Will Foxfi & PdaNet work for Samsung Galaxy S3 with MetroPCS ?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
A friend is considering buying a Samsung Galaxy S3 with MetroPCS as the carrier. Will Foxi and PdaNet+ apps work for wireless tethering? Just want to make sure that MetroPCS won't block these apps. BTW: I couldn't find a separate MetroPCS forum to post this question. Thanks! Casey

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi does not work on a S3 and I believe PdaNet also will not work but I have a Verizon S3 and HotSpot Toggle (widget) works on it

Joel Olsen

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I gave the galaxy s3 with metro pcs and I have used foxfi and pdanet flawlessly.. I still have ice cream sandwich on
Tho...I haven't heard any supporting evdence foxfi works with jellybean on metro..s3. But running
Icecream I play ps3 online all day with no lag.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update. My friend bought a new Samsung S3 yesterday for approx $300 plus tax, that includes 2 separate $50 discounts (instant & rebate). I also installed the minor upgrade from Android 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 (if I'm correct). I then installed both FoxFi and PdaNet+ to the S3 phone, and yes the apps work for wireless tethering! My friend was able to wirelessly tether to a Windows laptop and an Android tablet. I just wish the MetroPCS "4G" network was faster and with a stronger signal. But it's good enough for streaming YouTube videos, but not strong enough to stream movies using the TV Portal app. Oh well, at least it works! The nice thing is that MetroPCS only charges a measly $60 monthly bill for UN-limited everything! That price includes tax too! Pretty much can't beat that price anywhere! But as you probably already know, the major downside is that MetroPCS has limited coverage areas, plus they never have the new phones until many weeks/months later.

DFW101

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I use the LG connect, but my friend uses the Samsung Galx S3.... we both use PdaNet flawlessly. My buddy uses the Foxfi wireless and it wrks great for him. I personally use the USB tethered mode because of the increased speed I get by using USB. I stream movies all the time and watch TV using HDMI from my laptop to my TV with no buffering issues. I have absolutely no complaints. I gave up on Verizon and their ridicules prices... not to mention the cap limits. at $60 it is hard to beat this.

I am wondering how the merge with T-Mobile is going to effect things though.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I use the LG connect, but my friend uses the Samsung Galx S3.... we both use PdaNet flawlessly. My buddy uses the Foxfi wireless and it wrks great for him. I personally use the USB tethered mode because of the increased speed I get by using USB. I stream movies all the time and watch TV using HDMI from my laptop to my TV with no buffering issues. I have absolutely no complaints. I gave up on Verizon and their ridicules prices... not to mention the cap limits. at $60 it is hard to beat this.

I am wondering how the merge with T-Mobile is going to effect things though.

I've heard that when TMobile finishes their merger sometime in 2015, the current CDMA phones by MetroPCS will cease to work due to incompatibility with T-Mobile's GSM network. Hmmmmmmmm.

webb diver

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a brand new lg optimus 9 and it wont get passed that damn tmobile screen saying call customer service for hotspot. I have always use pdanet usb on my verizon htc rezound flawlessly
I hope i did not shoot myself in the foot trying metropcs. Is there a problem using pda net with the newer android operating systems? I have android 4.1.2

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a brand new lg optimus 9 and it wont get passed that damn tmobile screen saying call customer service for hotspot. I have always use pdanet usb on my verizon htc rezound flawlessly
I hope i did not shoot myself in the foot trying metropcs. Is there a problem using pda net with the newer android operating systems? I have android 4.1.2

I too had an impossible time trying to get Foxfi to work with a Samsung S3 phone by TMobile. However, the same Foxfi app works with a Samsung S3 phone by MetroPCS. This was for a friend I was helping. I don't know about the new Samsung S4 by MetroPCS, as I haven't tried that yet (only for the S3).