Screen Cracked, need to retrieve data.

Beth Terry

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my s4. My computer could not read the data on my phone because of the login PIN, which I could not enter because of the cracked screen.

I successfully used the method described by @Stewsa (watch that video!) and @Joe D2. However, I want to add some things to their instructions which are very important. I don't know if it's different with an s3 (because I never had one) but with my s4, after removing 9 tiny screws, I still had to figure out how to pry the back off. It was not easy at all. Radio Shack sells a mobile phone tool kit, which includes the right sized screwdriver, as well as several different plastic pry tools. This video shows how to use the pry tool to remove the back:

Mine did not come off as easily as the one in the video. And I had to do it TWICE -- to remove the back from broken phone and to remove it from the new phone. My fingers are still sore.

Once I had both backs off, it was easy to snap the ribbon from the new screen to the connector of the phone with the broken screen. And then presto! I could see everything on my phone, enter the PIN code, and access all my data to save it. And actually, all I really needed to do was move everything to my micro SD card and then put that card in my new phone to transfer the files. I moved all my apps to the SD card as well, so that when I reinstalled them on the new phone, the data would all be there. I don't know if there is an easier way to reinstall everything, but it has worked fine for me.

Oh, one other tip. Remove your data card and your SIM card BEFORE putting the back back on your phone. I made the mistake of leaving the data card in and put the back on over it so that I couldn't get the data card out. I had to go through that damned screen removal process (9 screws and pry, pry, pry) a THIRD time to get my data card out.

IhsanJoint

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You guys....

You know what, print this out using a 3-d printer, and put these on. That's all. And your tip on getting the back cover off and removing the sd and SIM cards is priceless, and saved lives. No joke!!
DIY+No+Sew+Super+Hero+Costumes+(6).JPG

Attachments

• 69599013371a44e7d2bao-500x354.jpg
    69599013371a44e7d2bao-500x354.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 243

mbolin99

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Could you explain this process more? I have my old phone taken apart in front of me and my new phone just arrived. Not sure how I would connect the old phone into the new screen.

Nicki Gregory

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a nokia lumina 520 windows phone with a shattered glass screen. how can i retrieve my data before i sell it or have it fixed? i need phone numbers and backup data i had saved to the phone from the app backup. can u help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Juan Sanchez

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, i'm actually wondering if the screen conector for the different samsung mobiles is the same tipe? Let me explain, i own a s2 with a brocken screen and i recently got a s3 and a friend of mine would let me use his s3 mini if the screen connector should be the same, does anybody know before i take the whole thing apart if the screen connector are compatible? TIA for your help :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
could you tell me the procedure for how to connect to the computer via USB and use windows explorer?
What are you having problems with specifically?
It's generally straightforward:
- connect the phone to the computer (be sure you're using a data cable)
- let Windows install the necessary drivers (may take five or ten minutes to finish; be patient)
- Windows Explorer should come up on its own once the drivers finish loading

You can try installing the Kies software (just Google it) to get the correct drivers installed.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Is there any other way to bypass a password using Kies? If not is there another program that might work.
No, there's no way to bypass it (wouldn't be much of a security feature if you could easily get around it).
There's some way that you remotely unlock it via the Samsung website - IIRC the link was in this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2868149

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

davidhornak

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

do you know how to delete on Samsung Galaxy Dropbox and others application before sending to repair, I dont want to send with my data to repair. The tablet is not responsing but is working, I backup the content, but now I need delete programs like Google disk and Dropbox.

Kimberly Hicks

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Could you direct me to the instructions on how to plug in the LCD from a new Samsung Galaxy S4 to a broken one, without removing the motherboard, so I can retrieve some information that I can't get using just a USB to my computer. Thanks :)

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are just wanting to see the screen because yours is broken, long enough to just get some information off. You may want to try connecting your S4 to at TV/monitor via a MHL cable. This will allow you to see what is on your broken screen on your TV. See cable at Amazon. This is assuming you phone is still function other wise.

littlemiffy

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
hi i'm not sure if you are the right person fingers crossed you are how can you connect the broken phone to the new phone so i can transfer my data across also will it work from my broken s4 to my sons s3 thanks

sharpting

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I was having the same issue. It might be a long shot but worth a try as it worked for me.

I first downloaded kies but I had the same issue with the phone being locked. Then I downloaded Myphoneexplorer. Tried to connect via a usb cable but it wouldnt connect. Then after a minute or two I noticed an explorer window had popped up allowing me to browse the phone. Note, that 'my computer' shows the phone but it's empty when clicking into it. I was also running my finger over the blank screen trying to unlock it.

So, to summarise, I have no idea what worked to actually get into the phone but I did the above and i'm in, pictures rescued.

It seems I can't post links so a quick google will get you the myphoneexplorer software. The site is fjsoft

Irishlass59

May 23, 2016
Visit site
lost contacts

My old droid phone died,I purchasesd a new droid turbo 2, when they were trasfering my contacts from my old to my new the girl answered my phone because it was ringing,she hung up, then tried to finish loading the contacts,they were gone!!!!!!!!! They say they are in my phone (Verizon) but have no idea how to get out!!!!!! can you HELP

Roger Addams

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I plugged my Samsung Galaxy prevail LTE into my computer's USB port and I can access my photos and a bunch of other folders. I could not get my contacts. I can access my photos and copy them onto my computer. Note that I am using a Linux based system call Ubuntu. It is a free Linux based operation system and you can run a trial without installing it. It should chow up on other machines if you have a file manager.

Sacul Lucas

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, how are you? I have a problem I have broken screen my Samsung, I have a question how can I unlock my Samsung Mega by using through PC keyboard, shown on pc screen, and type my original password Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20