S3 Still not connecting to PC. I've spent hours searching for a solution

Sivan Khan

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm running 4.1.1 and every time I plug my device in (With stock USB) I get "USB device not recognized". Device manager gives me "unknown device"
I've tried another USB. I've downloaded Kies (Will only connect wifi), I've tried reinstalling drivers, I've tried using another computer as well. I've also enabled/disabled USB debugging,

The USB connection notification only appears sometimes, and even when it does my computer still won't recognize my S3. After I reinstall the drivers my phone does say "Connected as a Media device", but then the notification goes away..

FYI, I'm trying to root, that's why I need a direct connection with my computer so badly.

Running Windows 7 (32bit), have also tried connecting with Mac

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This has been know to works about 80% of the time, give it a shot. Completely uninstall Kies and the Drivers installed. Reboot the computer. Now download and install the latest version of Kies. Do Not Plug the phone in as yet. Once Kies and drivers are installed on your Windows 7 machine disconnect it from the internet. Once it is disconnected plug in your phone and let it install the drivers. Disconnecting the internet will force Windows to install the drivers from Kies instead of pulling their version from the Windows Update center. If this works Do Not Let Windows update the drivers through Window Update.

ComputerJAM

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Great advice from GTWalling (as usual). Another thing I noticed you didn't mention; trying a different USB cable. I've had one (non-stock) go bad on me before. Especially since you mentioned trying on different computers.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I was at the samsung.com place the other day and under the downloads I saw a driver for USB port for computers. You might want to give it a try I downloaded for my Galaxy S3 just in case.

Sivan Khan

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I was at the samsung.com place the other day and under the downloads I saw a driver for USB port for computers. You might want to give it a try I downloaded for my Galaxy S3 just in case.

Right, I've also done that as well. I've done it 3 times with 3 different versions of the drivers, both with and without the Kies. >____<

ComputerJAM

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Right, I've also done that as well. I've done it 3 times with 3 different versions of the drivers, both with and without the Kies. >____<

It seems like you have exhausted each externally affected option, all you seem to have left is something internal with the phone itself.

Have you tried to wipe and restore the phone OS? Maybe the USB driver on the device is corrupted.