T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2: Data Issues

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Problem solving time:

I have a T-Mobile Note 2 with CM 10.2.1 (Android 4.3) and I've been really happy with it. I work from home, so most of my data use is over wifi. While running some errands a couple of days ago, I noticed I'm no longer getting data while not on wifi. I can get full bars or close to it, but showing as the inactive white, not the active blue of Android 4.3. So, there is signal. A friend's stock Nexus 5, also on T-Mo, isn't having the same issue. And phone calls seem to be unaffected. So, here are my mostly novice questions:

1) Are there any settings I should check?

2) If the settings are all OK, are there any apps that might cause issues? Which ones?

3) If it's hardware, what kind of repair cost am I looking at, if I wanted to repair instead of replace?

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Problem solving time:

I have a T-Mobile Note 2 with CM 10.2.1 (Android 4.3) and I've been really happy with it. I work from home, so most of my data use is over wifi. While running some errands a couple of days ago, I noticed I'm no longer getting data while not on wifi. I can get full bars or close to it, but showing as the inactive white, not the active blue of Android 4.3. So, there is signal. A friend's stock Nexus 5, also on T-Mo, isn't having the same issue. And phone calls seem to be unaffected. So, here are my mostly novice questions:

1) Are there any settings I should check?

2) If the settings are all OK, are there any apps that might cause issues? Which ones?

3) If it's hardware, what kind of repair cost am I looking at, if I wanted to repair instead of replace?

And the answer is....

Well, maybe. #1 seems to be the culprit. APN to be precise. The phone has 5 APN presets. One each for Simple Mobile and StraightTalk T-Mo. The other three are native T-Mo.

a) epc.t-mobile.com seems to favor edge settings,

b) fast.t-mobile.com favors LTE

c) there's also an IPv6 fast.t-mobile.com

My phone was on epc, so I played with the choices. That and the IPv6 setting struggle and give up. The regular LTE setting works like a champ. So, if anyone has a similar issue, it looks like APN is the first thing to check.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you on tmobile direct or an mvno?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Contact tmobile they should be able to sort it out.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
And the answer is....

Well, maybe. #1 seems to be the culprit. APN to be precise. The phone has 5 APN presets. One each for Simple Mobile and StraightTalk T-Mo. The other three are native T-Mo.

a) epc.t-mobile.com seems to favor edge settings,

b) fast.t-mobile.com favors LTE

c) there's also an IPv6 fast.t-mobile.com

My phone was on epc, so I played with the choices. That and the IPv6 setting struggle and give up. The regular LTE setting works like a champ. So, if anyone has a similar issue, it looks like APN is the first thing to check.

Option B worked for me. But, I have an unlocked AT&T Note 2 and use Tmo sim and changed APN to option B. Also, make sure Preferred Network Type is set to LTE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon