Installing multiple roms and restoring question

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently joined the rooting world after realizing neither Samsung/TMO/android were going to solve my bluetooth issue with an update and have some questions that I can't seem to find clear enough answers about:

1. I have my original TMO stock backed up with CWMD to my phone's drive, is there a way I can shift to either my SD card or back it up to my PC to free up space? or do I have to restore it then reback it up to SD to shift it out?

2. When installing a new rom, I have to wipe the phone first before installing a new rom?

3. When I backup a rom, does it save the apps and all system data (ie settings, ringtones etc) or do I constantly have to reset those when I return to an existing rom?

4. My understanding is that using Titanium or Mybackup to backup apps so I can shift them into the new rom otherwise my phone will have to go through the process of restoring via google play?

I've been using Liquid Smooth 2.1 stable and want to give AOKP or CYN a try but don't want to have to restore everything from scratch after flashing a new rom and then restoring all that back if I don't like it.

Thanks for the help

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
1. I have my original TMO stock backed up with CWMD to my phone's drive, is there a way I can shift to either my SD card or back it up to my PC to free up space? or do I have to restore it then reback it up to SD to shift it out?
Yes you can take your Nandroid Backup located under ClockWorkMod/backups/ and place it on your computer for safe keeping to free up space and put it back in the event something goes wrong and you need to restore back.

2. When installing a new rom, I have to wipe the phone first before installing a new rom?
Yes this is the proper practice for flashing a ROM. From within CWM, select Factory Reset/Data Wipe and then install your new ROM. ** Don't forget to make your backup first ;)

3. When I backup a rom, does it save the apps and all system data (ie settings, ringtones etc) or do I constantly have to reset those when I return to an existing rom?
When making a Nandroid backup its an EXACT image of your entire device at that moment in time. OS/kernel/apps/data/settings/text msgs, etc..

4. My understanding is that using Titanium or Mybackup to backup apps so I can shift them into the new rom otherwise my phone will have to go through the process of restoring via google play?
Yes both are excellent when jumping between ROMs. After you install a fresh ROM you reinstall Titanium or MyBackup Root and it will find your old folder on your device with the backups and you can restore your apps/data. Great for saving those important Angry Bird achievements ;)

I've been using Liquid Smooth 2.1 stable and want to give AOKP or CYN a try but don't want to have to restore everything from scratch after flashing a new rom and then restoring all that back if I don't like it.
Again you make a Nandroid backup in CWM, now and then wipe and flash the new ROM. If you find you don't like it or whatever you can just reboot into CWM and restore your previous backup to return to that moment in time with everything in place.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Paul627g,

Thanks for all the help. I actually flashed Cyanogen last night and quickly got rid of it. Liquid Smooth seems to be more up my alley. One last question, if you don't mind, how do I know what gapps to flash with the rom? or are they all compatible. Was looking at goo.im and they don't really tell you if any of them are for certain builds beyond cyanogens.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Yes both are excellent when jumping between ROMs. After you install a fresh ROM you reinstall Titanium or MyBackup Root and it will find your old folder on your device with the backups and you can restore your apps/data. Great for saving those important Angry Bird achievements ;)

While this is true, it may also cause problems if you're switching between significantly different ROMS. I would not recommend, for example, restoring apps from TiBu if you've moved from a 4.1 ROM to a 4.2 one. There are significant differences in internal folder and file structures that could get you in trouble. There may be issues using TiBu to restore apps when moving between ASOP and TW-based ROMs, too, although not as severe.

In those cases, I'd recommend reinstalling the apps from the Play store, and then using TiBu only to restore the data associated with those apps. A pain, yes, but better than having an unstable device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech