Google Services bad battery drain. Please Help.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this issue with Google Services eating up my battery. It started right after the Google I/O event.

It really is draining the life right out of my Note 2. Let's say I charge my Note 2 about 3 hours later Google Services is at the top of the battery meter in settings at 45% and the closest thing to it is Android OS at 18%.

I haven't heard anyone really say anything about this issue. At least here in the T-Mobile Note 2 section.

If anyone knows a way I can fix this please tell me or help me out. I'm running out of options here. I have seen this issue before and have seen it talked about on the S4 and Nexus phone section.

Should I waste the time on a factory reset? I've heard others say they have tried that and it doesn't work. Anyway please help me, please.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been having this issue with Google Services eating up my battery. It started right after the Google I/O event.

It really is draining the life right out of my Note 2. Let's say I charge my Note 2 about 3 hours later Google Services is at the top of the battery meter in settings at 45% and the closest thing to it is Android OS at 18%.

I haven't heard anyone really say anything about this issue. At least here in the T-Mobile Note 2 section.

If anyone knows a way I can fix this please tell me or help me out. I'm running out of options here. I have seen this issue before and have seen it talked about on the S4 and Nexus phone section.

Should I waste the time on a factory reset? I've heard others say they have tried that and it doesn't work. Anyway please help me, please.

After that 3 hours what percentage is your battery?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
My battery percentage is at about 95% if I restar my Note 2 before I charge it.

But if I don't restart my Note 2 before I charge it up it will drop down to about 90% in 3 hours of it just sitting there.

I'll do another test tonight when I charge my Note 2 and let you know. I'll charge it without restarting it and give you the % after 3 hours then again when I wake up in the morning.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My battery percentage is at about 95% if I restar my Note 2 before I charge it.

But if I don't restart my Note 2 before I charge it up it will drop down to about 90% in 3 hours of it just sitting there.

I'll do another test tonight when I charge my Note 2 and let you know. I'll charge it without restarting it and give you the % after 3 hours then again when I wake up in the morning.

But I don't understand the problem. If after 3 hours you have only dropped 5 or 10% you are on track to have well over a full days worth of battery. 45% of 5% of used battery is minuscule usage.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I should add that I did install GSam Battery stats and CPU spy.

I also took a few things off of sync. I had play music, ect off sync but now I removed people updates, Google+, contacts...

The only things I have checked to sync are Gmail, Calendar, Drive and maybe one other thing as before in a thread I was reading about someone with a S4 is having this same issue with Google Services. I was told removing contacts sync and Google+ really helped him. But then he did a rectory reset and it came back anyway. That's why I haven't done one yet. I hear it doesn't help at all.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If I try to turn off all cards it says it's turning off Google Now. So I just turned off most of them.

Also after my Note 2 being on for 16 hours I'm at 81% that was without restarting it before I charged it and I've been on Wi-Fi the whole time.

My samsung SGH-T889 battery averages 1d 23h 47m (12h 32m 0s active usage) on a single charge. Check out GSam Battery Monitor: - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=jk9FF0B6 #badassbattery

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine was Google maps too. It's now Google services. I guess if it's not one thing it's another.

I just don't get how Google hasn't fixed this.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
So after 3 hours right off the charger with allot of use. 2 hours 45 minutes of on screen time. I was down to 73% or so.

Last night leaving it alone as I slept it dropped to 89%. The main issue is still Google Services. Like why Google Services is acting the way it is.

I just hope they figure it out because it seems no one here has or fully understands why Google Services is draining so much battery.

Maybe Google hasn't talked about this issue because they don't know what happened as well. It would be nice to at least hear they are working on a fix and are sorry about the battery drain.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
If I try to turn off all cards it says it's turning off Google Now. So I just turned off most of them.

Also after my Note 2 being on for 16 hours I'm at 81% that was without restarting it before I charged it and I've been on Wi-Fi the whole time.

My samsung SGH-T889 battery averages 1d 23h 47m (12h 32m 0s active usage) on a single charge. Check out GSam Battery Monitor: - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=RRgjSohM #badassbattery
At this point, if you don't use the cards, just turn "Google Now" completely off

Last edited:

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Try a custum rom
Try rooting and cutti g down max processor to half when screen is ofd
Try the greenify app [hybernater, not killer]

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD

thanks for the suggestion. No need for this IMO. After turning off the location reporting settings in Google Maps (which doesn't adversely effect how the app works), I got a significant improvement of battery life. I can stretch usage out to 3 days now on a single charge.

For OP's benefit, I also disables Google Now completely (doesn't adversely effect the voice search feature), and disabled most of my Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware. I also never update all bloatware software. All this literally completely changed my battery life for the better.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
https://www.box.com/s/ekawuatg7610c1u8huc4

That's a screen I just took. Not sure if it's worth anything or will tell you anything.

a few recommendations:

1. you need to completely shut down all your usage and rerun this diagnosic overnight. Your usage of apps and the phone is cluttering the results. So charge your phone up completely before going to bed, then put it in Airplane mode or just have the cell reception on (turn all other data & wifi radios and apps off), and let the diagnostic/logger run overnight. Then give us another screenshot.

2. what's pulse? Whatever it is, don't actively use it while you run the diagnostic overnight. If pulse is passive, then let it go, it might be the culprit too.

3. based on the link I provided earlier, you can start disabling stock Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware apps, and other suggestion mentioned in the thread.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
a few recommendations:

1. you need to completely shut down all your usage and rerun this diagnosic overnight. Your usage of apps and the phone is cluttering the results. So charge your phone up completely before going to bed, then put it in Airplane mode or just have the cell reception on (turn all other data & wifi radios and apps off), and let the diagnostic/logger run overnight. Then give us another screenshot.

2. what's pulse? Whatever it is, don't actively use it while you run the diagnostic overnight. If pulse is passive, then let it go, it might be the culprit too.

3. based on the link I provided earlier, you can start disabling stock Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware apps, and other suggestion mentioned in the thread.

Puls is a news fees app.
It downloads when u open app only I belive. And then only the genre of news ur looking at.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah pulse is fine. I was on it for a while getting my news that's why it was up there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance