Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Default Otterbox, Commuter or Defender case?

Hi community,

First post here, I am new to androidcentral. Anyways, I have a hard time choosing either those two cases. The Commuter is cheaper and not that bulky, but the Defender have maximum protection. I want to ask, how much thicker is the Defender case than the Commuter case? Is it really that bulky when you hold it in your hands or put it in your pocket? Also, how much more protection is the Defender than the Commuter case? Thanks.

Default Re: Otterbox, Commuter or Defender case?

Quote Originally Posted by ipwn3r456 View Post
    Hi community,

First post here, I am new to androidcentral. Anyways, I have a hard time choosing either those two cases. The Commuter is cheaper and not that bulky, but the Defender have maximum protection. I want to ask, how much thicker is the Defender case than the Commuter case? Is it really that bulky when you hold it in your hands or put it in your pocket? Also, how much more protection is the Defender than the Commuter case? Thanks.
    From my experience a defender will make any phone atleast 3/4 of an inch thick.

i have tha defender its great, yes it does add a lil bulk but to me tha protection is wort it. also tha belt clip doubles as a stand to watch movies

I used the Defender and was unhappy with the way the corners pulled away. Got the Seido case to replace it with. The Seido seems more durable and better fit.
    Amazon.com: Seidio BD4-HKR4SSGS3 CONVERT Combo for Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535/ SPH-L710/ SGH-I747 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Just 3/4 of an inch? According to the specs it saids 1.41 inches for the thickness...

Just 3/4 of an inch? According to the specs it saids 1.41 inches for the thickness...
    That has to be over exaggerated. Maybe it's the thickness with the belt clip attached. A standard brick is about or exactly two inches...there is no way a case is that thick.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Oh. 3/4 of an inch isn't that bad, considering that my phone with my current cheap case is already about 1/2 inch. Probably the Defender is just the size of two Samsung Galaxy s3's... Oh by the way, have you guys heard of the Armor by Otterbox, which is going to be released in a month. It provides much more protection, but should I wait? Or just get the Defender case instead?

To show what I am referring to with the corners.

SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)

I have had both but prefer the Defender. Check out my review on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    I used the Defender and was unhappy with the way the corners pulled away. Got the Seido case to replace it with. The Seido seems more durable and better fit.
    Amazon.com: Seidio BD4-HKR4SSGS3 CONVERT Combo for Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535/ SPH-L710/ SGH-I747 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Couple of questions:
    Q1: How long was the Defender in service, What caused the edges to pull back?
    Q2: Did you contact Otterbox on the issue? In-warranty /out of warranty?
    Q3: How long have you had the Seidio BD4-HKR4SSGS3 CONVERT Combo for Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535/ SPH-L710/ SGH-I747 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black?

I used the Defender about 3 months. Don't know what caused the corners to give. Been using the Seidio about a month now. Seems sturdier than the Defender and same size. No screen peotector though. I do like it better with the hard backing holding the rubber cover in place.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)

Just another option for you. I have, and love, this case. I used Incipio with my Blackberry 9700 and it was a sturdy, durable case that lasted two years without a hiccup.

Now on my GSIII:

Amazon.com: Incipio SA-302 Silicrylic Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core for Samsung Galaxy S3 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black/Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Sorry for long delay. Was researching of those cases, it looks like the silicone of the Defender is bad quality. And I heard that it's stretchable. Is that true?

Sorry for long delay. Was researching of those cases, it looks like the silicone of the Defender is bad quality. And I heard that it's stretchable. Is that true?
    I would have to say yes, look at the pics I posted above showing such.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Umm, are there any alternatives for the Otterbox Defender Case? Griffin doesn't make survivor cases for android... Anyone have some suggestions?

Umm, are there any alternatives for the Otterbox Defender Case? Griffin doesn't make survivor cases for android... Anyone have some suggestions?
    I'm using:
    Body Glove ToughSuit Case For Samsung Galaxy S3 - Black - 9310001

Body Glove Tough Suit 810g mil tested Galaxy S3

Body Glove ToughSuit Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Black

FEATURES

The Body Glove ToughSuit case (Black/Black) for your Samsung Galaxy S3 is engineered to meet MIL-STD-810G Military standards. In other words, this product is built to withstand the roughest of conditions.

ToughSuit's built in screen protector shields your Samsung Galaxy S3 from scratches, while the outside cover is made of shock absorbent rubber to protect your device from bumps and falls. ToughSuit also includes a detachable holster with belt clip that keeps your Samsung Galaxy S3 securely attached to your body.

------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS

SKU Code: 9310001

Color: Black

Screen Protection: YES

Body Glove Toughsuit Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 Black 9310001 | eBay

Sold on Ebay
    Seller: Neato250 (Payment shows as going to Fellows LLC, Parent company for BodyGlove._