1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Device Idle Battery Usage

Hi,
    I have an S3, non-rooted, updated to Jelly Bean (4.1.1) and am curious about the battery usage. I am finding since the update from ICS to 4.1.1 that the battery times actually seem slightly worse. Here is a screenshot:

Not sure exactly what is going on with 'Device Idle'. I've read suggestions about going to airplane mode for overnight, but I don't find that an acceptable solution. I have disabled as much bloatware as I can, but the phone still seems to suck power like a fiend when just sitting there (no screen usage). I do have account sync turned on for GMail but I'm not sure that can account for such high idle consumption. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Default Re: Device Idle Battery Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers4Ever View Post
    Hi,
    I have an S3, non-rooted, updated to Jelly Bean (4.1.1) and am curious about the battery usage. I am finding since the update from ICS to 4.1.1 that the battery times actually seem slightly worse. Here is a screenshot:

Not sure exactly what is going on with 'Device Idle'. I've read suggestions about going to airplane mode for overnight, but I don't find that an acceptable solution. I have disabled as much bloatware as I can, but the phone still seems to suck power like a fiend when just sitting there (no screen usage). I do have account sync turned on for GMail but I'm not sure that can account for such high idle consumption. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
    Anyone who says Account Sync uses a lot of battery need to do a little more testing. It may just be me but having account sync is not a problem. The problem would be the rate the account pushes to get new information. I have Gmail, Email (outlook), facebook, instagram, facebook to sync and it's not a problem.

From what I understand Device Idle stands for the amount of battery the phone uses while the device is idle. Mine is only 6%. Your results are so mixed it's hard to say something.

Early before 4.1.1 there was a bug about Cell Standby making it seem like it used more battery then other things, but that was fixed with 4.1.1 for me. So unless you still have that bug, you're phone must be in a location with bad signal a lot of the day. If you indeed get bad singals then the radios will use more power to try to keep or find signals, making the phone use more power while on standby waiting for texts, calls. Do you have wifi calling enabled that may help to enable it to be used. Your overall battery time doesn't seem that bad, just the fact that it uses a lot of juice while idle.
    Thanked by:

1. Try turning Google Now off.
    2. Removed all active apps and clear ram.
    3. Turn off Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth
    4. Turn Power Saving on.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    So unless you still have that bug, you're phone must be in a location with bad signal a lot of the day. If you indeed get bad singals then the radios will use more power to try to keep or find signals, making the phone use more power while on standby waiting for texts, calls. Do you have wifi calling enabled that may help to enable it to be used. Your overall battery time doesn't seem that bad, just the fact that it uses a lot of juice while idle.
    This might be the issue. The building where I work is built like a bunker and the phone gets a very poor signal for phone and almost no data signal for most of the work week. I do have wifi calling enabled but have it set to 'cell preferred'. Having wifi calling enabled wouldn't help much at work as only corporate execs and approved visitors are granted wifi access. I'll do some additional testing but I think you provided the most likely answer. Thank you!