2 "Age Old" Questions I see posted...but I'm confused on Apps

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Apps and Live Wallpaper

1. I hear, and would assume that apps moved to the sd card would free up phone storage, thus making the phone move faster...correct?
HOWEVER, did I read correct that you cannot do that on the GS3. Either manually or with any app like App2Sd...(is that even the right app?)

with regards to that. I upgraded to the 32gb from the 16gb today. Two observations when running tests

1. HSPA+ is nice in the Bmore/DC Mid-Atlantic Region. I typically get 8-12 mb download / only 1-2 upload tho. that isn't as important to me. (The GN only got 3-6, but still fast enough)

My roomies GN updated to Jellybean now got like 6-9mb. Would jellybean have increased the network speed. I didn't think so

And with my 32gb gs3, I am testing 13-15mb dl speedd. Again, the increase in storage wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

But, ironically, my speeds on Quadrant went to 33-3500. They were 4k-5k with the 16gb.
Is it true whatt my friend in Cali said (he helped me root old phones) ...that Quadrant , even tho mentioned in reviews, isn't optimized for ICS and beyond ???

2. Is there any way to get the old live wallpapers from the Galaxy S, Luminescence AND Magic Smoke

I would be grateful to answer 1, but even more grateful if anyone could find those Live WP that work on 2.3 and beyond

thanks
Eric

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
To the OP are you running a custom or stock rooted gs3.....if custom look into one with sy linking (i.e. paranoid android /liquid smooth /baked ) this will effectively forward all data to sdcard but leave the necessary file on internal to allow everything to work seamlessly. Also if rooted look into adjusting your heap and swappiness in prop.edit

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Apps and Live Wallpaper

1. I hear, and would assume that apps moved to the sd card would free up phone storage, thus making the phone move faster...correct?
HOWEVER, did I read correct that you cannot do that on the GS3. Either manually or with any app like App2Sd...(is that even the right app?)

No, moving apps to the SD card doesn't speed up the device. In fact, in some circumstances it might slow it down. There are two different kinds of memory in the phone. There's storage, of which the S3 has 16 GB or 32 GB. Think of this as equivalent to the hard disk on your PC. Then there's RAM, where executing programs actually run. The US versions of the S3 have 2 GB of RAM. When you move an app to SD, you're just moving it from storage to the SD card. It has no effect on RAM usage at all. Moving apps to SD was an important tool for being able to install more apps back in the day when phones had only 1 or 2 Gig of storage. With new phones coming with 8 to 32, (even 64 available on the Galaxy S4), it's not really very important any more. Unless, perhaps, you're a serious gamer, in which case even 32GB might be limiting.

Aside from that, even if moving apps to SD did free up RAM, it wouldn't really make your phone run faster. Empty RAM serves no purpose, and Android manages RAM very well. If an app needs more RAM, Android will shut down some app that hasn't been used in a while and make that RAM available to the app that needs more. The lag to do that might be measurable, but it's doubtful you'd notice it in normal use.

Oh, why did I say moving an app to SD could slow things down? Because, I believe, when you start an app that's on the SD card, the device first copied the code from SD to storage, then from storage to RAM. So you're waiting on two copy operations, rather than just one. You'd only notice this, I suspect, with a very large app, and only when the app is not already loaded in RAM.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh, why did I say moving an app to SD could slow things down? Because, I believe, when you start an app that's on the SD card, the device first copied the code from SD to storage, then from storage to RAM. So you're waiting on two copy operations, rather than just one. You'd only notice this, I suspect, with a very large app, and only when the app is not already loaded in RAM.

Also the microSD you are using is probably much slower than the flash memory or internal sd card.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon