Just Purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 2... T-Mobile

michaeldalton

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Need to buy a SIM card for my phone (SGH-T889) Galaxy Note 2 to use on Straight Talk.
My option is AT&T or T-Mobile... does it matter which one since the phone is going to be on Straight Talk?

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes it depends which network you want to be on, T-Mobile is better at my home and work but your mileage may vary.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Need to buy a SIM card for my phone (SGH-T889) Galaxy Note 2 to use on Straight Talk.
My option is AT&T or T-Mobile... does it matter which one since the phone is going to be on Straight Talk?

The data frequencies are different for T-Mo. If you bought a T-Mo Note 2, you want to be sure that you have a T-Mo sim from StraightTalk. There's also Simple Mobile or the T-Mo no contract plans. All three have full speed up to 2 gig, throttled after that. But T-Mo has a 5gig plan for $10 higher that is supposed to change to unlimited, no limit at full speed.

michaeldalton

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I drive truck for a living and thought that Straight Talk piggy backed on everybody's network (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile).
But... does this mean if you have a T-Mobile phone and use it with Straight Talk, it only uses the T-Mobile Network or does it use this phone on everybody's network?
I am going to unlock my phone, I and thought I could use an AT&T micro SIM so I didn't have to get a standard SIM and cut it down.

Any thoughts
Thanks
Mike

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I drive truck for a living and thought that Straight Talk piggy backed on everybody's network (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile).
But... does this mean if you have a T-Mobile phone and use it with Straight Talk, it only uses the T-Mobile Network or does it use this phone on everybody's network?
I am going to unlock my phone, I and thought I could use an AT&T micro SIM so I didn't have to get a standard SIM and cut it down.

Any thoughts
Thanks
Mike

Straight talk can only run on AT&T OR T-Mobile gsm networks and you have to pick one or the other when you set it up. It will not run on Verizon or sprint as they are cdma carriers.

Now with that said your T-Mobile Note 2 uses theses bands according to Samsung's website:

Frequencies and Data Type: GSM Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz UMTS: Band I ,band II, Band IV (Dual-band1700/2100 MHz), Band V
Data Speed: HSPA+ Category 24, 42 Mbps

And the AT&T Note 2 uses these bands:

Frequencies and Data Type: GSM Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Data Speed: UMTS 850/1900/2100

So based on that it should run on AT&T's network via straight talk just fine but you may get higher data speeds using T-Mobile. If data speed isn't a major concern and AT&T has better coverage, that's the way I'd go. However I would check to see who has the better coverage for where you will be needing and using your phone the most. I have a couple friends that drive truck and have a few places where they don't get service but their phones work well at home. Nice thing about straight talk is you can try AT&T one month and T-Mobile the next to and see how they work for you. Goodluck.

michaeldalton

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
With Straight Talk you have to order your SIM card for one or the other (AT&T or T-Mobile). My issue is the GN2 uses micro SIM cards, Straight Talk's T-Mobile SIM is a standard SIM, while AT&T uses micro SIM. Do I need to unlock my GN2 from T-Mobile to use the AT&T micro SIM card?

Thanks
Mike

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I thought they offered both sim sizes for both networks? If not just get a sim cutter.
Yes you'll have to unlock the phone, it's not hard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

michaeldalton

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought they offered both sim sizes for both networks? If not just get a sim cutter.
Yes you'll have to unlock the phone, it's not hard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

:D:D:D...
Thanks for the quick reply...
My friends who also drive trucks said the AT&T network is really good and none had anything good or bad to say about T-Mobile.
I,m thinking of ordering the AT&T Micro SIM and will probably need some help unlocking my GN2 phone.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
:D:D:D...
Thanks for the quick reply...
My friends who also drive trucks said the AT&T network is really good and none had anything good or bad to say about T-Mobile.
I,m thinking of ordering the AT&T Micro SIM and will probably need some help unlocking my GN2 phone.

As a whole across the country you'll have better coverage on AT&T, maybe not better performance but coverage. I think in your case being a truck driver I think AT&T would be the better choice. Oh and thanks for delivering our phones and other goods!!