Ice Cream Sandwich coming for the Blaze

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Tmo support page lists as a "prerequisite" that the device not be rooted. My Blaze is rooted, but I haven't installed any custom ROMs. I've heard that rooting, by itself, shouldn't interfere with the update, but having custom ROMs might. Do you have any opinion as to whether it's necessary to unroot before going for the update?

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I got the update, which in itself unrooted the phone. If I want to re-root it, do I need different tar and pit files, or do I just repeat the root procedure I used before?

blackberry260

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the ICS update and so far it's pretty cool and very stable. For some odd reason it still looks a lot like Gingerbread to me but the functionality is a little different.

All in all I am a happy camper... Now can we please get Jelly Bean :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Kevyn, there have been some reports that it lags a bit on the Blaze. Have you found that to be the case? Also, are there any features or a change in the look that make it worthwhile to upgrade? I'm running a launcher now with Gingerbread and I'm really happy. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth it. Thanks.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This is the same phone as the at&t galaxy exhilarate right?

Does the ics update allow folders to be made on the home screens?

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Almost the same phone. The AT&T version has a 1.2 GHZ dual processor, while the T-Moble version has a 1.5 GHZ processor. Also, the AT&T version has LTE and HSPA+ 4G while its T-Mobile cousin supports only HSPA+ 4G.

As for folders on the home screen I"m not sure because I haven't upgraded to ICS due to all the complaints about it. But I do know that the Nova and Apex launchers for ICS let you do that. Holo Launcher for Gingerbread gives you the ICS look and most of its features, including the ability to create folders.

Last edited:

iDred

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I went to software update and it says no software updates available.
Software version I have is GINGERBREAD.UVLF4.

Should I be able to update it to Ice Cream?

Do I need a sim card to activate the phone? Cause I'm using it with no sim and wifi in my house.

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I was told by T-Mobile rep that rooted phones would not get update. I didn't care. Some said in forums and among friends that ICS not so good. I dont know about folk here and other phorums, my friends will hack own brain. Grain of basalt for my friends opining. Some said it was - ICS - cool. So I unrooted my phone in fit of hysteria, waited for update, none, so I decided to flash a stock rom of ICS. ICS - Android 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich; it worked, except I couldn't download updates or apps from Google Play. The updates queue was getting longer. I search engined constantly for two days, tried all the solutions but none worked except: downloaded com.android.vending.playstore and installed it, it worked.

I searched for way to revert to Gingerbread. I tried two methods to root the ICS I had, didn't work.

Tonight, this morning, 0430 Central U.S.A. time I was looking for ways to return phone to Gingerbread, reached for phone to call a friend in Brussels, saw the message on screen, Software Update et cetera. The update finished I checked the phone information: SGH-T769, Android version 4.0.4, Baseband version T769UVMB1.

Apparently the stock ICS wiped out record of my rootings and flashings. I may flash a stock Jellybean if the hardware is a good fit. I'm sure if you have rooted phone in the past but bring it back to stock, you will be in the ota queue for updates again. I almost forgot, check xda for stock roms for the Blaze. ICS is now faster, lots of new stuff under the hood. Can't wait to root the sucker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77