1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Firmware "RE"upgrade help!

Recently I upgraded my S2 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 by Kies which is the latest T-Mobile update. Usually I am up to date with updates like this, but being new to the Android world, I only found out about the update a few weeks ago. Now I'm starting to see some issues. Aside from what I saw the was the screen capture which doesn't work while holding the Power and Home button, my phone has been lagging. All my apps, including text messages, camera, web browser and other, would have a 3-5sec delay in response. I would click on an app, and they would not open up right away. It looks like the phone which was once fast is slow now. So I am thinking maybe it will help to do a factory reset, and reinstall Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Kies. I was looking over the Kies application on my computer, I can not find an option that will allow me to reinstall the OS. Can anyone here help me with this process and direct me to the message board with the information? I am new to this site, so still trying to find my way around. THANKS!

Global Posts
    5,579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Firmware "RE"upgrade help!

Quote Originally Posted by ImOohTooNice View Post
    Recently I upgraded my S2 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 by Kies which is the latest T-Mobile update. Usually I am up to date with updates like this, but being new to the Android world, I only found out about the update a few weeks ago. Now I'm starting to see some issues. Aside from what I saw the was the screen capture which doesn't work while holding the Power and Home button, my phone has been lagging. All my apps, including text messages, camera, web browser and other, would have a 3-5sec delay in response. I would click on an app, and they would not open up right away. It looks like the phone which was once fast is slow now. So I am thinking maybe it will help to do a factory reset, and reinstall Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Kies. I was looking over the Kies application on my computer, I can not find an option that will allow me to reinstall the OS. Can anyone here help me with this process and direct me to the message board with the information? I am new to this site, so still trying to find my way around. THANKS!
    Welcome to Android Central
    If you have already updated to 4.1.2, a factory reset will not roll back the firmware. So it will still be on 4.1.2, no need to reinstall via Kies
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    If you have already updated to 4.1.2, a factory reset will not roll back the firmware. So it will still be on 4.1.2, no need to reinstall via Kies
    My concern is will the factory reset solve the issue? As I am thinking the firmware wasn't installed correctly.

Global Posts
    5,579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by ImOohTooNice View Post
    My concern is will the factory reset solve the issue? As I am thinking the firmware wasn't installed correctly.
    It could, I read over on the GS4 4.3 thread that they were having lagging issues as well, and someone recommended a factory reset. It won't hurt to try, just backup your contacs and pics/vids and try it.

ROM
    Quattrimus

I finally got tired of the performance & battery issues with stock jellybean on the t989 and decided to root and try some ROMs. I recommend trying JediMindTricksv7 which is based on the stock ROM and is touchwiz based, or if you want a 4.3 based ROM closer to stock android, RevoltJB is fast, stable good on battery and has lots of options. After you root your phone, these ROMs can both be installed via TWRP/Goo Manager which makes them a breeze to install and update.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    5,579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I also recommend SlimBean ROM