Jelly bean update and bluetooth Calling issue

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a SG3 running 4.1.1 on TMob, I also have an Audi S5 2013, Ive had no problem whatsoever, wife tells me calls are clear with no dropped calls or breakups.
Sorry to mess things up, but now Ive got my fingers crossed nothing goes bad.
You're not messing things up. More power to you! Like I said a factory reset seems to have solved most of my bluetooth issues. Although things aren't perfect they are at least working.

Audi Dan

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with my 2009 Audi. Bluetooth worked fine with old S3 Android Version software. 4.1.1 now causes real problems. This really stinks as I am in sales and on the road LOTS. I can't be without the bluetooth feature.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with my 2009 Audi. Bluetooth worked fine with old S3 Android Version software. 4.1.1 now causes real problems. This really stinks as I am in sales and on the road LOTS. I can't be without the bluetooth feature.
This page AUDI - Bluetooth compatible devices shows the latest version of bluetooth supported by Audi. For now it's still showing the following as the latest firmware officially supported:
Tested firmware: Android 4.0.3, I535VRLD5
Last change: 08/31/2012

As I said it seems to be working much better for me after a factory reset although it is not perfect. I can at least make calls even though the signal meter on my dash does not agree with my phone.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
How do I do a Factory Reset? Sorry about needing to ask, but I am not up to speed on these phones.
System settings -> Backup and Reset.
Just understand that a factory reset will wipe EVERYTHING from your phone and it will be just like the day you got it (except with Jellybean instead of ICS. This is the most drastic measure that can be taken but if you go to Verizon or call Samsung they will most likely make you do this before going on to next steps. If your contacts and calendars are sync'd with Google or your Exchange server they will come back once you re-establish those accounts. You should try to back up as much as you can to somewhere before doing the factory reset. Also, it may or may not help. Sorry to give you all the risks but you need to be aware before taking the factory reset step... :) Good luck!

gstetz

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I have a moto razr maxx xt912 with ICS and now pair and connect to my 07 Nissan Versa bluetooth but when I call or receive can only talk on the phone not car system, even though I answer or place the call with the system controls. Level Three at motorola says wait and see if Jellybean update fixes the issue. They know about it even though it took to level 3 to get an answer. It is a google issue not the phone, or carrier. They both throw their hands in the air and say wait and see. I am fed up.
:-X

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
My story is a bit different, but possibly helpful in understanding the issue. I had a T-Mobile HTC One S running ICS. I got a 2013 Volt with the full Nav package which includes Bluetooth. In the case of GM they recently turned over the support of Bluetooth to On-Star. GM stopped doing the software builds themselves for all GM brands. Long story, short... I had the same connect/disconnect issues + garbled communication problems many of you are having with your GS3's on jelly bean. I worked very closely with the special GM Volt customer service team on the issue. What they determined is that On-Star was using older Bluetooth protocols that worked only with certain carriers versions of ICS. For example, it was comparable with the AT&T HTC One X, but not the Bluetooth software on the T-Mobile One S. On-Star then updated the Bluetooth software via an OTA update and my One S began to work perfectly. Clearly it was an issue with the software On-Star was using.

Fast forward two months and I now have upgraded to a GS3 that came pre-loaded with 4.1.1. I am having absolutely no issues with the Bluetooth program in the Volt. In fact I have a TecTile setup in the car and it is set to turn Bluetooth on and off in the car. Again, no issues with pairing and loading my contacts into the system on the car. My feeling is, based on my very frustrating experience with the One S and On-Star, the issues lie with the automobile manufacturers, or whom ever builds their Bluetooth software for their cars, and not the phone manufacturers or carriers. It is the automobile manufacturer's responsibility to insure the Bluetooth protocols they are using are comparable with the various OS builds...not the other way around.

IAPNMC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having exactly the same issue: after the upgrade, the connection is unusable. I tried my old Droid, and it worked just fine. There is no reason to allow this to go on, as it should be backward compatible. ( I have a 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe that I certainly like more than a stupid phone. I tried to insert a clause in my contract that stipulated if they changed the system to render features inoperable, my contract would be void, but I could have had better luck trying to get an ATM to bake cookies...)
Anyway, if they don't fix it, I plan to let everyone I know who is considering a phone to be wary of the Samsung...

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having exactly the same issue: after the upgrade, the connection is unusable. I tried my old Droid, and it worked just fine. There is no reason to allow this to go on, as it should be backward compatible. ( I have a 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe that I certainly like more than a stupid phone. I tried to insert a clause in my contract that stipulated if they changed the system to render features inoperable, my contract would be void, but I could have had better luck trying to get an ATM to bake cookies...)
Anyway, if they don't fix it, I plan to let everyone I know who is considering a phone to be wary of the Samsung...
I could be mistaken but I don't believe the problem is a Samsung issue. From what I've seen it's a Jellybean issue.

IAPNMC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You are right, as it was working previously before the upgrade. Verizon seemed at least polite about it, but that still leave me with no where to go. It's really a joint issue, as you can't load another operating system onto the Samsung!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You are right, as it was working previously before the upgrade. Verizon seemed at least polite about it, but that still leave me with no where to go. It's really a joint issue, as you can't load another operating system onto the Samsung!
My own feeling is that there are backwards compatibility issues. As I've said previously a factory reset seems to have fixed most of the problems and the bluetooth is at least usable now. Strange thing is I tested my S3 with an old Plantronics bluetooth earpiece and it seems to be working fine. My guess is that the Plantronics is not nearly as sophisticated as an car bluetooth system. In any case, I'm keeping a periodic eye on the Audi site to see if they upgrade their drivers to 4.1 rather than the 4.04 that they claim to support.

Direwulff

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I am also having issue with my Verizon s3 after upgrade to jelly bean on my toyota prius. This update complete broke the ability to use the device connected as a bluetooth tether for data. The only other method to connect is Toyota's entune sw which is completely broken. This tethering work around was a lifesaver and is now totally broken by this update. Someone in this thread said they rolled back to ICS how did you complete this please?

miata492

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and I too am having issues with bluetooth and my Verizon GS3 after the JB update. I can pair the phone fine but when you make a call, BT disconnects and then reconnects about 45 seconds into the call. I had a RAZR HD for a short time and that did the same exact thing which made me get rid of it. Then the JB update happens on the S3 and here we go again! All of my other headset and devices work with no issue, it is just the VW bluetooth which is phone only. I am now back to using my Jabra Cruiser which is a pain! My wifes S3 does the same exact thing in my car but both of ours work fine in her MB R350. After reading thru the thread it looks like a lot of Infiniti and VW people are having this problem. I going to look into some of the VW forums to see if there are any findings out there.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and I too am having issues with bluetooth and my Verizon GS3 after the JB update. I can pair the phone fine but when you make a call, BT disconnects and then reconnects about 45 seconds into the call. I had a RAZR HD for a short time and that did the same exact thing which made me get rid of it. Then the JB update happens on the S3 and here we go again! All of my other headset and devices work with no issue, it is just the VW bluetooth which is phone only. I am now back to using my Jabra Cruiser which is a pain! My wifes S3 does the same exact thing in my car but both of ours work fine in her MB R350. After reading thru the thread it looks like a lot of Infiniti and VW people are having this problem. I going to look into some of the VW forums to see if there are any findings out there.
We need a Porsche person to chime in... ;) That way we can show that it's the VW, Porsche, Audi system that is a partial cause of the problems...

Audi Dan

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I did the Facory Reset and my 2009 Audi and SG3 still won't work together. It connects for a few seconds, then disconnects. Due to the dirverse makes of car having some sort of problem, I'd say it is a Android software problem. It really needs to be addressed.

I have been asking my Audi dealer for possible updates to the car and getting nothing. I'll keep you posted.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the Facory Reset and my 2009 Audi and SG3 still won't work together. It connects for a few seconds, then disconnects. Due to the dirverse makes of car having some sort of problem, I'd say it is a Android software problem. It really needs to be addressed.

I have been asking my Audi dealer for possible updates to the car and getting nothing. I'll keep you posted.
I've got a complaint registered with Audi as well. I'm thinking that as long as they say they will only support up to 4.04 that Google is off the hook.

spaided

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
After JB update (tmobile gs3) my double sin jvc head unit drops the blue tooth connection every couple of minutes when attempting to stream any media to the radio. The phone portion seems to never have any issues. I don't know how my old HTC sensation worked flawlessly then I upgraded and now have less features..... Come on Samsung and android Central. Yall have some serious pull, help us out. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums