Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just picked up this device...

what is the latest android version it should be running? also, under settings>status...it lists my phone number as "unknown"....any ideas?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

sorry - meant to be in the GX2 thread...

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

G2X....
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    what is the latest android version it should be running? also, under settings>status...it lists my phone number as "unknown"....any ideas?
    It should be running 2.2.2. We should be getting 2.3.3 soon (but we don't know when) and hopefully 2.3.4 shortly after that (or instead of that?)

As for your phone number, maybe the phone didn't pick that up yet? I'd wait a little bit and check again

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

try to reboot your phone and see if it shows...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

thanks, all. and if I am rooted, i will still get the updates as they come in?

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    thanks, all. and if I am rooted, i will still get the updates as they come in?
    If I root, will I still receive operating system updates from my carrier?
    Maybe. More than likely if you’ve just rooted your phone so you could have access to the full file system and haven’t drastically changed things, the phone will still pass your carrier's checks and upgrade. If you’ve delved deeper and really customized your device, count on not being able to upgrade. Carrier updates were designed to work with the original software, so they need to be sure that’s what the phone is running. Again, this is for your own good. T-Mobile or Verizon can’t offer technical support for things they haven’t trained their technicians on, and if you flash a carrier approved update over custom software it’s probably not going to work.

The good news is that failing the checks the carrier does during an update won’t cause any damage to your phone. The update will just quit and you’ll be back where you started. Then you can decide if you would like to un-root and upgrade or take another path. The worst case scenario is that the phone passes the carriers checks, updates, and then things get broken. That’s pretty unlikely, but possible. If that would happen, you won’t be alone. Everyone in your situation will scramble to their favorite Android user forum and hopefully a work around can be found.

Note - a carrier update may also break the ability to root the device and a new method will need to be found. Any discussion of upgrading and root needs this mentioned as well. Most folks who root and decide to install a custom ROM wait for the ROM developer to provide an update that includes any bug fixes or new capabilities of the carrier update.

[Source: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A]
    Thanked by:
    ROne21 

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

that's some good infos

Mine did the same thing with the "unknown" number. if you call TMO and tell them they'll send some kind of something to your phone to update it.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Re: Just picked up this device...

Quote Originally Posted by olliegrl View Post
    Mine did the same thing with the "unknown" number. if you call TMO and tell them they'll send some kind of something to your phone to update it.
    Thanks for the info