Now that we have 4.1.2...

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
How do you like 4.1.2 ? I like it, S Note opens way faster. The new widget for S Note is amazing. The new notification drop down bar settings, it's nice we can change them now, the toggle buttons that is. Everything seems good. The way the Samsung keyboard works better as well.

The only thing I'm worried about is battery drain that allot of people get with this update. Like the S3, the international Note 2 and other carriers that already got this update all reported battery drain much faster then before the update.

What do you think?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm running a Verizon Note 2 so I can't speak from experience, but I wouldn't really buy into the battery drain thing. Here's why:

People talk about battery life being better on one ROM and worse on another. Over the years, one thing I've learned is that any changes from kernel/ROM base etc that are not major ground breaking bugs, will have minimal impacts on battery life. So insignificant are these changes, that what people perceive to be battery life changes are nothing more than placebo. The only way to be sure there's a battery drain problem is to use logged data that shows objectively how battery life is worse than it was before. Even then, there are so many variables in play to define just how long your battery life will be from charge to charge that it's almost impossible to properly gauge battery life from one ROM to another.

That being said, I have yet to see any hard evidence showing severe battery drain issues. If there was one, you'd know. We're talking an hour or two less screen on time per charge, not "well I had to plug it in by this time, as opposed to by this time, so I am seeing worse battery!!!1one!1" Not likely.

But your post more importantly, for me anyway, shows something that I like to see posted. A user experiencing overall a better quality product. You had your phone, it was all good and enjoyable on 4.1.1, then they sent you a free OTA update that BETTERED your experience with that phone. For some odd reason, there are a TON of people, particularly on the Verizon board, who feel that they never want an update for their phone at all. They fear 4.1.2/4.2.2/etc as if it's some kind of virus coming to infect their perfectly operating device. The logic blows my mind. Serious bugs aside, which arguably don't occur often at all, there is only good that can come from a new update.

Glad to hear you're enjoying 4.1.2, and I wouldn't pay any mind to the whinges from people going on about battery life. If there was a serious problem, you'd know. And I don't believe that's the case with 4.1.2.

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just like other phones I've owned that have received 4.1.2, access to my employer's Cisco Wi-Fi is broken.

Everything else seems fine though.

fratermus

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Over the years, one thing I've learned is that any changes from kernel/ROM base etc that are not major ground breaking bugs, will have minimal impacts on battery life.

Seems tautalogical: any bug that caused major drain would be, by definition, a major bug.

Changes between CM 7.1 and 7.2 on the p500 platform caused drain to go from 1%/hr at rest to 5%/hr. The phone could not enter deep sleep due to a BT wakelock.
Confirmed on fresh install by BBB, backed up by logcat.

from tapatalk (Galaxy Note 2)

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Also with the Google map settings "Report from this device" the description says something like "automatically report you're location from this device"

Do I need that checked in order to use Google Now and Maps correctly?

I think now that I have those settings unchecked maps isn't using as much battery before. I noticed today that maps was using the most battery, more then System and display. I just want to know if I have that turned off will it effect the way Google Now and maps works or what it will effect.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Seems tautalogical: any bug that caused major drain would be, by definition, a major bug.

Changes between CM 7.1 and 7.2 on the p500 platform caused drain to go from 1%/hr at rest to 5%/hr. The phone could not enter deep sleep due to a BT wakelock.
Confirmed on fresh install by BBB, backed up by logcat.

You pretty much said it yourself. The only time noticeable battery drain that can be quantified and cited as evidence against a new update is when it's a major bug and indisputable. The petty claims people make and the arguments of "which ROM or kernel gives the best battery life" that we see across all generations of Android devices is exactly that, petty. If there was a serious difference in battery life, it would likely be at the hand of a major bug that will get fixed. Period. That just doesn't seem to be the case with this 4.1.2 update.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just like other phones I've owned that have received 4.1.2, access to my employer's Cisco Wi-Fi is broken.

Everything else seems fine though.

I "had" (past tense) the same issue on both of my devices. Forgetting the network and then choosing them (and providing the same credentials) solved it for me.