How To Root the Samsung Galaxy S 4G

gcrutch

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I want to Root my phone just to removed the "Bloatware" (apps presinstalled that i don't use). Can I do this with the SuperOneClick process? If so, once i root and remove the unwanted apps, do I need to unroot? And once I unroot the phone will the preinstalled apps be gone and my phone restored back to regular use?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I want to Root my phone just to removed the "Bloatware" (apps presinstalled that i don't use). Can I do this with the SuperOneClick process?

Yes.

If so, once i root and remove the unwanted apps, do I need to unroot?

No.

And once I unroot the phone will the preinstalled apps be gone and my phone restored back to regular use?

Rooting/unrooting process has no effect on apps or phone settings.

gcrutch

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
ok kool....but is it possible to unroot phone with the uninstalled apps still gone? i don't want to leave my phone in the "root" state.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Only if the developer has an unroot script along with the root one, which usually they don't. You can double check the link in post #1 if you like. What is the reason for not wanting access to all your files/folders?

gcrutch

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't want it left wide open for me to mess something up or hit the wrong button or delete something that shouldn't be deleted. I just want to root it to uninstall the preinstalled apps that I don't use and then unroot it.

Reactions: LakeFishing

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are no additional buttons added to your phone once rooted, and you cannot delete things that shouldn't be deleted without learning how to get into folders like /system, which require special file explorers. Don't worry about it - you will not be able to tell the difference on your phone pre and post root, and it's virtually impossible to mess something up with normal use.

Seems like a moot point anyway as I just looked at the link in post #1 and didn't see an unrooting method.

gcrutch

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to root my phone using the SuperOneClick but it just gets stuck on "Waiting for Device"
do you know anything about rooting using SuperOneClick?:confused:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you download and install the Samsung drivers, as listed under "Requirements:" on that website? After you install the drivers you need to plug in your phone and let your computer recognize it.

If you've already done that, try switching USB ports and/or USB cables, as these can be finicky sometimes.

damoek

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I followed the exact process in the blog. Samsung Driver, SuperOneClick and wala! it seemed to take a while, maybe an hour or more until it came back and told me it was good to go, but it works great. I've been downloading all kinds of root apps. And yes, SuperOneClick seemed to have an Unroot function though I wasn't interested in testing it out.

Reactions: ragnarokx

cjg13

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
New To This

Please if at all possible can someone create an "idiots guide to rooting the SGS4G"?

I have been searching for a step by step guide and cannot find one for this phone. I have had the phone for a month and I am already down to 50mbs available. I need to clear up the bloatware.

Thanks,

CJ

El Suplexo

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, new forum member here. I decided to root my phone to get rid of the bloatware. I used the SuperOneClick you linked, got the drivers installed, and began the process. But for the past 45 minutes, it's been stuck at this:

SuperOneClick v1.6.5.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing rageagainstthecage...
175 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.030s)

OK

chmod rageagainstthecage...

OK

Running rageagainstthecage...

Is it suppose to take this long? Did I do something wrong somewhere? And now I'm all freaked out that my phone is going to be half-rooted and messed up or something. Help!

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine did that. I downloaded the Samsung USB driver and forgot to reboot the computer. (the driver doesn't ask for a reboot nor offer to do one.)

As soon as I rebooted the computer, it went very fast.

Also, AV programs seem to think that Rage is a Trojan. NOD32 was insistent about it. So I just turned off NOD32, and Online Armor.

Reactions: crank0901

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
This is all listed under Samsung x 4g - are you guys talking about the T-Mobile phone or the new, not yet released for Sprint.

Dates look wrong for Sprint.

I am reading, want to change from Epic to this for size, do not use keyboard and trying to see if its being supported for root, and then custom roms.

Mine is rooted and rommed, running great, but would rather have the smaller size.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon01