64GB MicroSD Card Issues Samsung Galaxy SIII S3

kwilsonjr

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
From the TMO website "Up to 64 GB Expandable Memory" TMO

So we know officially the S3 supports 64GB cards. With that out of the way i can tell you mine has some quirks. It recognizes the card, sees the capacity, and writes to it with no issues.

HOWEVER, on the device and in explorer it doesn't show all the data. For instance all my music albums stop at the letter 'J' - I am not able to create new folders from the phone or with explorer while tethered.

It does not see it all the data in Kies either. Air or tethered. In fact Kies locks up with spinning timer in the Photo and Music boxes. But if you take out the card and plug it into a card reader it sees everything fine and you can add and delete folders.

It is a SanDisk Ultra class 10 ($64 on Amazon - Prime eligible) I'm stumped.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
That's strange.

I hope a resolution is found because I plan on getting the t mobile version of this phone

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Just tossing this one in the air (and I have the Rogers = AT&T SGH-747), The book clearly states up to 64GB SDHC yet SDHC stops at 32GB your card is SDXC, so you might have to format the card from EXfat to fat 32. I am waiting on a 64GB card myself. So curious to see the outcome.

dbDEEdb

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I am going through the same thing myself. I have tried alot of different things, but my current working solution until a true solution is found, is I inserted the 64gb card in the s3, formatted it, and then transferred all my files over (via usb cable) and like everyone else, everything shows on the phone through "my files". My Win 7 computer (explorer) only shows SOME of the files that exist on my S3, so what I have been doing is if I want to delete files, I remove the card from the S3 and use a usb card reader for deleting, but when adding files, I transfer directly to my S3 (card installed of course) through my usb cable. I really do hope they come with an update or answer to correct this problem. I left Blackberry for Android, and I love my S3, so far this is the only thing (besides the occasional wifi drop) that has shown itself to be an issue.

Doug in Calgary

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got a SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 64 GB Class 10. I formated the card from the phone (not sure if if it is FAT32 or exFAT). The only issue I've noted to date is that of the 10,333 M4A music files I loaded on it, not all scan from a Android music apps. I've tried the stock Samsung music app, Winamp, DoubleTwist and Poweramp all with similar results. The first time i scanned from Poweramp, 10,028 songs registered. Of the songs missing, I manually navigted the card from Windows Explorer and all were there. I rescanned from Poweramp and this time 9,997 songs registered. The third attempt at a rescan registered 10,019 songs. I tried reformating the card and reloading all the songs again with similar results. Is this some sort of design marginality with how the phone interfaces with the card?

Doug in Calgary

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
FAT32 solved the problem. I had to remove the card and format from a Win7 PC using a third party utility as Windows would only provide options for NTFS and exFAT.

This is a strange issue as exFAT is a far more robust file system than FAT32.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I just got the 64gig Sandisk SDXC and formatted the card to FAT32. Windows 7 sees the card fine and I was able to transfer music to the card. When I install the card in my Galaxy S3 and select settings it does not allow me to mount the card. I see an icon in the top left that looks like a SD with an exclamation point over it. I reboot the phone and I get MTP has stopped, Internet has stopped, Android.Process.Media has stopped. These messages repeat a couple of times and then the phone seems to be ok If I go into settings, media then settings blanks out and comes back with settings has stopped.

The phone is not rooted. It's running 4.0.4.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was having similar issues. I decided to reset the phone then formatted the card using GS3. I then connected the phone to PC and created a folder for music. I copied all my music and they all seem to be showing up. In fact as a bonus resetting the phone helped the Music Square to function.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
First place, why are you formatting the card to a Fat32 when the SIII supports exFat which is much better/newer format? The safest thing to do is to format the microsd card through the phone. That way the card is formatted the way the phone likes it.

.:edit:.

nevermind. After a short research it seems Samsung removed exFat support for i9300 devices, so maybe they did for T-Mobile S3's also

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Just received my ScanDisk Ultra SDXC 64 GB Monday. Formated in phone. No problems adding files or folders. Took out of phone and put in card reader on PC and it is formated as exFat. Mine is a T-Mobile S3.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Just received my ScanDisk Ultra SDXC 64 GB Monday. Formated in phone. No problems adding files or folders. Took out of phone and put in card reader on PC and it is formated as exFat. Mine is a T-Mobile S3.

Nice, then maybe they didn't remove exFat for the T-Mobile version

joncy88

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint GS3 and formatted my SanDisk Ultra 64GB XC I in my phone. I can copy files to it and see them, etc.

However, every time I reboot my phone or shutdown/switch batteries, the card is blank again. I am guessing it is just a bad card, or has anyone else seen this and know of a fix?

thefattexan

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
your problem is that you are using a class 10 card. mobile devices are only compatible with class 4 and below. you need to buy a micro sd 64 gb that is class 4 and under. the class 6 and up are ment only for digital cameras and computers.

---------- Post Merged at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 AM ----------

your problem is that you are using a class 10 card. mobile devices are only compatible with class 4 and below. you need to buy a micro sd 64 gb that is class 4 and under. the class 6 and up are ment only for digital cameras and computers.

---------- Post Merged at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 AM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 AM ----------

the problem is that if you are using a class 10 card, mobile devices are only compatible with class 4 and below. you need to buy a micro sd 64 gb that is class 4 and under. the class 6 and up are meant only for digital cameras and computers. :D:D:D:D

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: 64GB MicroSD Card Issues Samsung Galaxy S3 S3

Balderdash. It has nothing to do with class 4 or class 10.

You have to format the card FAT32 *in the phone.* Then you'll be good to go.

Been running this card in my HTC Rezound for two months or longer now.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Don't know if it is because it is class 10 or not, and to be honest that does not make sense to me. That is just the theoretical speed the card is capable of. But I do not know. I do know that I formatted my class 6 64GB card FAT32 in my computer and it works great in my SIII, So I do not think it is because they are not formatting it in the phone. Fat32 is a very specific standard, and as such it should not matter what you use to format it. XFAT however is another kettle of fish, and has issues about standards.

exFAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An just maybe the SIII is not meeting all the criteria for FAT32 exactly to the letter?

Just glad it seams to work fine for me, but I got a feeling 64GB will be the limit.

jntjnt

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

exFAT is fully supported by T-Mobile's GS3. I just formatted a brand new Sandisk 64GB Class 10 microSDXC Ultra 1 on a T-Mobile GS3 and it is definitely exFAT. Win8 Pro reports it as an exFAT formatted drive and reads and writes to it successfully -- though writing is dog slow, I mean genuinely woof, woof slow. Not impressed at all with the write performance. Reading is steady and consistent at 20 MB/sec which is 10 MB/s slower than what Sandisk claims for this microSDXC card. But writes fluctuate dramatically between 14 MB/s and 0 MB/s with an average of about 4 MB/s. And no, I am not exaggerating when I say that copying slows down to 0 MB/s and then goes back up to about 14 MB/s. The progress bar graph looks like a mountain range in profile. By the way, Windows 8 Pro will let me format the card as FAT32 but it forces the size to be half (around 27 GB). Don't know if this issue is limited to this particular 64 GB microSDXC Ultra 1 card or if other brands have 1/2 the FAT32 space in formatting for FAT32. I am on this site looking for hints at solving the write performance problems.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

exFAT is fully supported by T-Mobile's GS3. I just formatted a brand new Sandisk 64GB Class 10 microSDXC Ultra 1 on a T-Mobile GS3 and it is definitely exFAT. Win8 Pro reports it as an exFAT formatted drive and reads and writes to it successfully -- though writing is dog slow, I mean genuinely woof, woof slow. Not impressed at all with the write performance. Reading is steady and consistent at 20 MB/sec which is 10 MB/s slower than what Sandisk claims for this microSDXC card. But writes fluctuate dramatically between 14 MB/s and 0 MB/s with an average of about 4 MB/s. And no, I am not exaggerating when I say that copying slows down to 0 MB/s and then goes back up to about 14 MB/s. The progress bar graph looks like a mountain range in profile. By the way, Windows 8 Pro will let me format the card as FAT32 but it forces the size to be half (around 27 GB). Don't know if this issue is limited to this particular 64 GB microSDXC Ultra 1 card or if other brands have 1/2 the FAT32 space in formatting for FAT32. I am on this site looking for hints at solving the write performance problems.

Strange those things you mention, like write speed and memory size. They sound just like issues that can occur with a fake card that is actually smaller and forced to show larger. Where did you purchase it? An no card do not show half the memory when going from exfat to fat32 IE: my sandisk reports identical size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis