Help switching from T-Mobile to Straight Talk

Ted Nugent

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S II and have switched to Straight Talk. My issue is receiving data. Since I have switched the only way to receive data is via Wi-Fi. What do i need to do to receive data? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Ted Nugent

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
straight has told me that a galaxy s2 from t-mobile can not be used with straight talk. has anyone tried with success? we tried switching the APN as instructed with no luck phone works great with talking and texting just can not get data.:(

Minnetonka4me

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Some carriers use a user name and PW to authenticate. I would do a web search...there should be someone out there that has done the same thing.

You might have to jailbreak it too...but I am no pro.

The one last thing people dont know about is different carriers use different bands for different types of data. You would think though since its part of T-mo it would use the same bands.

My dad ended up with a jailbroken HTC from ATT and it didnt have the ability to use the 2100 T-mo band. It can however connect to edge.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk is cdma (sprint) not T-Mobile. Different radio bands. I wouldnt think it will ever work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk is cdma (sprint) not T-Mobile. Different radio bands. I wouldnt think it will ever work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Straight talk is not just CDMA...... You can also buy Sim cards for tmobile and att through them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

PastorMatt85

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
straight has told me that a galaxy s2 from t-mobile can not be used with straight talk. has anyone tried with success? we tried switching the APN as instructed with no luck phone works great with talking and texting just can not get data.:(

I just got mine today and found out you have to adjust the network type.

settings
wireless and network
mobile networks
*turn off packet data/ data roaming*
network mode (change to GSM only)
*turn packet data back on*
You will connect to EDGE, and i'm working on a way to get a higher speed working. Will report back when i do. this would all be solved had i not bought an ebay version that wont recognize a USB connection. (yes i tried everything from OEM cables, to KIES, to Samsung Drivers- all of it) if you can root it- do it! it's very easy if you've got a working USB connection

PastorMatt85

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine today and found out you have to adjust the network type.

settings
wireless and network
mobile networks
*turn off packet data/ data roaming*
network mode (change to GSM only)
*turn packet data back on*
You will connect to EDGE, and i'm working on a way to get a higher speed working. Will report back when i do. this would all be solved had i not bought an ebay version that wont recognize a USB connection. (yes i tried everything from OEM cables, to KIES, to Samsung Drivers- all of it) if you can root it- do it! it's very easy if you've got a working USB connection

i retract my previous statement... i have 4G WORKING now. woohoo! lol. instead of doing all those things i listed, MAKE SURE you DELETE the t-mobile APN.

go into all settings i listed previously;
Access Point Names
physically tuch the t-mob APN (assuming you already have straight talk's info in there Support | Straight Talk )
click your "menu" softkey/hardkey/ or ICS+ 'three dots" indicating options to pop up
choose "delete APN"
after that mine went straight to 4G: provided it's in your area.

let me know if you have any questions

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of bad information on this thread. I have a GSII T989 Hurcules on Straight talk and it works on HSPA+ ('4G')

A. Create a new APN (Access Point Name). Enter only the settings listed below.

Name: StraightTalk
APN: wap.tracfone
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: 8080
MMSC: Http://mms.tracfone.com
MMS Proxy: Leave blank
MMS Port: Leave blank

B. Select the APN you just created.
C. Delete the old APN from your phone if possible.

steffes

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
tried everything in this thread but still could not send pics with texts and couldn't access internet via straight talk network even though i could with wifi on. whenever i tried to access web via straight talk (leased from t-mobile) network, the url would change from whatever i entered (like Yahoo!) to 'androidapi.t-mobile.com/apppack/mvno.html' within 2-3 seconds.

then just for grins, i removed the straight talk access point name (apn) that i had created and started over by creating a new straight talk apn entering all settings accurately, just like the first time. then i saved new settings and power cycled, like the first time. however, after powering up this time i was delighted to see both features finally work, picture messaging and web access via straight talk network!

Last edited:

melovelynn

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have found the PERFECT SETTINGS for the locked OR unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy SII SKYROCKET, that is having trouble getting DATA or sending/receiving MMS. APN-straight talk or STRAIGHT TALK IT DOESNT MATTER. APN SETTING -wap.tracfone PORT - 8080 MMSC - http://mms.tracfone.com NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART. DONT HAVE SETTINGS FILLED IN ANYWHERE ELSE. IF THEY FILL IN ON THEIR OWN LIKE MNC & MCC THEN LEAVE THEM ALONE. Just dont fill in anything else yourself. HIT THE SAVE BUTTON UNDER MENU Dont worry about deleting the old TMobile settings, just make sure the green button next to your new settings is checked. NEXT IMPORTANT PART #2 HIT THE BACK BUTTON TWICE AFTER YOU HAVE SAVED YOUR SETTINGS, YOU WILL BE AT A PAGE THAT HAS USE PACKET DATA / ROAMING , ACCESS POINT NAMES, NETWORK MODE THEN NETWORK OPERATORS CLICK ON NETWORK OPERATORS then select SEARCH NOW...After you click on this it will do a search for a few minutes . It will come up with the choices AT&T and T-MOBILE SELECT T-MOBILE When you do you may see the Network mode grey out for a few minutes. It should say GSM ONLY under the Network Mode. You shouldnt even have to turn off your phone everything should work right then and Fast. Before I figured this out I could not send or get MMS or get online without WiFi. Good Luck and I hope this helps you all who have this same trouble.

i ALSO TRIED THIS IN A aATT GALAXY S II. I USED THE SAME 3 SETTINGS EXCEPT USING THE MVNO,CINGULAR SETTINGS. I did not put the ip addresses in where the recommended straight talk settings say to. repeat the same SAVE process , then go to the page on your phone where the network operators are listed. Do the same process, but for your phone select ATT as your network operator.Again the network mode should say GSM only. Go out of your settings and use your phone. Both these phones were unlocked that I used, but they dial a specific number internally to send an MMS. To get online there is also a specific web address. If each phone is set to the wrong network provider (ATmobile set to an ATT network provider, it throws everything off and will not work..Anyway, if your phone is working, great. If your STRAIGHT TALK ATT OR TMOBILE PNONE IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY...just try this. What have you got to lose?

kacir2030

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank You melovelynn

melovelynn - thank you!! i have spent almost 3 days searching and reading and trying every APN and setting i could find with no luck getting my mms to work!! Thanks to you I can finally use ,y phone to its full potential!! Thank You So Much!!!!! :)
BTW I have a Glaxy S3 - anyone having this problem TRY THIS!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!

Markhernandez7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, melovelynn!! I just bought my ST card for a T-Mob phone and seems like nobody at ST knew if I needed to have my Samsung Galaxy S unlocked or not, one rep said "no need, just call us when you get the SIM card", that didn't seem right, so I called back and they said it must be unlocked. Does anyone know which is correct? Still not clear on that part - but your instructions should make it easier overall. Thank you!

melovelynn

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi , I know you do not have to have an unlocked TMobile phone.Since I posted the setting above I have set up about 20 phones for other people on ATT and Tmobile for Straight Talk service. As long as you have a Straight Talk TMobile SIM for a TMobile locked phone ,or have a Straight Talk AT&T SIM for a locked ATT phone then you are ok. If your TMobile or AT&T phone is unlocked, you can use whichever service works best in your area. I live near Memphis. Here, I prefer TMobile service to AT&T,So, I use Tmobile SIM in my unlocked phone. My friend who lives closer to ATT towers in Arkansas, uses an AT&T SIM in her UNLOCKED TMobile phone. So, just use whats best for you. I am glad my settings helped you. Thank you for the nice reply.

melovelynn

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thank You melovelynn

Thank you so much for you kind words. I am so glad I was able to help. I do have to say I bought a new high speed SD card for my phone and when putting it in I dropped my phone and the battery fell out. I did have to reset my phone again. So, if for some reason your phone slows down or like me you drop your battery out, just redo these same settings and it should be ok. I got the same kind of disinterested staff and Tech support(?) when I was trying to set my phone up. I was determined to find out why so many people were having problems and what could be done about it. You would think that Walmart would be a little more concerned seeing that T-Mobiles prices are falling for their plans. I heard ATT is going to have a bit cheaper plan this summer(I dont know that for a fact) Anyway, they are not very good at support of their product. I was very close to switching to T-Mobiles 50$ plan and adding the 10 dollar data plan because I know T-Mobile has better tech support, and walmart with taxes is almost 50$. But,, now that I got the settings figured out its better. If there are any more glitches with their service, Im just going back to Tmobile since there is no longer a contract required with them. Anyway, my rant is over LOL, bvut I really am happy to have helped someone else.Have a great day!

Christy Little

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried what you suggested and its still not working. It keeps switching back to tmobile apn. I have a htc one s is there anything else you can suggest i cant get mms messages or get online...plz help!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira