SGS3 t999 stuck on edge ugh

comraderudy

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a used 32GB Galaxy S3 from some guy on craigslist ($340). it was in great cosmetic shape and i tested it before making the deal by making a phone call (with my SIM). it worked, deal made. we picked up a new SIM, i unrooted (it was kind of a mess), did a full factory wipe/reset and performed all the official t-mobile updates.

the device works fine and can make calls without issue but will not switch to HSPA even when my Nexus 4 and daughter's GNex are on HSPA+. It remains stuck on edge.

Galaxy S3 T999
IMEI matches with the IMEI on the back of the phone
Most recent baseband version (T999UVDLJC)
Flash counter showed 15 but status is normal and allowed me to run t-mo updates

Any ideas, suggestions?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried changing the network mode?
Settings /more settings /network mode /make sure gsm/wcdma is selected, wcdma only or gsm only.

Dallin Goodrich

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Try rooting it, then using triangle away app to reset flash counter to 0 and make binary official, then use mobile Odin app or regular Odin for windows on computer to update back to latest unrooted jellybean. Should be perfectly stock then. No sign of ever rooting.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got a similar problem with a T999 I just bought on amazon. In auto mode I get no data connection. I get edge in GSM only mode and "4G" in WCDMA only mode but then it drops calls or has no signal off and on if "4G" is weak. The setting for auto says "LTE/GSM/WCDMA (Auto mode)" so I'm wondering if something is screwed up with the modem software and it's looking for lte. It shows as having been "modified" and updates are blocked via both OTA and Kies. But it's not rooted and is running from what I can tell stock 4.1.1. I really don't want to have to fool with returning it so thinking of trying the above to restore to pure stock. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2