How to do a factory reset? on ics
06-20-2012 09:24 PM
- I been reading that a factory reset or a master reset will fix the lag issue and everything else wrong with my phone. My question is how do I do this and what will that erase and not erase? Things like my music and pictures? Videos? I just want my phone lag free.06-16-2012 05:39 PM
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums06-16-2012 05:49 PM
- There's another way. Either way, as L2 Fly wrote, you'll lose EVERYTHING.
Back everything up to your SD card (or computer if no SD) and unmount it, then remove it -- it shouldn't be necessary, but better safe than sorry. You may also wanna back up your contacts, too (I exported my Google account stuff to a csv, just in case).
Next, go to the Settings -> Storage menu and choose Format USB Storage.
Now for the magic erase:
- Power off the phone.
- With the phone off, hold the VOL UP, VOL DOWN, and POWER buttons (in that order -- don't let them go).
- When "SAMSUNG" displays, you can let go of the buttons.
- The device'll load to the Android system recovery <3e> screen.
- Use the VOLUME buttons to navigate the 4 or 5 options and POWER button to select them.
- Select "wipe cache partition". Agree if a warning pops up.
- Select "wipe data/factory reset". Agree if a warning pops up.
- If necessary, select "reboot system now" -- I forget if you need to; I'm betting you do.
- The phone will come back up and, in my case at least, it took 60 looong seconds before I got to the Android welcome and set up screen -- give it time
You're done; it'll be as if they factory-installed ICS and you just bought the phone.
Personally I didn't need to do this, but even with a package-managed OS like Linux, I generally prefer to wipe and reinstall the OS when doing an upgrade (as opposed to an update; 2.3.5 to 2.3.6, keep all... 2.3x to 4.0x, wipe) -- it's natural that I would do the same with Android06-18-2012 02:02 AMLike 1
- I did it twice. One from the reset back up setting and on holding the buttons and rebooting. It feels the same. Irk if its how this is supposed to be. I watched a video on YouTube and that phone seems to lag as much as mine so I guess mine its OK. But I know it didn't lag as much and got a black screen while it loaded the phone app or the contact app. I hope there is a fix for this. Even typing here now it freezes when I'm typing. The thing is I really like ics but thinking how do I put gingerbread back. Guess I can't06-19-2012 11:15 PM
- I did 4 factory resets, still lags, still getting random black screens, still getting unresponsive programs and I still have this random yellow line going from the top to the bottom of my screen (on the left side). I wish I never updated to ICS. I updated 2 galaxy sII's at the same time...Mine went to crap, my wife's works great.
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo06-20-2012 09:47 AM
- i did the ics upgrade without resetting the phone and had terrible problems.
i did the factory reset and it works great now.
had to reload all my apps though which was a pain in the a$$
i just took screen shots of all the pages with all my apps i have
then downloaded them all again (while I watched the HEAT win last night)
i HIGHLY recommend following the instructions above.
I did KIES and downloaded all my pics and vids before reformatting
i use google mail and calendar so i didnt have to worry about saving my contacts.
DO IT!06-20-2012 09:24 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- T-Mobile Galaxy S II
How to do a factory reset? on ics
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD