galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

dead_pixel

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
While watching a movie on my galaxy s3, after about 5 minutes my phone will freeze audio still plays but my touch screen and phone remain unresponsive after that it restarts. I'm using my external SD card to store my movies, it's a SanDisk mobile ultra 64gb XC class 10. The movie is mpeg4 and about 1.2gb ,I have no idea why its freezing I have tried deleting and reinstalling the movie and clearing media data both did not work. Any info on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
While watching a movie on my galaxy s3, after about 5 minutes my phone will freeze audio still plays but my touch screen and phone remain unresponsive after that it restarts. I'm using my external SD card to store my movies, it's a SanDisk mobile ultra 64gb XC class 10. The movie is mpeg4 and about 1.2gb ,I have no idea why its freezing I have tried deleting and reinstalling the movie and clearing media data both did not work. Any info on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.

Factory Reset your android device and check.
Any update on this? No offense lynnneil, but are there any better suggestions other than "just wipe out everything that you have set up" in hopes of resolving an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place?

It sounds like I have the same issue and I think I have the 16GB version of that card, but I can duplicate the problem while simply browsing the photos on the card in the stock Gallery app also.

coxley24

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My friend has a Galaxy S3 and it does something similar. His actually freezes and locks the whole phone while watching a movie off the SD Card and he has to do a hard reset. He also has a SanDisk card. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and I haven't had an issue thankfully. We looked up similar issues like these on the net and it seems S3's have issues with some SanDisk cards. He tried my PNY card and had no issues. He has one ordered now. It's such a weird thing....

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
In my research, I'm finding some correlation between formatting the card exFAT and FAT32 - has anybody tried formatting the card differently?

Personally, I ordered the card, got the card, put the card in, and started using it. I didn't do anything other than that, and I don't even know what it's formatted as right now... But I thought FAT32 had a 2- or 4-GB format capacity, right? How would that even be valid with a 16+ gb card?

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
In my research, I'm finding some correlation between formatting the card exFAT and FAT32 - has anybody tried formatting the card differently?

Personally, I ordered the card, got the card, put the card in, and started using it. I didn't do anything other than that, and I don't even know what it's formatted as right now... But I thought FAT32 had a 2- or 4-GB format capacity, right? How would that even be valid with a 16+ gb card?
Ok I just backed everything up, put the card back in the phone and formatted it via System Settings > Storage > Format SD Card. Then I copied my stuff back onto the card.

...NOW, the Gallery crashes mere seconds after it opens and it kicks me back out to the desktop.

Continuing my research.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok I just backed everything up, put the card back in the phone and formatted it via System Settings > Storage > Format SD Card. Then I copied my stuff back onto the card.

...NOW, the Gallery crashes mere seconds after it opens and it kicks me back out to the desktop.

Continuing my research.
I just downloaded the SD Card utility, did a full (not overwrite) format in my laptop and copied my stuff back onto the card. This time, I also cleared the cache and data for the Gallery app. Then I browsed through the pics that are on there and the the Gallery app crashed out and put me back onto the desktop.

I don't know where to tell this thing to format exFAT or whatever... does the S3 do that automatically?

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
No just made sure it would format it to Fat32.
I **really** expected my problem to be due to BusyBox. So I backed up the stuff I needed and reset the phone to factory settings. I formatted the SD card again with that sdcard.org utility and then copied my photos and videos back onto it.

Then I set the phone back up and made sure that BusyBox did not go back onto it. I put the SD card into my phone and opened up the Gallery and it crashed still. WTF!?

Is it maybe a photo or video that was created already that is causing an issue still? I'm pretty sure that I have everything imported into my photo gallery server at home, so my next step is to format the card and record some new stuff and see if it crashes again.

Aside from that, my next assumption would be a bad SD Card.

ComputerJAM

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it maybe a photo or video that was created already that is causing an issue still?

That is something to look into. I had an MP3 go rogue on me and I only narrowed it down when it crashed my phone multiple times on the same song.

Instead of loading all of your info back onto your SD card, try just loading the offending movie file. Play it and see how it does. If it crashes, delete it and try a different file. If that plays then you found your culprit. If the second one doesn't play I would say, after a little more testing, that your card would be at fault.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
That is something to look into. I had an MP3 go rogue on me and I only narrowed it down when it crashed my phone multiple times on the same song.

Instead of loading all of your info back onto your SD card, try just loading the offending movie file. Play it and see how it does. If it crashes, delete it and try a different file. If that plays then you found your culprit. If the second one doesn't play I would say, after a little more testing, that your card would be at fault.
Good suggestions. However, I'm thinking that it is going to be a substantial effort to find the offending file (pic, recorded video, or converted movie). I say that because just this morning I was watching Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead and my phone hung and restarted about 2 minutes in to the show. Then, like a lunatic always does, I just tried it again. It played through the entire show without a hiccup.

My *GUESS* is that the phone is freaking out when it caches a certain file or files. I'm going to just take everything off of the card, format it (again) - possibly with the 'overwrite' feature - and just record some new videos, take a few pics, and see if the Gallery crashes again while browsing them.

Does anybody know of a good way to test the card? Android or Windows app? I don't mean a speedtest - I mean like chkdsk.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Good suggestions. However, I'm thinking that it is going to be a substantial effort to find the offending file (pic, recorded video, or converted movie). I say that because just this morning I was watching Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead and my phone hung and restarted about 2 minutes in to the show. Then, like a lunatic always does, I just tried it again. It played through the entire show without a hiccup.

My *GUESS* is that the phone is freaking out when it caches a certain file or files. I'm going to just take everything off of the card, format it (again) - possibly with the 'overwrite' feature - and just record some new videos, take a few pics, and see if the Gallery crashes again while browsing them.

Does anybody know of a good way to test the card? Android or Windows app? I don't mean a speedtest - I mean like chkdsk.
I think I'm good now. That format with overwrite took a while, then I put the card back into the phone (empty this time) and recorded a couple videos and took several pictures. I opened up the Gallery and browsed through them and everything else for a solid 5 minutes without it kicking me out. Looks like it was a (few?) corrupt file(s). Interestingly enough, everything on the card was created by the phone.

I'm going to leave all of my previous pics and videos off of the phone for now and I'll try to track down when/if it happens again.

xSharkox

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Any issues yet? This is currently happening with me, I was thinking it could have been a corrupt file or files as i have different folders in my SD card which i can all browse my pictures and videos on perfectly BUT the folder which store videos and pictures taken with the phone that is stored on the SD card crashes my phone when i try to browse videos and pictures on it. is storing pictures and images taken with the phone onto the SD card with the S3 creating corrupt files? :eek: i don't think i had any problems when storing them onto the phone memory, but i was hoping to save space by storing them onto an SD card.

Yehhhhhh my DCIM folder on my SD card deleted itself wtf... i plugged it into my pc and now its gone. thats sooo stupid

Last edited:

Dana Parson

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
How did you get it to play after moving it to your sd card? I've been trying like crazy to get my s4 to play movies from it. I moved the movie folder to the sd card but wont start playing. Do i need to download onto the sd card mx player?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800