Should I get this phone?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched from Virgin Mobile and signed up to T-Mobile under my mother's family plan and I went with the G2x (it was free). Needless to say, my first impressions with that phone were very poor and my first hands on experience with it was underwhelming. My Optimus V started freezing up after I dropped it a bunch of times; the G2x started having freezing issues on day one. I ended up doing a factory reset and, for the most part, it was tolerable.

I like the phone, don't get me wrong. It's pretty and it's not too bad on performance and I can avoid it locking up by occasionally turning it off then on (although, I should never have had to resort to that in the first place...). However, I don't feel it performs as well as a new, more powerful Android phone should perform (compared to my two prior Android phones; the Optimus M and the Optimus V).

I was going to try and man up and just stomach it for a year or so before I can get an upgrade, but the GPS on it is next to useless and I just can't justify this phone being worth it for a year's length even if it was a free. That on top of all the other issues that this phone has presented (Google search tells me that I'm not the only one) has lead me to want to exchange it while I still have the option.

I don't to spend too much money (otherwise, I'd just get the Galaxy S II), and I think the next two best options from T-Mobile at $100 each are either this, the Galaxy S 4G, or the myTouch 4G. I'm leaning heavily towards the Galaxy. Aside from lack of a flash on its camera, is there any reason why I shouldn't consider it? Coming from the Optimus V, anything is an upgrade. In the week I've owned the G2x, I've rarely made use of the flash so I can't actually say that flash or lack of flash will be a deciding factor for me (although I like the idea that it can be used as a very effective flashlight).

Are there issues unique to it that I will run into like I did with the G2x or is it a solid phone? Would you say it's a better choice than the myTouch? A bigger screen is a plus for a me and, as much as I feel the Search key isn't necessary, I don't think I like the idea of the "Genius" key on the myTouch. It makes no difference that it's not running stock Android as I'll probably install GO Launcher EX right away.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just went through all the options when I was helping my mom decide which phone to switch to. The G2X had a lot of known issues, but from what I read the ginger bread update helped quite a bit. I was wondering if your phone had that yet.
Otherwise, we ended up deciding on the galaxy s4g. She didn't want to spend the money on the GS2, and the mytouch I found weird with the genius button, plus its an HTC, which have a reputation for bad battery life.
My only concern about the galaxy is the very small amount of internal storage (like 350MB) for apps. My mom isn't the type to put a ton of apps on her phone, so this wasn't a deal breaker. But you might want to consider it. With the ability to move apps2SD, its not too bad. But if you like to have a bunch of apps on your phone, or large games, the phone is limited.
One last thing, there are good flashlight apps for phones with no flash that use a bright white screen. My bionic has a flash and I still use the white screen because it had a larger area of effect.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The phone came with Gingerbread pre-installed. I've read that it helped with a lot of issues for those who had the phone prior to Gingerbread, however problems were still present. The first hour out the box, the phone was already starting to freeze up just as I'm trying to get some of my old apps reinstalled.

I'm going to try to look around for an exact answer for the amount of internal storage for apps, but 350 MB isn't too bad and it would at least be more manageable than the 170 MB that was present on the Optimus V that I used to use. It's cool on the G2x that I don't have to worry about internal space, but I come from a phone where I had to watch my memory so it's nothing new to me. As for the flashlight apps, I use one on all my phones, however, when the phone has a flash, that makes a great flashlight to use. However, again, I come from a phone that didn't have that luxury so the absence of a flash is something I can live with.

How's the GPS on the Galaxy? I've called my sister who has the phone and she says she has no problems, but there's no telling how often she uses it or how critical she is of the phone. My mom, for example, has the G2x and she clearly isn't as critical of its faults as I am or maybe she doesn't notice them. The GPS on the G2x is practically unusable. This phone is really sad. It should have a lot going for it from the hardware alone, but it just seems so problematic.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for its GPS, I haven't used it and my mom doesn't use it very much at this point. In all my research I never ran across those complaints about it. The galaxy line has a fairly good reputation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can speak for this phone. Ive had it for almost a year. Overall it is much smoother then the mytouch. Its gps is pretty solid and the data speeds are amazing. Ive had yet to make it lockup and the battery life is pretty good. The lack of flash hasnt been bad. It has really good lowlight optics and the pictures are clear as heck!! Overall i think its a better phone, but its ure decision

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I would get the Galaxy S 4G. The only thing is that the GPS takes forever to lock on (or not at all) and the compass is crap.. other than that its a beautiful device.

edfru2

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
great phone and does just about everything in an above average way. The GPS may not be the best. My navigation program was freezing with google maps so I switched to telenav. It think I am in the next neighborhood about 4/10ths of a mile from my house. Once I turn on the wireless network, the locator service gets it right. i'll have to check to see what happens when I am away from my home entwork.Wonder if the GPS will work better? Plus google maps is in beta I think so that may be affecting things also.

I love the phone and the features. Just hope TMOBILE comes through with an updated OS for the USA.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01