Is it just my bad luck, or do Samsung phones have issues?

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
So I have not had a very good experience with Samsung phones (I use an iPhone now, but I still have to deal with this Samsung ....)

My first experience with Samsung is a Samsung Behold. It did not work for me and I had to exchange that phone twice.

Second experience with Samsung is Samsung Galaxy S. That phone is nice and all..but I had to exchange it 3 times because it lagged, froze, and had multiple problems. And even after that it still didn't work right. After this experience, I chose to not ever get another Samsung phone and never have to deal with their inability to make good phones...

But then my dad and my brother had to get Samsung phones...Galaxy S II and Sidekick 4G. And now BOTH of them are having lagging issues, phone freezing, and not connecting to the internet correctly. My brother had to reset his phone 2 times now. My dad's phone internet is extremely slow despite being on 4G Unlimited plan. They always call me for help, so now I'm stuck dealing with Samsung phone problems even though I don't even own one anymore!

So please tell me...is it just my bad luck that I'm stuck with seemingly defective phones all the time? Or is it just Samsung's incompetence and inability to make a high-quality phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

dannytroy

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it just my bad luck, or that Samsung phones suck?

I had two first gen iPhones, and recently bought an iPhone 4 updated with the latest OS. Apple makes you jump through hoops at every turn, and jailbreaking the iPhone 4 to use on T-Mobile wasn't happening. I gave up the fight, jumped ship and switched to my first Android based phone, the SG2, and couldn't be happier. Just to have the freedom to be able to drag and drop, without dealing with iTunes, is itself almost a reason to make the switch. But, the larger screen and snappy performance of my SG2 has me a believer. Oh, and I forgot the mention the ability to easily replace the battery, and have external SD memory....nice!

It is just possible you need to have yours serviced, or updated with the latest firmware???.

Bbobarino

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I love Samsung! I couldn't tell h about the stock Samsung phone cuz I root,recover, and flash within a day of buying my phones. I have no issues with this phone but again its modded and for the slow internet the unlimited plan is either capped at 2 gb 5gb or 10gb it is unlimited data but not unlimited 4g. I suggest mod it and all issues will b resolved. Sure u void warranty rooting it but there are ways to unroot also research and root

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

LovinSoulGlo

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

My first Samsung phone and I am in love. No problems. I really consider the SGII a high end phone

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

My first Samsung phone and I am in love. No problems. I really consider the SGII a high end phone

Really? I find that hard to believe. My experience with Samsung phones have not been good at all. All of the Samsung phones I have had suck. No matter how much I try, i can't fix this issue I am having with the phone.

Ugh it's frustrating. And tmobile support is not helping at all.

badasnissan

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

I have the galaxy s 4g and I updated to the 2.3.6 and I have to take my battery out once or twice a day because it freezes on me. I had the vibrant when they first came out I loved it tell the first update then I was sending it back every month for a refurbish one. I was forced to get this one by Tmobile I like the phone but the lag and freezing all the time sucks.

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

one of my friends has the galaxy s while i had a blackberry bold 9700.
my contract renewed and my friend told me to get the new s2, so i did.
i love it!
i've downloaded a ton of apps, and customized it, and continue to play around with it.
i havent had hardly any issues, and 2x battery has helped the battery life, along with the new update.
i love samsung products!
The first blackberry bold i got from tmo was slow and had issues like that, and they replaced it.
maybe you need to keep asking for replacements.

lhweb

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Love my G2S. It's fast and the only problem I had was the battery that Tmobile replaced after the first day. Having had an HTC & blackberry too I just bought my daughter a Samsung.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

I've had my GS2 since the first day it came on sale, in my opinion, its the best phone on T-Mobile. I've had zero problems whatsoever, and it works perfectly. I had the original Galaxy S Vibrant before this and it also worked great, so I'm thinking you're just having bad luck with em.

eraemlong

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I am on the same page as you. All these people must have not realize any problems because they have never had a good phone. I had a galaxy S1 for one and a half years on T-mobile and I had to get it replaced 13 times. I asked for a new phone and they said i could get a Galaxy S3. I looked at the phone and said no because i would be embarrassed to pull that phone out of my pocket because of its size. I broke down and bought a iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Really? I find that hard to believe. My experience with Samsung phones have not been good at all. All of the Samsung phones I have had suck. No matter how much I try, i can't fix this issue I am having with the phone.

Ugh it's frustrating. And tmobile support is not helping at all.

Now, if you had said, T-Mobile sucks, or Kies sucks, i could agree with you. I have the SGSIII, with AT&T, and i couldn't be happier with my phone or the service. :p

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah all I owned really was Samsung products. Tvz washer drier my ns4g my sg2 and my current phone is all made by Samsung and I have no problems

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Ivy Vine

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I know this is a very old thread, with just a few new responses, but I love my GS2! I have had it almost 15 months now and I have never had any issues with it. Works better than most other phones I have seen my friends use. The only iPhone I would ever consider is the iPhone 5 and I still couldn't take the smaller screen size. Also the fact that there is no removable battery (meaning you can't have multiple ones that you use), no expandable external storage space, and I prefer Android for my smartphone (I do have iPods and mac computers, which I love, but just like Android more for my phone).

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

So no one has any clue to my dilemma here?

Haha, I know that particular feeling you're going through here.

Sadly, user experience with ANY device in general will vary. Your issue isn't just exclusive to Samsung Android handsets. However, if you really need to point a finger at someone, I suggest you blame the OEM's who place their ridiculous skinned versions of Android packed with features most of us are not ever going to use on our phones. In most cases, it's not the hardware that's the problem, it's usually the software.

Actually, you may just be having bad luck with Samsung devices, as I've yet to see a sammy device I own let me down.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I know this is a very old thread, with just a few new responses, but I love my GS2! I have had it almost 15 months now and I have never had any issues with it. Works better than most other phones I have seen my friends use. The only iPhone I would ever consider is the iPhone 5 and I still couldn't take the smaller screen size. Also the fact that there is no removable battery (meaning you can't have multiple ones that you use), no expandable external storage space, and I prefer Android for my smartphone (I do have iPods and mac computers, which I love, but just like Android more for my phone).

Have to agree with your post. I'm more open to devices these days and I can see the iPhone 5 as a viable option for the role as my daily driver, but the handset is plagues with that RIDICULOUS screen size. Whoever designed that product needs to learn some common sense: if you're going to make a phone's screen larger, do so that you're going to expand the length and width as well. Having a "tall" screen will NOT cut it as a "large" screen.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a Sprint Samsung 4G Nexus and the radio was so weak. It seemed to have only 1-2 bars most of the time in my area, and sometimes it would not get any signal when inside a building. I switched to a HTC EVO LTE and the radio signal improved dramatically, which then turned me off to the Samsung phones.

Ivy Vine

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree that OEM's are the biggest problem with almost any kind of device. Take any carrier for phones, or computer manufacturer (like Dell). Their bloatware just adds problems for the most part. With computers I would always get a new system and then immediately reinstall the OS. There really should be an easier way to deal with it for phones though. I can understand that with some applications, it is more useful having it already installed, but most "extras" you never use. When you cannot easily uninstall it either, then it makes everyone throw their hands up in the air. If they at least made it so EVERYTHING could be uninstalled that was considered "bloatware", then not as many people would feel the need to use ROMS instead. Well, I am sure some would also like to take the extra skins off as well and do other tweaks, but there would be a significant % that would be happy with just being able to delete the crap they don't want on it.

There are a few things that I would like to leave on my phone. As a T-Mobile user, I really like the Wifi Calling feature. I don't always get the best signal at home, but I know that I can always make calls with this feature. I would hate to lose that. I don't think that feature is worth the extra cost that a phone might have from buying it straight from T-Mobile though. Like with the Nexus 4 (I know, not a Samsung, it would be better if it was!). 16GB from the Google Play Store is $349. Buying it from T-Mobile, it's $429.99 or so. Outrageous that it is almost $100 more, and not worth it when you have to deal with ALL the bloatware, but I would be tempted to get their version because of Wifi Calling being available on it. And Visual Voicemail (not sure if that works on other non-T-Mobile branded handsets). If I could delete the extra stuff not needed, then I would probably spend the extra money. But since it can't be done easily, I would most likely get the cheaper version and deal with not getting those features after all.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree that OEM's are the biggest problem with almost any kind of device. Take any carrier for phones, or computer manufacturer (like Dell). Their bloatware just adds problems for the most part. With computers I would always get a new system and then immediately reinstall the OS. There really should be an easier way to deal with it for phones though. I can understand that with some applications, it is more useful having it already installed, but most "extras" you never use. When you cannot easily uninstall it either, then it makes everyone throw their hands up in the air. If they at least made it so EVERYTHING could be uninstalled that was considered "bloatware", then not as many people would feel the need to use ROMS instead. Well, I am sure some would also like to take the extra skins off as well and do other tweaks, but there would be a significant % that would be happy with just being able to delete the crap they don't want on it.

There are a few things that I would like to leave on my phone. As a T-Mobile user, I really like the Wifi Calling feature. I don't always get the best signal at home, but I know that I can always make calls with this feature. I would hate to lose that. I don't think that feature is worth the extra cost that a phone might have from buying it straight from T-Mobile though. Like with the Nexus 4 (I know, not a Samsung, it would be better if it was!). 16GB from the Google Play Store is $349. Buying it from T-Mobile, it's $429.99 or so. Outrageous that it is almost $100 more, and not worth it when you have to deal with ALL the bloatware, but I would be tempted to get their version because of Wifi Calling being available on it. And Visual Voicemail (not sure if that works on other non-T-Mobile branded handsets). If I could delete the extra stuff not needed, then I would probably spend the extra money. But since it can't be done easily, I would most likely get the cheaper version and deal with not getting those features after all.

OEM's are the main culprit of a sub-standard android experience. I'm all up for OEM-exclusive features like WiFi Calling on Samsung handsets, but manufacturers can do so in a way that keeps the stock vanilla Android UI without the proprietary skins that are known to slow down the OS' overall performance.

Actually, it's quite easy to remove carrier bloatware: all you need is root and a file browser that can access system resources. Removing OEM bloatware, on the other hand, is a more delicate task. If you remove ANY important OEM apps required for system applications and processes, you can cause force-closes, bootloops, and even a soft-brick.

yeahyeah1234567

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
its not just your bad luck. ive had two samsung phones and both chug! they chug so hard it aint funny. always lagging, freezing, needing to be turned off and on. they are absolute junk. the games lag, everything lags. samsung make complete junk that chugs harder than a glass of eggnog down my throat at christmas. they should change their name to chugsung instead of samsung. or samchug. or just chugchug.