ICS on Galaxy S 4g

Vell123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
HI, I've been looking around all day trying to figure out why I cant install ICS(Ice cream sandwich) on my phone. I currently have the samsung galaxy s 4g
Model number SGH-T959V
Firmware 2.3.6.
running Gingerbread.

I tried getting CWM and for some reason I cant get it. I cant root my phone via computer because my computer doesnt read my phone when i connect the two. Tried rom manager off the android market or google play market and it say I need CWM. I'm just absolutely lost and frustrated because i really want this software. Can anyone help me

kineticarl

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I hear you, it's pretty frustrating. I think I ran around in circles on the xda forum trying to figure out which end was up. Slowly, I accumulated the knowledge to get it all going. Here are two great resources:

A nice getting started guide: Link

A comprehensive list of the ROMs available for the SGS4G: Link

Here's the rundown:
1.)Ditch Rom Manager, you don't need it, and it may do more harm then good on the SGS4G.
2.) To root, I used SuperOneClick. See directions from the first link above regarding USB Debugging. SuperOneClick
2.)Download SGS kernel flasher from the Google Play Store
3.)Download a replacement kernel that has CWM in it. Find one in the first link above. Launch SGS kernel flasher and flash the zipped kernel you just downloaded. From here, you're ready to backup your current setup, and then flash any ROM. To do this, you have to reboot to recovery (hold volume up, volume down, and power during startup). You can restore your backups here too, among other things.
4.)Download ROMs from the second link up there. I have tried a few but I default to CyanogenMod9. Put the zip (don't unzip it) you downloaded into the root directory of your sd card, reboot to recovery, and choose "install zip from sd card". From there, download to the zip you downloaded, and let it run. Don't forget to wipe caches and such per the more complete instructions in the first link.
5.)Enjoy ICS. Keep an extra battery and your charger with you. I don't know what's up with battery life....

I hope this helps and gets you on the fast track to getting the ROM you want on your phone. I fumbled my way through this not two months ago. Come back and let me know how it goes!

kineticarl

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, double post. Didn't realize the one above was pending approval so I typed it out again when the first one didn't show up immediately. I suppose I should have read the message that popped up after I posted that declared as much. Noob fail!

Last edited:

Satanseskimo

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This little gem of a guide has been a life saver. I was having the same problems, trying to clockwork to run, dealing with invalid signatures and everything. You're help here has been the only thing to explain to me how to do flash a custom rom, and now I feel very confident doing it. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, today, you are my personal Jesus Christ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463