WIFI, burns through Battery like nothing else.

trofwa

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I exchanged what was most likely an A-OK GS2 since it inexplicablly died and wouldn't turn back on til the store plugged it in (Yes I tried)

So this time around I have run it with average usage, only using GPS all day,Phone lasted all day, even running Maps, and navigate.

then next day ONLY using Bluetooth kept the headset on all day, average usage, phone lasted all day.

Then on the third day I only ran wifi all... day, no all 107mins. Thats right, Wifi took the battery from 99% to 0% in 107 mins. No excessive use, just some browsing, email, 2 calls under 5 mins each, and the battery is gone.

Now to make sure it was just the WIFI, I reran the tests after that initial one with the same results, Bluetooth and GPS each would drain the battery to about 30-50% by the end of the day 8am-10pm. Run together they would bring it to zero by 7pm or so.

WIFi lasted the battery NO MORE then 2 hours on a full charge.

Why is WIFI on this phone such a sink? Bluetooth has always been the power sink on my other phones. IS it a new chip? New antenna or what? WHy does WIFI burn it up so fast comparatively?

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah when ever i have WiFi on my phone lasts forever, if i turn Wifi on when I get home and leave it on through the night I don't need to charge my phone at all until about 14 hours later, and I have it set to keep WiFi connected always.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Could you have checked some options to only allow syncing when on WiFi? I could see this using more battery, but otherwise it seems strange that your battery died that fast with nothing else different other than the turning WiFi on.

tootallll

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Must be a prob with your phone or a setting. Have my wifi on all day at work (8.5 hours) uses 60-70% of battery. Check and see what's burning up your battery. This is my first android and Samsung but I stumbled across a battery monitor somewhere on this phone that displayed in percentages how much battery an item used. For example "Screen 60%", "Sync 20%", etc. Haven't been able to find it again though...

Last edited:

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
WiFi on mine doesnt drain the battery however it absolutely sucks. It says Im connected to my wifi yet Im getting zero connection... Pissing me off.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah two hours is crazy. but one question is your wifi connected when on? or is it just on searching for an access point? the latter tends to burn the battery.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm having a similar problem which started last night. I have only had the phone for 3 days but at home I stay on wi-fi. the first day I had no problems with battery or staying connected. I kept wi-fi on all night and I still had plenty left on the battery. Last night and today it has been draining like crazy 3 hrs it is dead and I have to keep it connected to the wall charger if I use Wi-fi. Plus the 4g icon keeps popping up and it shows activity. Yet the Wifi is still connected with a very good signal and at 11-14 mbps.
Now I never noticed it but in thew settings for Wi-fi where it shows Wi-fi networks. it is always scanning even though I am connected to my home. Is there a way to stop it from constantly scanning for networks?
I have used Wi-fi analyzer to see if there is something going on if I Go to Wireless and Network settings and turn off Use packet data I stay connected and the 4g icon disappears. when I check the box again waiting 10-15 min I am back on 4g and Wi-fi showing both icons and the arrows on 4g showing activity.
I'm thinking of using the T-Mobile Tech Assist in the My device before I bring the phone back to the store and see if there is something I don't know about or get a new phone...Any suggestions and has anyone used the Tech Assist?

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
well guess Ill go to store and see about a new phone cause I'm charging ever 4 hrs if I stay on Wi-fi. I have used through Task manager to make sure nothing is running and made sure all processes closed using the ram function.
I still have it scanning for wi-fi network though I am connected to my home and the 4g icon keeps coming back next to the wi-fi icon. Hate to do it cause every thing else seems to work. I'm afraid another phone might have another problem.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So far so good with new phone no drop of wi-fi and I'm getting. 12 hrs of light use and about 6-8 of heavy internet use on wi-fi. Phone not getting hot and the people at the store have been great. Now I need to get the phone to stop asking me what do you want to do. I. tried that POS voice talk and it is driving me crazy. It wouldn't be bad if it understood what I was asking it to do. Shame on you Samsung and T-mobile for using it. plus hands free means not having to touch the phone to start it working. Why do I have to allow them to log my phone and collect info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech