No more free WiFi tethering on Amaze or Galaxy S2

theslug

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not bull crap because when you sign up for service and that data feature, you're buying internet on that phone alone. Just like when you buy a service for your house like your power bill. You pay for your house. Not your house and others. So you can't plug a extension cord and give others power. It sucks that they are now doing it, but its not bull crap. Our luck has just ran out that's all... T-Mobile is still the best!!! Hands down.

LOL, actually it's perfectly fine to "share" power with whomever. It shows up on your bill and you pay for the extra power. If a neighbor runs their fridge off your outlet after losing power, are you suggesting that's against some rule? I mean maybe running an unapproved extension cord in some municipalities but that's another story. You're still paying for the power. Just like if a friend uses the data I pay for on their laptop.....

lunchBB

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the fair way for Tmobile or any other carrier to do is, to allow tethering to one 1 device without charging additional. At the same time while tethering, the phone data connection is restricted. In such case, it's only 1 person can use the data at a time, i.e. the owner.

But it seems impossible because all these carriers want to grab any nickle and dime if they could.

ysaykin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok the house example is a poor example, if I buy electricity, I pay per electricity used doesn't matter whether it's in the house, shed, barn, guest house, pool house, or whatever; as long as it's on the same property. That's like saying you should receive different electric bills for all these different structures, it's absurd especially if the electric companies would charge you a $15 fee just because you're using that electricity in another building on the same property. You pay for the data, after your cap it slows down. It shouldn't matter to tmo how anyone uses that data as long as they get paid for the data. They just found a way to swindle $15 more from people for no added service on their part.

dkperez

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In January, I bought a Galaxy S II. I SPECIFICALLY asked the sales person if it would tether, and was told "yes, with your data plan it will tether".

Fast forward to March when I need to go on the road and TETHER THE q#$%&u& THING, and of course, it doesn't work. SO, I contact my provider and PAY THE BLOODSUCKERS their extra money.

And the tethering STILL doesn't work 'cause "IT DOESN'T WORK WHEN YOU'RE ROAMING. IT DOESN'T WORK UNLESS YOU'RE IN A 3G OR 4G NETWORK!"

Which, of course, IS THE WHOLE POINT OF TETHERING - to USE IT when I'm roaming and on some crappy network in East Overshoe.

SO, which of the applications or downloads or WHATEVER, do I need to tether this thing? pdanet? foxfi? proxoid? I DON'T want to root the phone unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary, but I need the tethering to work. I'd LIKE wi-fi hotspot too, but I can live without that if I can connect the phone to the PC with a usb cable.

So, which thing do I need, and exactly WHAT do I need to do to get it working?

GhostGregg

May 23, 2011
Visit site
As some who knows how tmo billing systems work i can only suggest you do yourself a favor and just ask to be put on the data bundle that gives you wifi tethering for free. Its available on the 5gb and 10gb plans. If you dont proactively ask for it they wont offer it unless its an upsell. Or nut up and root for guaranteed functionality of your paid for device.

dkperez

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to presume I was UNCLEAR in my original entry..........

I'm ON THE 10gb PLAN AND PAYING THE BLOOD SUCKERS EXTRA FOR TETHERING..........

The tethering isn't useful. It REQUIRES that I have a 3G or 4G network. I USUALLY don't when traveling. It ALSO requires that I be in a "T-Mobile" network. This means it DOESN'T WORK WHEN ROAMING........

NEITHER of these was EVER a problem before. I tethered my HTC HD2 for 2 years, and ANY time I had a signal I could connect... Yes, it was sometimes slow, BUT IT WORKED...

As the tethering from T-Mobile works at the MOMENT, it's NOT WORTH A DAMN TO ME 'CAUSE IT'S TOO LIMITED...

So, can I get a response from SOMEBODY on WHAT WILL ACTUALLY WORK ON THIS POS SO I CAN TETHER IT THE WAY I WAS GUARANTEED I'D BE ABLE TO?

lhweb

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I only have 2 GB per month, non-rooted, without tethering and the Foxfi app works great for me. I just used it at a Hilton that charged $9 a day for wifi. I learned about it through this forum.

Last edited:

crrbiz

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me about this policy... When I had the Mytouch 4G there was no additional charges, and that was without rooting using tmobile app.

Now with the Galaxy S2, they wanted money.. Even worse, when you do tether, you can't use the data on the phone! I never had that restriction before.

-End rant. I also mentioned this to Tmobile support and got nowhere.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

dkperez

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've also had that conversation with several levels of support. And, like you, got nowhere...

Even IF you're paying the scumbags for the privilege of tethering rather than downloading the same data to the phone, they STILL impose the ridiculous limitations on usage. No roaming, no gprs, not 2G, no whatever...

I don't know if they're having a hissy fit 'cause they weren't allowed to merge with AT&T or there's some OTHER ridiculous reason, but T-Mobile is clearly trying to make it difficult to use your phone as YOU'D like.

In my case, HAD THE SALES PERSON TOLD ME of these asinine limitations, I wouldn't have replaced my phone, I'd have REPLACED T-MOBILE. There's GOT to be some provider that doesn't impose stupid restrictions like this on usage. Unfortunately, as far as I know, I'm now stuck with these <bleep> for the next 2 years, but I guarantee if this persists, I'll darn sure remember it and be looking elsewhere at that time.

dkperez

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Without going over into the snakepit of rooting...

I'd PREFER not to root my Galaxy S2, but I have to get the tethering working......

If I DO root, can I root on a memory card so I can boot of the absolute stock S2 when I need it?

If I DO root, will it absolutely enable me to do the tethering and hopefully, hot-spot without the limits that are currently imposed?

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I rooted using instructions easily googled with no data loss in about 15 minutes. I did not replace my rom. Then I bought a license for titanium backup so I could freeze the tethering monitor service. My wifi tether works fine now. I also uninstalled a bunch of bloatware. It works like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

lunychicago

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
hey i am rooted on my T989 galaxy s2 for tmobile and i dont think i used tethering before on this phone but i did yesterday and its not working. Its saying i have to pay.. how can i get around dat.. I need the tethering for my laptop to do homework :-(

Bizzare

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I Have the T-Mo S2 and I was able to use it yesterday with no problem. I didn't use an app went straight to the settings menu and turned on wifi tethering and it didn't ask for me to upgrade or pay, The $14.99 is news to me. I wasn't told that I would be getting billed for it or that there would be a price increase in the coming months on the day of sign up, and I got it 2 months ago .

elesbb

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I Have the T-Mo S2 and I was able to use it yesterday with no problem. I didn't use an app went straight to the settings menu and turned on wifi tethering and it didn't ask for me to upgrade or pay, The $14.99 is news to me. I wasn't told that I would be getting billed for it or that there would be a price increase in the coming months on the day of sign up, and I got it 2 months ago .

This is good :) as i plan on getting a sim for my HD2 yes different phone but i searched for T mobile tethering. And i think its totally not fair for them to disable this if we are paying for data. data is data, period. you just use more on a laptop then a cell phone. so you reach your cap faster, thats my choice, not theirs. -.-

thomascanty

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was at a T-Mobile store earlier today and the guy I talked to there explained to me that whether you have to pay the $15/month fee or not depends on the data plan you have assigned to your account. The "value" plan that costs $35/month and has a 5Gb cap includes free hot spot tethering. The other plans do not and would require the extra fee if you want to use tethering.