Samsung Galaxy S 4G is official!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile to Deliver Fastest Smartphone Running on America?s Largest 4G Network
Galaxy S 4G Offers Rich Entertainment Experience at Lightning-Fast Speeds

BELLEVUE, Wash., and DALLAS ? Jan. 20, 2011 ? T-Mobile USA, Inc. and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S.1, today revealed the Galaxy S? 4G, exclusively from T-Mobile.

According to T-Mobile, the Galaxy S 4G will be the fastest smartphone running on America?s Largest 4G Network?. Powered by Android? 2.2 (Froyo), the Galaxy S 4G is T-Mobile?s first smartphone capable of delivering theoretical peak download speeds of up to 21 Mbps, delivering rich entertainment experiences at even faster speeds through its brilliant Super AMOLED touch screen display.

T-Mobile?s 4G network, America?s largest 4G network, is currently available in 100 major metropolitan areas, reaching approximately 200 million people nationwide. With aggressive plans to expand and double the speed of its 4G network in 2011, T-Mobile expects that 140 million Americans in 25 major metropolitan areas will have access to these increased 4G speeds by midyear.

?With Galaxy S 4G, T-Mobile will deliver its fastest smartphone yet on America?s largest 4G network, providing rich entertainment virtually whenever and wherever consumers want,? said Cole Brodman, chief marketing officer, T-Mobile USA. ?And with 4G data plans from $10 per month, we?re making blazing-fast 4G speeds and super smartphone experiences easily accessible to the millions who crave them.?

More information on the Galaxy S 4G from T-Mobile will be available in the coming weeks.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Am I a moron for wanting the Galaxy S 4G over MT4G? I would have bought the Vibrant before if it had FFC and flash. I've been hearing all this craziness about Sammy not releasing updates. With 2.2 everything seem to work fine especially bluetooth. Therefore, I would really care that much if in future Sammy is slow at releasing updates for this phone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I hope it won't sell.

Hating a bit?

Quite the coincidence 2.2 for the Vibrant was announced the same time as this phone was, isn't it? Good old Samsung.

Good old samsung?????? Wouldnt it be more like good old Tmo???????????

Am I a moron for wanting the Galaxy S 4G over MT4G? I would have bought the Vibrant before if it had FFC and flash. I've been hearing all this craziness about Sammy not releasing updates. With 2.2 everything seem to work fine especially bluetooth. Therefore, I would really care that much if in future Sammy is slow at releasing updates for this phone.

i hear ya, my fascinate is awsome, killed my DX even with Froyo. im much happier with this phone

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I love my myTouch 4G. Unless the screen is that important to you (and that would be understandable) I'd go with the myTouch. The Vibrant 4G hasn't made me think twice about my decision.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Quite the coincidence 2.2 for the Vibrant was announced the same time as this phone was, isn't it? Good old Samsung.

About that conspiracy theory...I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I think if anything (and of course nobody has any evidence to support this) they held the Vibrant 4G back until the Froyo update was ready for the OG Vibrant.

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Good old samsung?????? Wouldnt it be more like good old Tmo???????????

No, considering that the update has to be done through Kies, Samsung's software, if it was T-Mo's issue then an OTA would've came through my phone for the update. T-Mo still hasn't released it (if its even been provided to them yet).

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I love my myTouch 4G. Unless the screen is that important to you (and that would be understandable) I'd go with the myTouch. The Vibrant 4G hasn't made me think twice about my decision.

I like my MT4G too, but will probably end up getting a Galaxy S 4G - because of the support for 64QAM. I hope this doesn't turn into the future of t-mobile though, with many different tiers of "4G" (14.4, 21 and 42 mbit already) and us chasing an incrementally upgrading network.

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's support really sucks but thankfully their phones can be rooted to get updates sooner. Can't imagine how Android would be if we couldn't root the phones. I hate manufacturer skins.

Milehigh

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've done a lot of looking and check out any review I can find... the S 4G from T-Mobile is quite a bit different from the S2 hands on that AC did at MWC. 4" versus 4.3" screen, 5 megapixel versus 8 on the one demo'd at MWC. No flash on either camera, and some other odds and ends. What am I missing here, why does a US carrier make so many changes to the original version as demo'd at MWC?

Last edited:

DustinCasler

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy S 4G isn't based on the Galaxy S II, that's why you're seeing so many differences. The GS4G is based on the T-Mobile Vibrant variant of the Galaxy S series that was released last year. Which I guess could lead to the question of why release an updated version o the original Galaxy S halfway between it and the release of the Galaxy S II, to which I don't know the answer. It's benefits over the original Vibrant are front facing camera, higher capacity battery, HSPA+(4G) compatibility, a new back, and inception packaged with it instead of avatar from what I can tell. I don't much see the point of this but I think I will be buying one anyway. I finally wore out my Nexus One and just got a MyTouch 4G to replace it until the HTC Pyramid or Galaxy S II come out. But i'm not really caring for the MyTouch so i'm thinking of trading it for the GS4G tomorrow......

Milehigh

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, after posting that I spent some time looking at reviews, youtube demos and other sources and quickly realized it wasn't the same phone. Now I'm just impatient waiting for the S2 as that is the one I want :)

robbinsgj

Jan 25, 2010
www.gerryisms.com
Hey people, I currently have a G2 which I love as far as hardware, but I can't use the darn thing unless its in 2G only mode. So I'm thinking of replacing it with something else. I was thinking the GS4G but I have not read enough reviews. Any suggestions on what would be the best to get?

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have the mytouch 4g but I think I'm going to give the gs4g a shot. I loved the slim weight and size of my vibrant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11