Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default smileys

I am a new Android user and I HATE the android smileys. They look so damn freaky to me. Who's idea was it to remove the normal simleys we used for years. Is there any way to get those on my Samsung Galaxy S3 without having to use another app completely for texting. I miss the normal smileys I had on my blackberry and Iphone. Someone please help me. Note to Android makers this really sucks. Why did you have to go and change it. IF IT AINT BROKE THEN DONT FIX IT!!!!!!!! ughhhh
    Last edited by latinlady; 08-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Default Re: smileys

well the simple answer is: you're using a different platform, so you won't be able to find the ones you had before.

the better answer is: i downloaded an app called "go keyboard" and it has more normal looking smileys built in. also, download emoji icons if you can. i had them for my iphone. not sure how it works on android.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

thanks for the respond my whole issue is i dont want to have to use a different app to text those normaly yellow smileys. i downloaded go sms and for some reason it had my phone acting funny.i dont know why. i know android blackberry and iphone are all different platforms but why cant we all just use the same yellow simelys in the text app thats already on the phone. Those other downloads only work if the person you are sending it to has the same app. Then and only then wiil they be able to see the smileys. ugh

the thing about android is that different apps and software run differently on different models. it's not blackberry or iphone where one app works on any model across the board.

so what works for one phone model might not work for another. it is what it is.

I read your other post too, and honestly is it THAT much of a problem? that little green guy kinda grows on you after a while.

Hatren likes this.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I am a new user to the S3 and I agree that these green aliens are not only ugly, but are hard to distinguish between the different faces. Sometimes it is good to leave enough alone. I am having enough issues trying to get this phone to be useful in a work environment which IMHO Android is still not ready for prime time

I think if you send a smiley to someone on a different platform it should show their smiley. BTW it iis not an Alien it is the Android mascot Andy. Just look at the defauld Avatars for the posters.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

LOL I know it's the droid mascot, but I still think it looks more like Kazoo from Flintstones. The problem with these "Andy" icons is they all look too much alike to my aging eyes.

Red face Re: smileys

I totally agree that android smylis are very very ugly smilys should be emotionic. i was using old sony ericcson (w810i, k530 etc) and they had those yellow smilys very very cute and vey nice to see them but i totally hate these android robot smilys. i want to change these smylis so badly :<

Quote Originally Posted by nuwancy View Post
    I totally agree that android smylis are very very ugly smilys should be emotionic. i was using old sony ericcson (w810i, k530 etc) and they had those yellow smilys very very cute and vey nice to see them but i totally hate these android robot smilys. i want to change these smylis so badly :<
    As stated above it can be changed using a different keyboard from the Play Store.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)

I have to agree... "Andy" regardless if mascot or alien is the worst smiley face. He IS ugly, and plain ol' stupid looking. But as another user said, you just can't distinguish what face it is... what is the point trying to use emoticons to present your message in the tone you want if you can't reasonably use/recognize them?? Don't take it personally, but PLEASE let it be known up the ladder. This is only a sampling of many users! It's dumb -- and something that Android should at least let you have an option of changing without having to download a new app.

I've just switched after using Blackberries for years (switch forced by carrier, NOT by choice. And ... although Android offers customization... this is about the 8th or 9th thing that I cannot customize that should be BASELINED into your SW. Dumb dumb dumb! And "ANDY" doesn't even have a THUMBS DOWN! < eye roll >
    wezhind likes this.

Well, add me to the list of people who absolutely, unequivocally, HATE these droid emoticons! Hate them, hate them, hate them! Hence the reason I am here. I agree that besides them being uberugly, they are hard to distinguish. What is the point of an emoticon when you can't see the daggone emotion???

And I too am like the other users, I do not want to use a different app for messages. I just want the cute, yellow emoticons back. (Arms crossed and pouting with my tears)
    wezhind likes this.

You should not need to use a different Messing app, you should be able to just use a different keyboard.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)
    Thanked by:

Although I agree that the smileys suck, I think people are making a bigger deal than it really is, everyone needs to step back from that ledge lol. I agree w/ Shenette though, if I had the option to vote for emoticons i'd rather have the yellow smiley faces.

My ultimate wish would be to be able to upload your own in there, a long time ago, when I used to use MSN messenger, I was able to save emoticons from forums boards and use them/upload them in MSN messenger. The person on the other side would be able to see them when i sent them. this was awesome cause I had really funny ones and people would ask me how i did it.
    Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4g > HTC Evo 3d> Galaxy S2> Sprint Galaxy S3> Tmobile Galaxy S3> Tmoble HTC One & Asus Transformer Pad Infiniti

Question Re: smileys

GT, I absolutely love the little Android smiley icon. He's really cute, but I was wondering if there are any icons like him that are for say rolling eyes.

Thank you.
    Lucia

If you download the go keyboard, you still will use your stock messenger. Not go sms, but just the go keyboard. This way you will have all of your old smilies and more!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 :*

Using a different Keyboard does not solve this issue. I previously had a Droid Razr Max - both the default keyboard and the one I downloaded - "Smart Keyboard" had normal, yellow Smileys.
    Now I'm on Samsung Galaxy S3, and not only does the default keyboard have the dumb, green Smileys, but the APP Smart Keyboard has them as WELL. So somehow the phone is forcing Green Smileys...even on a different Keyboard. Ugggghhhhh : (

How do you do emoticons on instagram?? People do kissy face emoticons and soccer balls and fire flames. And I want to too. How do you? I jave a Galaxy S 3 that I just got and it's making me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    I think if you send a smiley to someone on a different platform it should show their smiley. BTW it iis not an Alien it is the Android mascot Andy. Just look at the defauld Avatars for the posters.
    This. If you type in a text message, for example, a semi-colon ':' followed by a right paren ')', your phone interprets that as the Android wink smiley. But what it sends to the recipient is just those two characters ";" ")". The recipient's phone will translate that into whatever smiley their phone translates those characters into. People who get your messages will only see the Android smiley if they have an Android phone. In which case nothing you do will change what they see.

Quote Originally Posted by camtah View Post
    I am a new user to the S3 and I agree that these green aliens are not only ugly, but are hard to distinguish between the different faces. Sometimes it is good to leave enough alone. I am having enough issues trying to get this phone to be useful in a work environment which IMHO Android is still not ready for prime time
    See above. What you see has nothing to do with what your business recipient's see. Why are you sending smiley's in business communications anyway? I can tell you if someone sent me a formal business communication with a smiley I'd take them less seriously.

As for "ready for primetime" there are millions of these phones in the hands of business users. What issues are you having? If you expect it to work like a BlackBerry, then you're out of luck. No two platforms are going to work the same way. But if you have specific issues you'd like help with, I'd suggest starting a new thread with the proper subject line rather than taking this one off-topic.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    GTWalling likes this.

I can't see the facial expressions on the Droid smileys. Tried changing the keyboard, but I am addicted to Swype. I'm not so worried about what I'm sending out, it's the text I'm receiving. I can't read the sender's emoticons. I have a Samsung ll Rocket. Got into applications, but I don't have applications settings for smileys. Any other ideas? I"m really grateful.
    DJS88fan likes this.

AFAIK, there are only two options: Live with it, or buy a phone with a different OS.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

I just fixed this by downloading Handcent. No new keyboards just a different and absolutely fine mms/sms system. Got the yellow smileys back and can now understand other people's emoticons again!
    DJS88fan likes this.

I can't find them at all. I have the new S4 and just want to do some form of faces. Can someone tell me how? Thanks!!!

Uberugly ! That's the word ! ;-)

Download kii keyboard then go to settings install emoji pack...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

I HATE the android smileys. Hate them.
    It is almost impossible to see the faces so you cannot tell what they are supposed to mean.
    ONe of the worst things about the phone
    DJS88fan likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast