while solely running on wifi (with mixed results) while I was in Canada for a few days this month. I was not charged for any roaming either after reviewing my bill.

I have to say though, it was nowhere near as reliable as my old Blackberry 8900 (which my wife still uses). She would have a good wifi signal in certain rooms while I did not have any or I would have a weak wifi signal but not strong enough to make wifi calls while she would. I was only able to send/receive texts when my wifi signal was strong enough to enable wifi calling.

-Under the Wifi Calling app, hit Menu, then Settings, then Connection Preferences and select wifi only

I'm glad you found a way.
    LG Quantum
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lmc05 View Post
    Wifi calling will work internationally.
    Really? I'm just asking because I'm interested in the G2x, and will be out of the country for about four weeks this summer.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

Also, can you text through WiFi?

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDroid412 View Post
    Interesting...I will have to check this out. thanks
    Yup sure does. You have to make sure you disable texting through your carrier to prevent paying a texting fees for receiving them overseas.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    Also, can you text through WiFi?
    Yes, not natively, but if you download the free app TextPlus from the Market, you can send texts and pictures via wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Also do "settings>wireless networks>mobile networks> and make sure to un check "data enabled to fully disconnect from your wireless carrier's network.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Quote Originally Posted by rdearth53 View Post
    Yes, not natively, but if you download the free app TextPlus from the Market, you can send texts and pictures via wifi.

You sure?.....I could text natively strictly on wifi. Do you mean texting strictly with wifi in a way as to not have your texts routed through a wireless carrier?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    You sure?.....I could text natively strictly on wifi. Do you mean texting strictly with wifi in a way as to not have your texts routed through a wireless carrier?
    I'm going to be out of the country for a few weeks next month, and was interested in T-Mobile's WiFi Calling. So I guess yes, I am looking to text strictly with WiFi.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rdearth53 View Post

Am I correct in assuming that Google Talk will do the same thing?

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Am I correct in assuming that Google Talk will do the same thing?
    Yes. It will only run of data via wifi.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

I'm going to be out of the country for a few weeks next month, and was interested in T-Mobile's WiFi Calling. So I guess yes, I am looking to text strictly with WiFi.
    There is no way to do "texting" via wifi and not get charged a fee if done overseas. "Texts" are wired to go through a wireless carriers network to reach their intended person. "Messaging" like gtalk, aim, yahoo messenger, liveprofile.etc is strictly data. They will not incur a text charge if done on wifi.

PS. Be careful with WIFI calling. It is not a true VOIP. You WILL incur roaming charges if you use it overseas because will it is true you are using the feature, at some point your call has to connect to a wireless carrier in that country to make your phone call go through. I know this for a fact because I got nailed by TMO with overages when I made long distance international calls. I explained to them that it was a free feature on my G2x as explained by a sales rep at a store.....ahh but here is where they get you. It is free to use but the calls are still routed through them, using your minutes and their service. So I got hammered with long distance charges. Talk about misleading consumers. They sell you on "oh you can make any calls you want for free, even overseas." So be careful using wifi calling overseas as you will end up paying a pretty penny if you do.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

There is no way to do "texting" via wifi and not get charged a fee if done overseas. "Texts" are wired to go through a wireless carriers network to reach their intended person. "Messaging" like gtalk, aim, yahoo messenger, liveprofile.etc is strictly data. They will not incur a text charge if done on wifi.

PS. Be careful with WIFI calling. It is not a true VOIP. You WILL incur roaming charges if you use it overseas because will it is true you are using the feature, at some point your call has to connect to a wireless carrier in that country to make your phone call go through. I know this for a fact because I got nailed by TMO with overages when I made long distance international calls. I explained to them that it was a free feature on my G2x as explained by a sales rep at a store.....ahh but here is where they get you. It is free to use but the calls are still routed through them, using your minutes and their service. So I got hammered with long distance charges. Talk about misleading consumers. They sell you on "oh you can make any calls you want for free, even overseas." So be careful using wifi calling overseas as you will end up paying a pretty penny if you do.
    Whoa, thanks! I was told by a couple of T-Mobile reps that I can use a G2x in Germany and England to make WiFi calls to and from the US for FREE . . . thanks for explaining this to me! I was about to go out and get a G2x for that very reason.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,208 Global Posts

Yes. It will only run of data via wifi.
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast