Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I wait the for new S3 with LTE?

I'm currently under contract with AT&T but was going to switch to T-Mobile as early as this weekend and get a S3. But after hearing the news from CES about T-Mobile now planning on releasing a revamped S3 to support LTE, I'm thinking should I wait a few weeks for that now. Seeing how I can be impatient though I was thinking of still getting it in a few days and just hope T-Mobile release the LTE version withing 30 days so I can return the older version for that one. Does this sound like a logical plan or should I deal with AT&T for a few more weeks?

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default Re: Should I wait the for new S3 with LTE?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhall2502 View Post
    I'm currently under contract with AT&T but was going to switch to T-Mobile as early as this weekend and get a S3. But after hearing the news from CES about T-Mobile now planning on releasing a revamped S3 to support LTE, I'm thinking should I wait a few weeks for that now. Seeing how I can be impatient though I was thinking of still getting it in a few days and just hope T-Mobile release the LTE version withing 30 days so I can return the older version for that one. Does this sound like a logical plan or should I deal with AT&T for a few more weeks?

I don't think you should wait at all. They won't have a lot of coverage in the beginning anyway. Plus T-mobiles 4g HSPA+ is fast. I don't think you'd see a difference. People complain about speed sometimes cause they run these stupid speed tests but real world use is that the pages load just as fast and you have no issues. Don't get stuck into that hype.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That was something I did think about somewhat. I'm just ready to cut my bill and get unlimited data again, Thanks.

All so T-Mobile has not stated a release date for the LTE S3.
    [CENTER][COLOR="#0000FF"][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

I noticed that under network mode our phones say: LTE/GSM/WCDMA (AUTO MODE) . Does that mean we also will get LTE...

Forget to mention I am using T-Mobile..

Sent From my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    I noticed that under network mode our phones say: LTE/GSM/WCDMA (AUTO MODE) . Does that mean we also will get LTE...
    I know right? A large discussion about LTE happened when TMobile's S3 got the 4.1.1 update. Samsung, T-Mobile, CNet all said that T-Mobile indeed had the LTE chip and that all it needed was an updaate to use it. A lot of people did not believe it due to the unknown information of which band LTE would be on T-Mobile. Now that we know what bands or at least a band then will use for LTE, shouldn't the original S3's get LTE also?
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    I know right? A large discussion about LTE happened when TMobile's S3 got the 4.1.1 update. Samsung, T-Mobile, CNet all said that T-Mobile indeed had the LTE chip and that all it needed was an updaate to use it. A lot of people did not believe it due to the unknown information of which band LTE would be on T-Mobile. Now that we know what bands or at least a band then will use for LTE, shouldn't the original S3's get LTE also?
    That's been the question I've been trying to figure out for the last 2 days now. I'm probably just gonna get the original S3 this Saturday and hope for the best.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

That was something I did think about somewhat. I'm just ready to cut my bill and get unlimited data again, Thanks.
    Nothing wrong with wanting to cut your bill. I came from Verizon in late August and glad I did. I'm paying the exact amount for 4 lines with t-mobile as I was with 2 lines from Verizon. I wouldn't be concerned about LTE this and that. As long as they have coverage I don't think there is going to be much of a difference. If there is no coverage I just roam off AT&T network. Yes I realize there is a limited amount of data I can use according to the plan I have but it's available
    Thanked by:
    Last edited by GTWalling; 01-11-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    T-Mobile USA

Global Posts
    7,273 Global Posts

In addition to what's been said here about LTE deployment being sparse initially, also keep in mind that T-Mobile will be ending device subsidies in 3-4 months. So phones will have to be purchased at full cost. The LTE S3 probably won't be out then, but I thought I'd let you know regardless.

If the original S3 would work with LTE, then there would be no need to come out with a new one that would support LTE. Just saying.
    T-Mobile USA

How fast is the 4g with t mobile? I am with att and I get up to 20 mbs, but I can't even enjoy it because of the data limit to only 3 gigs. When I had my s2 with Sprint, I would get on average 6mbs which was enough for me. So does T-Mobile get around 6mbs? I don't care if I can get 30mbs with att since I can't even use my phone without me going over my data in 3 days.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?

I live in San Antonio and I pull average of 18 mb down on hspa + on tmobile. The fastest I've gotten here is 28mbs down. PLENTY fast enough.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    In addition to what's been said here about LTE deployment being sparse initially, also keep in mind that T-Mobile will be ending device subsidies in 3-4 months. So phones will have to be purchased at full cost. The LTE S3 probably won't be out then, but I thought I'd let you know regardless.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the subsidies. The savings you get from a T-Mobile plan will more than make up for paying less up front and paying more every month with ATT. They also offer the ability to pay in installments so you pay less up front.. but pay about as much as ATT each month. The difference is your plan goes back down after the phone is paid off, unlike AT&T or Verizon where you will continue to pay more forever.

Also, not sure what area you're in, but maybe you're in one of the areas where T-Mobile refarmed the 1900Mhz spectrum. If that's the case, you can keep your current AT&T phone to use on T-mobile (as long as it's sim unlocked), and wait it out for the phone you want.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Update: I did went ahead and got the S3 last Friday. Loving it so far. Only problem I'm having to issues with WiFi which seems to be common as I'm reading about. I've doen what most ppl say (dial that #0001*) number or whatever. It seems to work at first but still at times it'll take some pages longer to load than needed. I'm probably gonna do a full restore right now to see if that'll help. Thanks guys for the comments and help.

ROM
    ICS playing with some JB

Kahn they already have it go get it

bad *** Baked sg3 http://dragcave.net/image/PQXh1.gif please click an view the egg http://dragcave.net/image/uUS85.gif