Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their gs3?

    I love the size of the keyboard, even though it's only 3/10th of an inch bigger than my last phone, typing in portrait is so much better it seems. I used to never use the portrait keyboard on my phones but this one I'm really liking. I think its just the right size keyboard for me. The one issue I have with it sometimes though, only with typing certain words, is the stock auto correct functionality. For some words I use a lot it doesn't recognize them or something, even though they're in the added words section, so it can sometimes be a pain having to go back several times just to get a word spelled correctly. What do you guys think are some good 3rd party keyboard apps to try?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    The cootek touchpal keyboard is really nice, especially the swipe up and downtown functions for uppercase and symbols, respectively. And tap and swipe backspace to delete entire words.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    not crazy about the fact that I can't use NFC with my screen locked. I have a boombotix that I listen to when I commute on my bike- I programmed a tag to advance the track in case a song comes up that I don't feel like listening to. I was hoping I'd be able to do this without having to stop, open the pocket on my back pack and getting the phone out. I just wanted to attach the tag to my keys and tap the pocket on my bag. It works if the screen is not locked but doesn't when it is.
    The work around I've come up with so far is to program tasker to advance the song whenever it detects the boombotix making the BT link. So now I have to turn the speaker off, then back on in order to advance the track. Not the best solution.

    Hoping to find a ROM that won't disable NFC when the screen is locked. Slightly insecure but considering I use the speaker pretty much every day I'd say it's worth it.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    Quote Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
    not crazy about the fact that I can't use NFC with my screen locked. I have a boombotix that I listen to when I commute on my bike- I programmed a tag to advance the track in case a song comes up that I don't feel like listening to. I was hoping I'd be able to do this without having to stop, open the pocket on my back pack and getting the phone out. I just wanted to attach the tag to my keys and tap the pocket on my bag. It works if the screen is not locked but doesn't when it is.
    The work around I've come up with so far is to program tasker to advance the song whenever it detects the boombotix making the BT link. So now I have to turn the speaker off, then back on in order to advance the track. Not the best solution.

    Hoping to find a ROM that won't disable NFC when the screen is locked. Slightly insecure but considering I use the speaker pretty much every day I'd say it's worth it.
    Now don't quote me, I'm not too familiar, but there are security issues of leaving nfc on. And then the issue of battery drain of having them constantly on. You can always try a Jawbone Jambox or Big Jambox. They have built in options to skip. songs. Have you tried holding the volume up button for a certain amount of time to skip a song? I know a lot of phones do that..
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    Quote Originally Posted by gordonzhao View Post
    Jawbone Jambox or Big Jambox. They have built in options to skip. songs. Have you tried holding the volume up button for a certain amount of time to skip a song? I know a lot of phones do that..
    yea, tried the volume thing. no go.

    I already spent $60 on the boombotix and honestly I'm liking the form factor over the jawbone speakers. boombotix is smaller than the jambox, fits on my shoulder strap better.

    As far as the security of an open NFC is concerned- I'm not really worried about it. The tags need to be practically touching the phone and I don't really think many hackers would be working on NFC hacks for a super limited group of specialty ROM flashers. Last I heard it was something like 10% of people on android flashed ROMS? If you figure half (generous assumption) of those would want to have NFC running all the time that would not account for many 'targets'.

    This ROM looks promising. FreeGS3

    It mentions the NFC hack which was posted here. There are a few replies and one specifically states he noticed no impact to battery life. Which kind of makes sense since the NFC radio is already pretty weak in comparison to wifi, BT and cell radios.

    I'll do a bit more reading and let y'all know if I flash it and how it goes.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
    yea, tried the volume thing. no go.

    I already spent $60 on the boombotix and honestly I'm liking the form factor over the jawbone speakers. boombotix is smaller than the jambox, fits on my shoulder strap better.

    As far as the security of an open NFC is concerned- I'm not really worried about it. The tags need to be practically touching the phone and I don't really think many hackers would be working on NFC hacks for a super limited group of specialty ROM flashers. Last I heard it was something like 10% of people on android flashed ROMS? If you figure half (generous assumption) of those would want to have NFC running all the time that would not account for many 'targets'.

    This ROM looks promising. FreeGS3

    It mentions the NFC hack which was posted here. There are a few replies and one specifically states he noticed no impact to battery life. Which kind of makes sense since the NFC radio is already pretty weak in comparison to wifi, BT and cell radios.

    I'll do a bit more reading and let y'all know if I flash it and how it goes.
    Great. But the small jambox is small enough to fit on a shoulder strap. But pricey so I understand. Let me know how it goes.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. #7  

    Default

    Holy moley!
    Three days with this thing and you all better be nice to me because my lifelong goal of absolute world domination will soon be reality.

    Rooted SGH-T999
  8. #8  

    Default

    Battery life I had the one s for a short time and it would last at least 16 hours this phone struggles to get past 7 hours with minimal settings and lastly cell standby I've owned several phones and then this one just eats battery with cell standby at least 14% then up from there.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    Quote Originally Posted by Horr1bleK1tten View Post
    Battery life I had the one s for a short time and it would last at least 16 hours this phone struggles to get past 7 hours with minimal settings and lastly cell standby I've owned several phones and then this one just eats battery with cell standby at least 14% then up from there.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry to hear you're getting crappy battery life.Everything I've read regarding cell standby indicates the percentage reported is not accurate and shouldn't be counted on.

    I'm getting amazing battery life- as long as all the extra radios are turned off. I unplugged last night before going to bed around 11pm. At 8am this morning I had 98%. Power save is active, all the radios turned off (except cell) screen locked.

    It's possible you got a crap battery ... I'd call and see if you can get a replacement. Keep complaining- they'll do something about it if they see you calling all the time.
  10. #10  

    Default

    All I have is wifi on and that only at home half the time it's dying

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    Quote Originally Posted by Horr1bleK1tten View Post
    All I have is wifi on and that only at home half the time it's dying

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I left mine on with wifi all night last night just to see- this is what I've got this morning


    I think you've got yourself a bum battery!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
    I left mine on with wifi all night last night just to see- this is what I've got this morning
    Click to view quoted image


    I think you've got yourself a bum battery!
    I agree, think they have a defective battery or something, because I get really good battery life with moderate to heavy usage. Usually if I'm using my phone a lot, a lot of web, gaming throughout the day, I'll get like 12 to 14 hours. Though I've been using chrome recently and noticed its been draining my battery alottt.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intoaction66 View Post
    I agree, think they have a defective battery or something, because I get really good battery life with moderate to heavy usage. Usually if I'm using my phone a lot, a lot of web, gaming throughout the day, I'll get like 12 to 14 hours. Though I've been using chrome recently and noticed its been draining my battery alottt.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    This is what I get is there something wrong with my battery this is moderate use with brightness at 50

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default

    And Idk if this helps but here it is someone help my battery life is ugly

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horr1bleK1tten View Post
    And Idk if this helps but here it is someone help my battery life is ugly

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Try useing the power saving on the phone. Turn of gps and bluetooth when not in use. Use the auto bright for the screen. And try useing a darker color background, amold screens use less when they are showing dark colors

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Djedgarftw View Post
    Try useing the power saving on the phone. Turn of gps and bluetooth when not in use. Use the auto bright for the screen. And try useing a darker color background, amold screens use less when they are showing dark colors

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    I tried power saving mode and then the helps a little. I don't use gps or blue tooth so they're always off brightness at 50 I thought auto brightness uses more battery cause it uses sensors n stuff

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default

    And this is my wallpaper no widgets other then the flashlight or other pages

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horr1bleK1tten View Post
    And this is my wallpaper no widgets other then the flashlight or other pages

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Make sure you dont have alot of background proccess and close the app in the task manager. Also do you have a screen shoot of one were it just discharging and you didnt connect it to the power?

    Sent from my Super Screen Galaxy Note using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    I like the menu button, I don't like how I can't copy chats from google talk. I don't know if that's a phone feature or an app feature, but I think it's lame.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    I don't like how the 4G toggle works. I wish it was in the notification toggle area like bluetooth and wifi etc.
    Going to data settings and flipping the on/off (& confirm) is too many steps.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horr1bleK1tten View Post
    And Idk if this helps but here it is someone help my battery life is ugly

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

    Yeah man you have Wi-Fi on all day that's gotta be contributing...if you usually don't then I would suggest backing up then wiping your phone and see if you're battery life is any better with only a few apps installed that you really need. It could be a rogue app that's draining your battery too. ...Just on a side note though with Wi-Fi on all day that's not too bad over 9 hours with almost a fifth of the battery left still.. but yeah when you're not gonna be using your phone for a while try switching into power saving mode too, that and turning off 4g when you're not using it isn't a bad idea either.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
    I don't like how the 4G toggle works. I wish it was in the notification toggle area like bluetooth and wifi etc.
    Going to data settings and flipping the on/off (& confirm) is too many steps.
    I really don't like that there's no built in option to use only 2g networks instead of 4g

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intoaction66 View Post
    I really don't like that there's no built in option to use only 2g networks instead of 4g

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    You can install another ROM which would give you the function to do so.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  24. #24  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    For people having battery issues you might want to take a look at this thread.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ry-issues.html

    (even though it was the sII mentioned the same applies with the sIII).

    You have to make some tweaks to the phone to get optimal battery life. Including turning off wi-fi if it's not being used (drains the battery), limiting background processes that seem to run by default, closing apps when you're not using them and making use of power saving mode options as well as understanding what drains the battery I am getting much better battery life than I was getting and it wasn't that bad. I would also suggest getting Juice Defender - it really does help you manage your battery and get more from it as well as help pinpoint what's causing battery drain. I think you may find it's not defective batteries at all, more likely how your phone is currently set up.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

    Another battery saver is to disable S-Voice. If you use it, have it as an icon on your homescreen. Juice Defender is a must have for prolonging battery life, as well. I also have a brightness toggle widget on my homescreen. I can select 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% brightness with the tap of a button. Very handy.

    This is by far the best phone I've ever had.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions