New Galaxy S3, keeps going to 2g (Edge)

anteck7

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
New to T-Mobile and Galaxy, so far love the phone (not all jacked like the verizon version).

I keep loosing 4g data, ill have three bars, then 2 then 1, then none. then it will swap to edge, and ill get a solid 3 or 4 bars edge.

It will stay that way until I make a phone call, or restart the phone. After making a call or restarting the phone, ill have 3 bars of 4g, for 2 to 3 minutes before the cycle repeats and im back on edge data.

This is happening at multiple locations, anyone have any ideas?

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Its because T-Mobile is one of the worst companies out their. Boost mobile and metro pcs is better than T-Mobile in my area. They are good if you are in one of the 10 city's that they actually cover decently. I would go to att or Verizon. They Rock pretty much everywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup mine doing the same thing. I heard the S3 International worked on all 3G and 4G networks. The Edge or Echo as the T-Mo calls it is slower than 2G. This a lot of phone to be using that kind of network speed. I'm hoping too that there's a solution other than changing carriers, then's what the point in having this phone??? I got the International model because I don't want the Cell Carriers to own me. I'm going to give the phone a chance and see just what's so good about the Android based cell phones. But I need help on getting this cell online with the 3G and 4G networks.

peppermintman

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Got to let all know that I got an email from Samsung UK. They are the ones that are the tech reps for Samsung. They want to hear from everyone haveing the same problem with T-Mobile Vs 3G & 4G problems so you all need to send them an email with the information they ask for. I was a lot but I did it drinking a few beers so it wasn't so bad.

Send em an email sounds like they don't know about it yet.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Got to let all know that I got an email from Samsung UK. They are the ones that are the tech reps for Samsung. They want to hear from everyone haveing the same problem with T-Mobile Vs 3G & 4G problems so you all need to send them an email with the information they ask for. I was a lot but I did it drinking a few beers so it wasn't so bad.

Send em an email sounds like they don't know about it yet.

WTF??

As was previously stated, if you're using the international device then that's the problem. It's not a pentaband phone.

anteck7

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Update with video (not the best quality)

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq-b43GhYsg&feature=g-upl[/YT]

Looks like its based on how you hold the phone.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Update with video (not the best quality)

Looks like its based on how you hold the phone.

Thanks for the video. This is exactly what's happening to mine. I called T-Mobile and the tech told me a few people had called about the issue. The question is,why is T-Mobile different from other carriers? Low signal strength is killing my battery. At times I have seen my phone has been without signal for 45% of the time since last full-charge.

glocky79

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is crazy but mine does the same thing in my left hand. I know that defies common logic but its true. If anyone finds out more about this issue, please share with us.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine will not switch to that (wcdma).. It only stays on auto?
Edit: I had to turn off wifi now that option works.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok, this is crazy but mine does the same thing in my left hand. I know that defies common logic but its true. If anyone finds out more about this issue, please share with us.

Check YouTube for this issue... there seems to be a antennae located on the bottom portion of the left side of the phone... if you cover it up, you can watch the signal drop. It's like the iPhone4 antennae-gate issue all over again. This is my second GS3 and it does it just like my first one.

dominicag2000

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
With the SGH-T999 In touchwiz I just switch it from Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Network mode > WCDMA only. I've never seen it go to EDGE that way. It stays on HSPA when it would otherwise go back and forth from EDGE to HSPA in low reception areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC