Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

Default Re: Pros & Cons of Jelly Bean

The process of killing apps is a bit harder when you use AOSP ROMs, since they don't come with task manager, as that is exclusive to stock OEM ROMs such as TouchWiz and Sense.
    Alternatively, you can swipe an app's windows left or right to stop running applications. (Doesn't apply for app using background tasks such as Skype.)

My g/f has the SG2 and we updated it to Jelly Bean. She has been having issues with the Camera and Instagram. Seems like the buttons on the camera app don't like to show up half the time, and after taking a picture with Instagram (or choosing one that's been taken already) none of the picture editor buttons show up on the top or bottom of the screen (similar to the when the camera app doesn't work), but this happens every time with Instagram. Also, sometimes after unlocking the screen, it just goes black. You can hold the power button for a few seconds to get the restart or shut down box to pop up, so we know it's not freezing, but it just shows a black screen behind it. She's really mad at me since I told her to upgrade to it since I did on my Boost Mobile SG2 and it runs amazing. We need to get this problem fixed (and without hard booting it and losing everything on her phone).

Can anyone help us out?

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by panaphobic View Post
    My g/f has the SG2 and we updated it to Jelly Bean. She has been having issues with the Camera and Instagram. Seems like the buttons on the camera app don't like to show up half the time, and after taking a picture with Instagram (or choosing one that's been taken already) none of the picture editor buttons show up on the top or bottom of the screen (similar to the when the camera app doesn't work), but this happens every time with Instagram. Also, sometimes after unlocking the screen, it just goes black. You can hold the power button for a few seconds to get the restart or shut down box to pop up, so we know it's not freezing, but it just shows a black screen behind it. She's really mad at me since I told her to upgrade to it since I did on my Boost Mobile SG2 and it runs amazing. We need to get this problem fixed (and without hard booting it and losing everything on her phone).

Can anyone help us out?
    Yet again, an update related issue. Try factory-resetting the device.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

wow I just updated my SG2 and yup trying to get a hang on things ( as was on ICS for more than a yr on my baby S2) and thanks Sam for the info on the task manager !

its cool and am discovering more of the phone now

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Just a little comment regarding Jelly Bean

4.1: System operations are quicker thanks to code from Project Butter

4.2: More built-in features are included

4.3: A mixture of 4.1 and 4.2 with SELinux thrown into the fray.

(....and yes, the T-MO SGSII can run 4.3)

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]

I am sorry but I have to say I'm TOTALLY regretting upgrading to Jellybean. Smooth homescreen transitions and some other minor improvements aside (I like the brightness slider in the notification bar) I'm having MASSIVE battery problems with my S2. Have run it for over a year on ICS with no major issues. Since updating to JB 4.1.2 I'm having real problems with the MediaScanner Service Wakelock. I've been all over the web looking for solutions. Have downloaded various apps to try and fix the problem. I've re formatted the external SD card (16gb). I've deleted all the images from the SD card. I've deleted all the data from Media Storage in the App manager.

I'm not rooted. I don't want to root. I'm considering a factory reset, but even that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem for others.
    Whats worse is that people have been having this problem for about a year judging by the posts on the various forums. I'm seriously not happy (to put it politely) that Google seems to have not bothered to address this problem at all for a year. I just want ICS back, but guess I'd have to root my phone for that (which I don't wanna do).

Apps I've tried so far.. 'Rescan Media' plus several other media scanning apps to stop auto start of Media Scanner . SCS Toolbox to search for and delete any corrupted data from the SD card. SD card tester to check funtionality of the SD card.

Seriously people can ANYBODY help?!?! I've ordered a new battery and a new class ten SD card, but in the meantime I'm open to any suggestions.
    Love my S2, and just want it back!!!

Oh I also think that the gallery in ICS was much more asthetically pleasing. In JB it's ugly and looks dated.

But mainly the battery life sucks!

LadyDI and Others,

There is a program in the android play place for download that is called Jelly Bean Launcher Loader and it makes your os on reboot of the phoner not ask you for your launcher preference if you added a second launcher and wanna use it...

I have honestly tried it myself and it works beautifully only problem is if you wanna change launchers you need to uninstall the Jelly Bean Launcher Loader and reinstall it after you change launchers to anything but the built in launcher that came with your phone...

and dop make the reinstallation at any time much easier of the Jelly Bean Launcher Loader grab a app called app backup and restore which is also free from the android play place and set it up in settings to backup any newly installed apps and if you ever need to reinstall a app on your phone just uninstall the needed app then run app backup and restore then on the restore tab find the app to restore then click it and on botton of screen click restore...

hope this helps you and everyone else out there...

Sam Presley

[email address removed]
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 09-15-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfo View Post
    I am sorry but I have to say I'm TOTALLY regretting upgrading to Jellybean. Smooth homescreen transitions and some other minor improvements aside (I like the brightness slider in the notification bar) I'm having MASSIVE battery problems with my S2. Have run it for over a year on ICS with no major issues. Since updating to JB 4.1.2 I'm having real problems with the MediaScanner Service Wakelock. I've been all over the web looking for solutions. Have downloaded various apps to try and fix the problem. I've re formatted the external SD card (16gb). I've deleted all the images from the SD card. I've deleted all the data from Media Storage in the App manager.

I'm not rooted. I don't want to root. I'm considering a factory reset, but even that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem for others.
    Whats worse is that people have been having this problem for about a year judging by the posts on the various forums. I'm seriously not happy (to put it politely) that Google seems to have not bothered to address this problem at all for a year. I just want ICS back, but guess I'd have to root my phone for that (which I don't wanna do).

Apps I've tried so far.. 'Rescan Media' plus several other media scanning apps to stop auto start of Media Scanner . SCS Toolbox to search for and delete any corrupted data from the SD card. SD card tester to check funtionality of the SD card.

Seriously people can ANYBODY help?!?! I've ordered a new battery and a new class ten SD card, but in the meantime I'm open to any suggestions.
    Love my S2, and just want it back!!!
    Sadly, battery life on JB for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII is going to be a bit shorter since Project Butter uses more resources to achieve its job. Also, you may want to give the phone a break before battery life goes back to normal as the handset takes a while for it to get used to the new code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12