Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 2: Stay awake while charging

Looks like the 4.3 update got rid of developer options mode where I was able to keep the display awake while charging....is there any other way to do this?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Default Re: Stay awake while charging

Do you see the Developer Options at all? If they don't show up at all, you know the trick, right? Go to Settings>About Phone, and tap Build Version about 7 times.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Yes, in 4.4 Kitkat that feature was removed. I guess you could adjust the screen timeout of the device by going to Settings > Sleep and select 30 minutes (maximum)
    The only downside is that you have to interact with the device every 30 minutes to prevent the device from sleeping.

Or you could set the device to daydream while charging. If you disable the lock it's like it stays awake.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    EviI likes this.

Was it only removed in the Note with KitKat? Because I still have that feature on my 2013 Nexus 7 running KitKat 4.4.2.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Was it only removed in the Note with KitKat? Because I still have that feature on my 2013 Nexus 7 running KitKat 4.4.2.

Posted via Android Central App
    I don't seem to have it on my Nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube View Post
    I don't seem to have it on my Nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Try in About Phone, tap rapidly on Build Number on the bottom. There will be popup text that says "you are 4 steps away from being a developer!" So rapid tap 4 more times and then tap back key, and Developer Options should be back in Settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Oops, initially "rapid tap" on Build number 4 times. That's when the popup text indicates tap 4 more times. 4.4 KitKat Another joke Google played on us. They're reminding me of my cat.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Oops, initially "rapid tap" on Build number 4 times. That's when the popup text indicates tap 4 more times. 4.4 KitKat Another joke Google played on us. They're reminding me of my cat.

And yes, you can set the phone to stay awake once you can access the Developer Options. Maybe they hide it after a while for those of us who don't go in it after we first see it because I remember it being there in Settings when I first got my Nexus 5.

Thanked by:

Ha! That's good! I got it! Thank you.

This worked great, thanks for posting

Default Re: Note 2: Stay awake while charging

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher5000 View Post
    Looks like the 4.3 update got rid of developer options mode where I was able to keep the display awake while charging....is there any other way to do this?
    so let me ask why anyone would want to leave the screen on while its on the charger lets say over night? ifs funny as just the other day i was chatting with a buddy that has a note 3 he did exactly that mind you he has had the phone since the day it came out but never less he said he went in and changed the settings to keep the screen on while charging and now it has burnt the icons into the screen remember like the old plazma tv's use to do? if you left it on pause for an extended period of time it would burn the image into the screen, i really didn't think the phone would do that but evidently it does.

I want the screen to stay on while I'm driving with the charger plugged in. I stream TuneIn Radio and it turns the screen off after the timeout. I want to see the name of song and artist.
    Thanked by:

It was also very useful for just what it says it was... as a developer option. If you're running tests, or active in the ADB but not necessarily actively touching the screen, but still want the screen to stay on to read information.

That's really all I ever used it for. For the car, the music app I use in the car keeps the screen awake on it's own anyway. Same with the clock app I use in the dock beside my bed.