Still worth getting for $330 off contract?

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
With the S3 and Note 2 out and all, I'm still on my Optimus V.
I saw the T-Mobile GS2 on walmart.com for $330 with a free month of service, off contract and all.
Is it worth it, for the price, and the constantly upgrading hardware/software happening in the phone market?
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

arpwizard

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I would think that it is worth it. The GS2 is an awesome phone. My GF got Sprint's variant back in May and I use it a lot even now. Its running ICS and all S2s will get JB in November. Beyond that, who knows? I bet Samsung would do one more official update after JB, but I have no idea. For the price you can't really find an unlocked GS2 brand new for much less than $299, if at all, from my searching. When you get that phone from Wal-mart I believe its locked to T-mobile, but I recall reading something that they will unlock it after 60 days I believe.

I'm in a similiar situation, debating over Walmart's T-mobile S2 (I called a T-mobile store and while they have white, the price is $100 more), a used unlocked one from Ebay or a Galaxy Nexus. The Gnex will stay current (I think) and be a great phone because its optimized for/by Google, where as the Galaxy S series are great phones from Samsung. If you like Touchwiz with its useful things like the toggles in the pull-down menu and the form factor of the S2, I would go with it. I think the S2's are awesome and one of the nicest phones out there, even over a year later.

I'd say it would be a great phone to get.

Last edited:

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Good points! Yeah, I saw it on Walmart.com, S2 off-contract for $330, with a free month of service, as I'd be using monthly4G anyways.
I'm going to wait until Google's conference to see if the price of the Galaxy Nexus goes down, or not. If it doesn't, I'll go for the S2. If it does, GNex all the way.

arpwizard

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for Google's conference as well but since that big storm in the Northeast is coming through they postponed it. Even if the Gnex comes down I will probably just get a used S2 myself.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
ABSOLUTELY! I recently bought an S2 from Walmart and am very pleased. The phone is fast, stable, customizable, installed a 32 FBI card Go Launcher, Go SMS, and Go contacts to dress out my favorite colors and add cool effects that many S3 and iPhone users are jealous of. With JB right right around the corner I will have a device worth much more than paid for. Processing and speed are more than adequate to move through the future.

Yes it came with a T-Mobile sim and as I was wanting to move away from sprint this was a good thing. But If you have an active some from other carrier it should work.

Personally I am enjoying paying only 30 bucks a month for unlimited data and text. Don't talk much on phone so 100 minutes works for me. But 50.00 wouldn't hurt for unlimited everything.

In my area T-Mobile is proving to be better than Sprint or ATT!

Definitely would recommend both.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, in my opinion, no. Its a good phone no doubt, but for $330 + tax? I would recommend getting a used HTC Sensation 4G and rooting it and overclocking it. You would save $150. And would get a higher density higher quality display. The sensation is qHD (960x540) and the Galaxy SII is only 800x480, AND the SII has a larger 4.52" screen, so you'll really be able to see the pixels. I can't see any pixels on my Sensation unless I look REALLY close, and it fits REALLY nicely in my hand. Good luck with whatever you choose but I highly recommend a Sensation. :)

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Pixels visible on S2? Where? using a microscope maybe. Are you really looking at an S2? For an out of the box, no root or overclock the S2 wide be a brand new warranteed device . Pixels are visible on my Acer A100 but not the S2. Handle one and see for yourself.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

intoaction66

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well you could wait a little while and get a nexus 4 for the same price as a gs2. Or try and look on Craigslist and find a gs3. You could probably find one for around 300 if you keep lookin.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know why you think all the s2's are getting jelly bean in November. There is no way any s2 in the USA will be getting jelly bean at least for a few months after its released in the rest of the world first. That's if we are lucky. I've heard rumors but I don't get how you can say something like that without any proof. I really do wish you were right but we all know how the US phone markets are always last and not only last but late by months.

Back on topic. The s2 for that price is a steal. It's a great phone and even though we will not see jelly bean for a while ics runs great.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2