Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    I had my phone on for little bit over 1 hour and my battery is at 73... what the heck! What is a "Media" app!? It's sucking my battey fast.. what's this!! Can anyone help me?!

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB-uploadfromtaptalk1367868576529.jpg  
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Give it a little more time and see how things go. Do you have a lot of songs or videos on the phone? When Android boots up, and will scan the card for media files and build an index of them, create thumbnails for the gallery, etc. This takes a long time, and lot of cpu, the first time, but not very much after that. Media also gets the credit for any downloads you do, so if you've been downloading apps, they'll show up there, too.

    If after the first day, and a recharge cycle, media is still using most of your battery, that's indicative of a problem.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  3. #3  
    HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Media shouldn't really be using most battery life, but since this is apparent in your case, you may want to hunt down any media files with obscure file extensions, as they may be the cause for Media's constant scanning of your device, draining your device's power supply.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX
  4. #4  
    monepone's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    ROM
    Quattrimus

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Install Qualcomm's BatteryGuru from the play store if you haven't already. It will analyze your phone usage for a couple of days and greatly improve your battery life. It has significantly improved battery life on my t989 since upgrading to jellybean.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  
    HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    The app you've mentioned helped a lot with battery life, despite it being in beta.

    Just a question but how much extra battery life did you receive in hours after using the application?
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Quote Originally Posted by monepone View Post
    Install Qualcomm's BatteryGuru from the play store if you haven't already. It will analyze your phone usage for a couple of days and greatly improve your battery life. It has significantly improved battery life on my t989 since upgrading to jellybean.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    I installed the app but still in learning mode. 22 hours left. I will let you know guys if it helped or not

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    monepone's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    ROM
    Quattrimus

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Quote Originally Posted by HNNNNNGHHH View Post

    Just a question but how much extra battery life did you receive in hours after using the application?
    It's not quit as good of battery life as stock ICS was for me, but it's much closer than it was before installing BatteryGuru. I'd estimate it at about 85-90% of the battery life I had before upgrading to jellybean.

    BTW, I did have to go through learning mode twice because my schedule was not quite normal during the first learning period, so I wanted to make sure it got a good snapshot of what my regular phone habits were in terms of wifi/4G usage and battery charging. I'd recommend you do your learning mode during your work week, rather than on your days off, where your routine might vary.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  
    HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Quote Originally Posted by monepone View Post
    It's not quit as good of battery life as stock ICS was for me, but it's much closer than it was before installing BatteryGuru. I'd estimate it at about 85-90% of the battery life I had before upgrading to jellybean.

    BTW, I did have to go through learning mode twice because my schedule was not quite normal during the first learning period, so I wanted to make sure it got a good snapshot of what my regular phone habits were in terms of wifi/4G usage and battery charging. I'd recommend you do your learning mode during your work week, rather than on your days off, where your routine might vary.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    Hmm, that might be a problem, as my daily schedule involving my phone varies greatly: one day I might barely use it except for calls and a few texts in between and another day I might go all out and play some games, browse the internet, turn on mobile hotspot, beam several items to friends with other NFC-equipped devices, etc. (Basically any kind of activity on a smartphone that will pretty much drain the battery quickly.) Good thing I always tend to bring my charger (cigarette, plug outlet, etc) and my two spare batteries.

    Despite all that, I'll hope for the best.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    I was thinking about upgrading to JB from GB. Do you think I should get and run this app with GB and then upgrade to JB and run again to see the difference, or should I just go ahead and upgrade first? I was planning on doing the upgrade in the next hour or 2, so I would love to figure this out soon. Thanks!
  10. #10  
    HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    You can just upgrade, but be wary that you will likely need to factory reset the phone if battery life is NOT what you expected it to be. (Considering the huge leap between GB and JB, I suggest you back up your information first then update.)
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Thanks for your responses! I had already planned on doing a factory reset if I upgraded, since I have noticed that is the first thing anyone recommends to do if having any kind of issues with the device afterwards (and that it has solved many issues with poor battery life). I have backed up my SMS and Call Logs though there isn't anything that I would miss if they totally disappeared. I moved all my pics off my phone and deleted some other stuff that I didn't need anymore. I have my contacts backed up 3 different ways (through T-Mobile, Lookout, and Google) and those are the only things I really care about losing. Hell, even if I did lose some of them, I could always get the important ones back. I have prepared myself for possibly losing some features, though some I think were not from GB but only ICS and so I never had them anyways. I think I will attempt to upgrade after this work week (since I NEED my phone for work and some interviews). I just need to get past my stupid paranoia that something will go wrong, haha.
  12. #12  
    HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy Vine View Post
    Thanks for your responses! I had already planned on doing a factory reset if I upgraded, since I have noticed that is the first thing anyone recommends to do if having any kind of issues with the device afterwards (and that it has solved many issues with poor battery life). I have backed up my SMS and Call Logs though there isn't anything that I would miss if they totally disappeared. I moved all my pics off my phone and deleted some other stuff that I didn't need anymore. I have my contacts backed up 3 different ways (through T-Mobile, Lookout, and Google) and those are the only things I really care about losing. Hell, even if I did lose some of them, I could always get the important ones back. I have prepared myself for possibly losing some features, though some I think were not from GB but only ICS and so I never had them anyways. I think I will attempt to upgrade after this work week (since I NEED my phone for work and some interviews). I just need to get past my stupid paranoia that something will go wrong, haha.
    That paranoia is pretty common with most who do firmware updates, even more so who install unofficial custom firmware. If something DOES go wrong, you can always roll back to an earlier version afterwards.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    Unfortunately, having a Mac (and therefore not being able to use Odin), I cannot easily revert back to an earlier firmware release. I think that is why I am so paranoid. I wouldn't have as much of a problem if I could. I have updated firmware on many different devices that weren't so dependent on what OS I used on my computer (for routers, NAS, even doing tweaks to an upconverting DVD player). But with my phone, something that I need to be working right and not able to just go back an hour later (if needed) and install an older firmware version, that makes me antsy. LOL
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Horrible Battery life, GS2 JB

    My battery life improved a lot after installing battery guru!!! thank the lord!!!

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. 2.2 = Horrible battery life
    By OB1J3D1 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
  2. Horrible battery life after latest facebook update?
    By smccloud in forum LG Optimus S
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 08:09 PM
  3. Horrible battery life lately
    By Jerry-O in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
  4. Strangely horrible battery life while on standby?
    By SR4 in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
  5. Suddenly, horrible battery life
    By fecurtis in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

B