Unlocked S3 Tethering?!?! Straight Talk

Mohsin Mohsin

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have an unlocked t-mobile galaxy s3 and i am using Straight Talk.

I was able to use tethering, but once i updated the phone to 4.1.1 I was not able to tether anymore.

Is there a way to bypass this? can I root my phone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

cekelle24

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about T-Mobile, but I'm using a rooted AT&T GS3 on Straight Talk and was able to download the "WiFi Tether for Root Users" App. In settings select >Change Device-Profile>Generic ICS/JB(wlan0). Make sure Change Setup-Method is set to auto.

To make tethering work I had to go into the APN and remove the proxy address so that under Proxy is says Not Set. Settings>More Settings>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>Straight Talk.

So far I've had no issues with this as I am typing from my laptop that is tethered to my Straight Talk GS3. :)

davidow

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about T-Mobile, but I'm using a rooted AT&T GS3 on Straight Talk and was able to download the "WiFi Tether for Root Users" App. In settings select >Change Device-Profile>Generic ICS/JB(wlan0). Make sure Change Setup-Method is set to auto.

To make tethering work I had to go into the APN and remove the proxy address so that under Proxy is says Not Set. Settings>More Settings>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>Straight Talk.

So far I've had no issues with this as I am typing from my laptop that is tethered to my Straight Talk GS3. :)
Hello do You still tethering on your phone
Using same settings ?
And what rom are you using? Thank you in advance.

Matt Peterman

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How about using wireless tether on a straight talk/tracphone s968c gs3 I have it cydiaimpactor rooted and using the Trev E wireless tether mod but it still doesn't broadcast the SSID. Any ideas?

grahamc1965

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
use aptoide to get foxfi 2.12.2.and also grab the foxfi key. Any version of foxfi after 2.12.2 i think is when they were bought out by pda.net. And those products do not work very well to tether with .
Also , if you tether your laptop, you should get a user string changer for whichever browser you are using . That way it will show up a a android device , and it will not go against your tethering limit .
If you are using android 4.3 , it becomes much more difficult to tether, and a few other programs and steps are needed to make it work .

Jessicayoung320

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a question, I have a straight talk galaxy s3 that I paid $400 from walmart cuz I figured I was getting a phone that would have unlocked type of capabilities. Otherwise I could've just signed a contract. I specifically researched this phone for mobile hotspot capabilities it it had it. Walmart told me it had it also. But they lied. My phone doesn't even have the capabilities for hotspot. So I was told to root my phone, paid for it, after guaranteeing it would have hotspot and after working several hrs, he couldn't even get it to work but my phone is correctly rooted. Is there anyway to bypass, straight talk programming to make my phone have mobile hotspot in phone settings like it should've had in the first place? Or is there any tethering app available that will allow me to tether a straight talk brand o phone through an app? I've tried everything n every tethering app out there & nothing works because the option to turn on tethering isn't even an option when I go into settings. He has done several S3 S-TALK phones without fail. Please help! I can pay for anybody's services that can help me. Thanks..

Last edited:

Daltsy

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a question, I have a straight talk galaxy s3 that I paid $400 from walmart cuz I figured I was getting a phone that would have unlocked type of capabilities. Otherwise I could've just signed a contract. I specifically researched this phone for mobile hotspot capabilities it it had it. Walmart told me it had it also. But they lied. My phone doesn't even have the capabilities for hotspot. So I was told to root my phone, paid for it, after guaranteeing it would have hotspot and after working several hrs, he couldn't even get it to work but my phone is correctly rooted. Is there anyway to bypass, straight talk programming to make my phone have mobile hotspot in phone settings like it should've had in the first place? Or is there any tethering app available that will allow me to tether a straight talk brand o phone through an app? I've tried everything n every tethering app out there & nothing works because the option to turn on tethering isn't even an option when I go into settings. He has done several S3 S-TALK phones without fail. Please help! I can pay for anybody's services that can help me. Thanks..
I actually found an answer, however you might not like it. I have the EXACT same thing as you do, because I got my phone from Walmart through Straight Talk, Samsung Galaxy S3, and I figured out that Straight Talk phones can't do it because it's against the terms and services of Straight Talk. If you do manage to find a way, they might shut your phone down. I don't know way they won't let us, but for some reason they have it down in their agreement. Sorry about not finding what you were looking for, but I hope this helped.
-Daltsy

Aaron Brunero

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is in the terms but I still do it. Different phone all together though. HTC8X. Only reason I haven't upgraded is because I anticipate tethering to be an issue if I do.

You can tether because of the phones programming, not because straighttalk has put in restrictions over the network.

phaylen

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site

I NEVER would have purchased the walmart samsung 3 for straighttalk if I knew it was a gimped and incomplete version of a samsung with fewer features and options. I was also decieved. Does not have mobile hotspot or tethering.

Tommy Massengill

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
There is a way. been using it since i got my s3 from walmart. Download wifi tether router (requires root permissions). Ive tried this on several phones.....

Getting Wifi Tether hotspot to work on Galaxy S3 (SCH-S968C)Straight talk---------
After root, download (wifi tether router) from the play store. (requires root access)
open the app, click configure wifi router, and change the following settings. Do not change anything else!

Network name ssid: (yourname)
Wifi password: (yourpassword)
Interface: wlan0
Method: 3 - HostApd
Wifi Channel: 1
Encryption : WPA2-psk
Drivers: nl80211
HostApd Patch: UNCHECKED

Enable Wifi FIRST before enabling the wireless tether! This ensures the SSID is broadcast.
each time you enable wifi tether router, it can take up to 45 seconds for it to activate, so please be patient with it. You can hit the home button to continue with what you need to do while it activates and runs in the background.

So far this is the only working method for wifi tethering on straight talks galaxy s3's. Have not tested it on other devices, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Tommy Massengill

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
There is a way. been using it since i got my s3 from walmart. Download wifi tether router (requires root permissions). Ive tried this on several phones.....

Getting Wifi Tether hotspot to work on Galaxy S3 (SCH-S968C)Straight talk---------
After root, download (wifi tether router) from the play store. (requires root access)
open the app, click configure wifi router, and change the following settings. Do not change anything else!

Enable Wifi FIRST before enabling the wireless tether! This ensures the SSID is broadcast.
each time you enable wifi tether router, it can take up to 45 seconds for it to activate, so please be patient with it. You can hit the home button to continue with what you need to do while it activates and runs in the background.

So far this is the only working method for wifi tethering on straight talks galaxy s3's. Have not tested it on other devices, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Marcia Jones1

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Brittany Wright1

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

How do you get root access?