Using the TMobile Note 2 in Asia (not Japan & Korea) and Europe for 3G internet

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I've unlocked my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2. I plan to use this phone during my travels in Asian and Europe by buying prepaid simcards. however, i'm very confused whether I can receive voice and 3G internet coverage on my phone when I buy a GSM pre-paid card in Asia and Europe.

I noticed that Asian (except Japan & Korea) and European countries uses GSM 900 and 1800 frequencies but also uses 2100 for HSPA coverage. So it appears voice coverage would work given we have a quad band phone: 850, 1900, 1800, 1900MHz, and 1800 overlaps in this case.

What about 3 G internet?
Does this mean that b/c our T-Mobile GN2s also use 2100 here for HSPA+ downstream, we can access Asian and European 3G internet speeds on a prepaid GSM sim card b/c they're on 2100?

thanks.

Last edited:

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am currently deployed and I'm able to use my phone here via the wi-fi calling option without any problems. Well, as long as i'm connected to the wifi network here at my location that is. I still recieve all calls, texts, and voicemails without any problems. Just something you may want to consider...

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks, but b/c I'll be out and about, aquiring free and consistent wifi service would be an issue.

so after extensive researched, I think I was able to answer my question.

For voice, the T-Mobile Note 2 is a GSM quad band phone, but in short, GSM 1800 MHz covers voice across the globe. (even though USA doesn't use GSM 1800 for voice)

For data, the areas I mentioned mostly uses UMTS 2100 or UMTS Band 1. The Note 2 covers UMTS 2100. So I'm good to go with 3G data coverage.

LTE: Ha! US is on a completely different frequency bands

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress