FM Radio?

anamor77

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded Samsung Galaxy S III User guide and it states that it has FM RADIO. Yet I don't have it on my phone? Do other carrier's Samsung S III have them? Here is what I copied from the User Guide, I would love to have this on my phone!!! What is up with that?

FM Radio
Learn to listen to music and news on the FM radio. To listen
to the FM radio, you must connect a headset, which serves as
the radio antenna.
??Listen to the FM radio
1 Plug a headset into your device.
2 In the application list, select FM Radio.
The FM radio scans and saves available stations
automatically.
The first time you turn on the FM radio, it will start
automatic tuning.
3 Select a radio station.
4 Control the FM radio with the following keys:
Number Function
1 Record a song from the FM radio.
2 Turn on or off the FM radio.
3 Search for an available radio

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't know which carrier you're on, but I'm on Sprint; I dont have an FM radio on my GS3 either. From what i've researched, the US variants of this phone don't have the FM radio. Only the International version sports it. I don't know why, but some have speculated that it could have something to do with the radios needed for LTE and that because of those radios, perhaps there was no room for the FM radio. I dunno.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't know which carrier you're on, but I'm on Sprint; I dont have an FM radio on my GS3 either. From what i've researched, the US variants of this phone don't have the FM radio. Only the International version sports it. I don't know why, but some have speculated that it could have something to do with the radios needed for LTE and that because of those radios, perhaps there was no room for the FM radio. I dunno.

I guess we're out of luck then... I will give up the fm radio in order to have LTE....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
No FM radio for US versions, I've downloaded the official FM Radio APK but crashed really hard. Would have been nice but your better off downloading your favorite songs and put them on your phone instead.

droid976

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ever consider the Radio.com app (CBS Radio affiliates) or I Heart Radio app (Clear Channel affiliates) that covers a lot of music in most of the US in all types of genres........

Reactions: SebasCvdB

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I am still surprised companies still add FM radio to their phones.. I can understand cheap prepaid phones that don't have android but newer phones? no...

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. I am still surprised companies still add FM radio to their phones.. I can understand cheap prepaid phones that don't have android but newer phones? no...

They can be handy especially for those on limited data plans. Most international versions have them but it usually fails to transfer to the US. A number of HTC phones have an FM Radio including the Thunderbolt I had on Verizon and believe a couple of the motorola's also.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
During emergencies such as bush fires and cyclones mobile phone networks become useless for seeking information on finding a safe haven. Mobile networks are prone to power outages or too many people using the network at once. FM radio is the best alternative in broadcasting emergency information and feel it is absolute necessary to have a fm receiver on all phones. I know, I was caught in a bush fire once. FM radio emergency broadcast network provided directions on where to go to best avoid being surrounded by fire.

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
During emergencies such as bush fires and cyclones mobile phone networks become useless for seeking information on finding a safe haven. Mobile networks are prone to power outages or too many people using the network at once. FM radio is the best alternative in broadcasting emergency information and feel it is absolute necessary to have a fm receiver on all phones. I know, I was caught in a bush fire once. FM radio emergency broadcast network provided directions on where to go to best avoid being surrounded by fire.
There are scanner apps. For example "Scanner Radio" app, when I click on "Near Me".

Less than 25 miles away ...
- My state's Public Safety
- My county's Fire and EMS Dispatcher
- Skywarn Amateur Repeater
- My county's Police Dispatcher (and several nearby cities)
- Weather Radio
- Storm Spotter
+ 14 other stations

Yes, I realize it uses the data network. But it is still an option

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12