Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    While watching a movie on my galaxy s3, after about 5 minutes my phone will freeze audio still plays but my touch screen and phone remain unresponsive after that it restarts. I'm using my external SD card to store my movies, it's a SanDisk mobile ultra 64gb XC class 10. The movie is mpeg4 and about 1.2gb ,I have no idea why its freezing I have tried deleting and reinstalling the movie and clearing media data both did not work. Any info on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.
  2. #2  
    lynnneil's Avatar

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Factory Reset your android device and check.
  3. #3  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by dead_pixel View Post
    While watching a movie on my galaxy s3, after about 5 minutes my phone will freeze audio still plays but my touch screen and phone remain unresponsive after that it restarts. I'm using my external SD card to store my movies, it's a SanDisk mobile ultra 64gb XC class 10. The movie is mpeg4 and about 1.2gb ,I have no idea why its freezing I have tried deleting and reinstalling the movie and clearing media data both did not work. Any info on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnneil View Post
    Factory Reset your android device and check.
    Any update on this? No offense lynnneil, but are there any better suggestions other than "just wipe out everything that you have set up" in hopes of resolving an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place?

    It sounds like I have the same issue and I think I have the 16GB version of that card, but I can duplicate the problem while simply browsing the photos on the card in the stock Gallery app also.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    My friend has a Galaxy S3 and it does something similar. His actually freezes and locks the whole phone while watching a movie off the SD Card and he has to do a hard reset. He also has a SanDisk card. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and I haven't had an issue thankfully. We looked up similar issues like these on the net and it seems S3's have issues with some SanDisk cards. He tried my PNY card and had no issues. He has one ordered now. It's such a weird thing....
    iPhone 3G, HTC Inspire 4G, iPod Touch 4th Gen, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
  5. #5  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    In my research, I'm finding some correlation between formatting the card exFAT and FAT32 - has anybody tried formatting the card differently?

    Personally, I ordered the card, got the card, put the card in, and started using it. I didn't do anything other than that, and I don't even know what it's formatted as right now... But I thought FAT32 had a 2- or 4-GB format capacity, right? How would that even be valid with a 16+ gb card?
  6. #6  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    In my research, I'm finding some correlation between formatting the card exFAT and FAT32 - has anybody tried formatting the card differently?

    Personally, I ordered the card, got the card, put the card in, and started using it. I didn't do anything other than that, and I don't even know what it's formatted as right now... But I thought FAT32 had a 2- or 4-GB format capacity, right? How would that even be valid with a 16+ gb card?
    Ok I just backed everything up, put the card back in the phone and formatted it via System Settings > Storage > Format SD Card. Then I copied my stuff back onto the card.

    ...NOW, the Gallery crashes mere seconds after it opens and it kicks me back out to the desktop.

    Continuing my research.
  7. #7  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Ok I just backed everything up, put the card back in the phone and formatted it via System Settings > Storage > Format SD Card. Then I copied my stuff back onto the card.

    ...NOW, the Gallery crashes mere seconds after it opens and it kicks me back out to the desktop.

    Continuing my research.
    I just downloaded the SD Card utility, did a full (not overwrite) format in my laptop and copied my stuff back onto the card. This time, I also cleared the cache and data for the Gallery app. Then I browsed through the pics that are on there and the the Gallery app crashed out and put me back onto the desktop.

    I don't know where to tell this thing to format exFAT or whatever... does the S3 do that automatically?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    The phone or PC will only format to exFat on a 64g card. You can download software to format it to Fat32 which is what I did and have no problems with my 64g Sandisc class 10 card. I used SDFormater.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

    If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button


    Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
  9. #9  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    The phone or PC will only format to exFat on a 64g card. You can download software to format it to Fat32 which is what I did and have no problems with my 64g Sandisc class 10 card. I used SDFormater.
    Yeah that is the one I downloaded and used also.
    I left all of the settings at default. Did you do anything special?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    No just made sure it would format it to Fat32.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

    If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button


    Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
  11. #11  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    No just made sure it would format it to Fat32.
    I **really** expected my problem to be due to BusyBox. So I backed up the stuff I needed and reset the phone to factory settings. I formatted the SD card again with that sdcard.org utility and then copied my photos and videos back onto it.

    Then I set the phone back up and made sure that BusyBox did not go back onto it. I put the SD card into my phone and opened up the Gallery and it crashed still. WTF!?

    Is it maybe a photo or video that was created already that is causing an issue still? I'm pretty sure that I have everything imported into my photo gallery server at home, so my next step is to format the card and record some new stuff and see if it crashes again.

    Aside from that, my next assumption would be a bad SD Card.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Is it maybe a photo or video that was created already that is causing an issue still?
    That is something to look into. I had an MP3 go rogue on me and I only narrowed it down when it crashed my phone multiple times on the same song.

    Instead of loading all of your info back onto your SD card, try just loading the offending movie file. Play it and see how it does. If it crashes, delete it and try a different file. If that plays then you found your culprit. If the second one doesn't play I would say, after a little more testing, that your card would be at fault.
  13. #13  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerJAM View Post
    That is something to look into. I had an MP3 go rogue on me and I only narrowed it down when it crashed my phone multiple times on the same song.

    Instead of loading all of your info back onto your SD card, try just loading the offending movie file. Play it and see how it does. If it crashes, delete it and try a different file. If that plays then you found your culprit. If the second one doesn't play I would say, after a little more testing, that your card would be at fault.
    Good suggestions. However, I'm thinking that it is going to be a substantial effort to find the offending file (pic, recorded video, or converted movie). I say that because just this morning I was watching Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead and my phone hung and restarted about 2 minutes in to the show. Then, like a lunatic always does, I just tried it again. It played through the entire show without a hiccup.

    My *GUESS* is that the phone is freaking out when it caches a certain file or files. I'm going to just take everything off of the card, format it (again) - possibly with the 'overwrite' feature - and just record some new videos, take a few pics, and see if the Gallery crashes again while browsing them.

    Does anybody know of a good way to test the card? Android or Windows app? I don't mean a speedtest - I mean like chkdsk.
  14. #14  
    etnpnys's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Good suggestions. However, I'm thinking that it is going to be a substantial effort to find the offending file (pic, recorded video, or converted movie). I say that because just this morning I was watching Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead and my phone hung and restarted about 2 minutes in to the show. Then, like a lunatic always does, I just tried it again. It played through the entire show without a hiccup.

    My *GUESS* is that the phone is freaking out when it caches a certain file or files. I'm going to just take everything off of the card, format it (again) - possibly with the 'overwrite' feature - and just record some new videos, take a few pics, and see if the Gallery crashes again while browsing them.

    Does anybody know of a good way to test the card? Android or Windows app? I don't mean a speedtest - I mean like chkdsk.
    I think I'm good now. That format with overwrite took a while, then I put the card back into the phone (empty this time) and recorded a couple videos and took several pictures. I opened up the Gallery and browsed through them and everything else for a solid 5 minutes without it kicking me out. Looks like it was a (few?) corrupt file(s). Interestingly enough, everything on the card was created by the phone.

    I'm going to leave all of my previous pics and videos off of the phone for now and I'll try to track down when/if it happens again.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    Any issues yet? This is currently happening with me, I was thinking it could have been a corrupt file or files as i have different folders in my SD card which i can all browse my pictures and videos on perfectly BUT the folder which store videos and pictures taken with the phone that is stored on the SD card crashes my phone when i try to browse videos and pictures on it. is storing pictures and images taken with the phone onto the SD card with the S3 creating corrupt files? i don't think i had any problems when storing them onto the phone memory, but i was hoping to save space by storing them onto an SD card.

    Yehhhhhh my DCIM folder on my SD card deleted itself wtf... i plugged it into my pc and now its gone. thats sooo stupid
    Last edited by xSharkox; 04-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 freezes and restarts when watching a movie off sd card help please..

    How did you get it to play after moving it to your sd card? I've been trying like crazy to get my s4 to play movies from it. I moved the movie folder to the sd card but wont start playing. Do i need to download onto the sd card mx player?

Similar Threads

  1. 32GB Galaxy S3 is merely a 16GB with a 16GB Micro SD Card?
    By Starblaster in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  2. galaxy s3 freezing when opening apps?
    By kyle washburn in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
  3. EVO LTE freezing and restarting.
    By nieuwiefan in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
  4. browser freezes and closes when going back
    By jlongjr27 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
  5. EVO 3D Freezes and restarts while charging
    By BiGsMiLeSKyLe in forum HTC EVO 3D
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Posting Permissions

B