GPS -- Is there a good one?

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Just bought a brand new Note 2, and now, wouldn't you know it, my Magellan GPS gave out. Sheesh.

I keep researching, and am hoping that maybe I can find one for the Note 2 that can:

1 - Allow multi-destination routing, for up to 15 stops, etc. It would really be nice if it also auto-routed ... i.e., so that if I plug in a whole bunch of addresses it would reorder them and then figure out the best route

2 - Wouldn't interrupt GPS navigation for incoming phone calls. It would be great if it just announced incoming call and then let me answer it through bluetooth or voice or something, but not interrupt the directions until the call is complete. Nothing like missing a bunch of turns just because you answer the phone ...

Does any such thing exist?

Thanks!

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Lynn. I looked at the descriptions for NavFree, but it doesn't seem to do multi-destination routing. Darn it!

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Idk I just use google maps nav. If there is a good free app that dose what u need that would be great if u find one post so we all kbow. Im super intersted

Sent from my SGH-T889

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Prepaidguy -- I gave up and bought a separate Garmin GPS. Couldn't find what I wanted for the Android after wading through almost a hundred descriptions on Google Play and on the Amazon AppStore. My requests seem like a no-brainer, but I sure can't find anything.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well goves me a great idea for an app once I learn more java and since the google maps api updates are released.

Dont expect anything from me any time soon tho

Sent from my SGH-T889

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Serious...you have a state of the art smart phone and your using gps to??

We travel all over the country Note II and google maps and google now are a perfect match. Call comes in can talk and just touch back to google maps while on call.

If we need a 2nd or 3rd address or business google now puts it right to maps before we could even text it in.

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Serious...you have a state of the art smart phone and your using gps to??

We travel all over the country Note II and google maps and google now are a perfect match. Call comes in can talk and just touch back to google maps while on call.

If we need a 2nd or 3rd address or business google now puts it right to maps before we could even text it in.

Yes, seriously. See, the problem isn't that Google or other GPS apps for the phone aren't good. They're just incredibly limited in what they do. You may think that getting a call while in the middle of a route isn't a big deal. But it is. Imagine trying to wend your way through the middle of a City you don't know. You're following the step-by-step instructions to turn on this block, then at that light, then at the end of the next block, then veer right onto the bridge. But a call comes in before the "end of the next block." You miss your turn whether or not you answer the call or not because the phone resources have been directed to the call rather than to your route. That's a problem. Because now you have to find a place to pull over before you miss the bridge ... and so do the car or two that are following you in tandem form. In the middle of the city in rush hour.

From what I've been able to see so far, the phones are great for all of the various apps they run. But they really only run one at a time. And despite the fact that Google maps is a powerful tool (I use it constantly too), it doesn't automatically plan a route consisting of half-dozen stops that could be spread all over the place. When I'm planning a route to show homes, I don't necessarily know at the front end what the most economical or logical route might be. I have to work through that somehow. Google maps is great on my laptop or tablet where I can drag the stops around until the route looks logical. But I can't do that in real time on my phone when I'm showing houses. I need to be able to drop an address into the mix and hope that my GPS will route it for me so that I'm not wasting gas and money going back and forth ...

Hope this makes sense.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yea. An app for multi address would be great.

Google mavigation will keep talking in background but idk about in call.

It also tells me to do a u turn to go back to the main us hwy when I use a state hwy back road to get from milton to pace. [I'm sure you dunno where that is] only once im 2/3s of the way there dose it say I'm going the right way.

At least they fixed the address ojln Hamilton bridge Rd [8 miles or so] from being stung backwards. [Horrable for a pizza guy]

Sent from my SGH-T889

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci