Need to transfer game files from old phone to my new S3

collectoons

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
On my old phone I had moved my 4 Angry Birds games (sans Star Wars) and a couple other apps to my sd card. I have plugged my sd card in to my new S3 but it doesnt see anything on there and the apps arent appearing. How do I get those files to load in to the new phone? Thanks for your help

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
root the old phone, backup apk and data from those games with mybackup pro. Move the reware folder from the old phones internal memory to the sdcard. Root the new phone, install mybackup pro and do a restore of those games.

You do have to root.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the phone will also void the warranty. To answer your question Move the App Data to the internal SDCard. You can do this connecting to your PC and use Windows Explorer. As for the apps they would be at the Play store under your Gmail account. You should maybe install the apps before moving the data.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That won't work because you have to move the data back and it is read/write protected unless you root.

Rooting does void the warranty but if you un root if you have issue, they are none the wiser

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

collectoons

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
there is another issue; my old phone no longer has service since the number was transferred to the new one and the S3 uses the micro SIM chip and I cant swap it back in to the old phone for a temporary service fix. the old phone does not have the Backup app on it, so even if I root it how would I get the data off...unless I can copy it all off using the USB cord to my PC

Last edited:

collectoons

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
ok, the first time I tried it just kept saying 'no service', which is before I made that post. ok, both phones are supposedly rooted now after hours of back and forth on them. how do I actually view the full file structure on each phone and extract all the files and settings from the old phone and move them to the new phone? i have tried viewing in windows explored using the usb and mass storage but I see no difference. thanks for all your help so far

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No problem. As I said in the second post, get my backup pro from the play store, backup what you need, move the reware folder to the sdcard. Move the sdcard to the new phone and replete the process only this time do a restore instead of a backup

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

collectoons

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I put the backup on the sd, put the sd in the s3 and imported, but when I tried running the apps all of my game data wasnt there (it just installed fresh copies of the games). :(

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The games will be there but the data won't. Anything game progress you had saved is gone. I faithfully use "My backup pro" and love it but any time I've restored from a backup, I had to start all my games over. None of my progress was there. I hated that because I had almost all the levels in Angry Birds done and had to start over. I'm pretty sure the game saves are gone. I've never gotten em back. If Pizza dude has then he knows a lil more than I do and can help me too

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

collectoons

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried those but it was actually more complicated, and backing up angry birds after rooting doesnt save your highscores at all. this is what I had to do, but I did get it to work.

1. rooted both phones
2. installed connectbot on both phones (free from appstore)
3. followed the directions here to extract the score files from the old phone
Angry Birds Ultimate Backup Tutorial for all Platforms | AngryBirdsNest
note: connectbot only likes to work when in debugging mode and the usb is plugged in to the pc
4. exited connectbot after extracting all of the highscore and settings files
5. connected as mass storage to copy .lua files from old phone to local hard drive (backup) and to the sd card in the phone (because it wound up saving them to the phones memory instead during extraction
6. turned off mass storage. unplugged old phone. put sd card in new phone. turned on new phone. plugged in usb to new phone.
7. opened connectbot on new phone and used the CAT command as listed in the link above.
found a site that lists some connectbot commands for help
A List of Commands for the Android ConnectBot | Chron.com

I pushed the old Angry Birds score file over so far, turned off connectbot, loaded the game and all of my scores were in there. a bit of a hassle, but it saved me a ton of playing time to have to redo. now Im pushing the other 3 game's files over now. hope this helps someone else.

genielind

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Quick question for you... I bought the back up pro and backed up my apps to the sd card but it will not back up any of my paid apps. Do you know why?

moodyj

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Once both phones are rooted why not use titanium backup to save the app data. Then download app on new phone and then restore app data from backup (obviously move backup files to new phone.)

Is there a limitation on this working going from one Android device to another? This works all the time and all scores are saved whenever I update the software on my phone and have to do a clean install.